bore snake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

bore snake

Post by Sigmar »

never used one and was told no chemicals needed. kinda skeptical. opinions
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: bore snake

Post by gamekeeper »

I use them on my rimfires and centrefires, I find them OK for lightly fouled barrels but if serious leading has to be removed the old rods etc have to be used.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I concur with game keeper and use them in the field but reserve the right to use rods, solvents, and paste later.
It is not the critic who counts
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

For a quick clean at the range or in the field they are hard to beat :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Paladin wrote:I concur with game keeper and use them in the field but reserve the right to use rods, solvents, and paste later.
+1
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have seen them used, but I don't have one. Just from observation, it appears that the posts above mine have said what I see from it. I think I will get one sometime since they are small and light enough to carry in a day pack for use if you get something in the bore.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I think most folks probably use them for quick removal of unburnt powder particles and light fouling, but they certainly can be used with solvents for more thorough cleaning. Once they get dirty, throw 'em in the washer.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

By the way - you CAN use 'solvents' with a bore snake.

I use a Tipton synthetic rod for 'heavy' cleaning after bad ammo or if the bore is really dirty, but the bore snakes do the rest really well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bore snake works alright to take the top off the powder fouling in the barrel, or if you put a dab of oil on it will oil the bore, but other than the light powder foul it pulls, you'll still need a good cleaning rod and jag to get a barrel clean.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I like them a lot and have a number of different bore sizes of course. I do use solvent on them, when they get dirty I put each in an old sock and run through the washer. Best not to mix them in with the normal laundry, trust me on this one. My wife was not a happy camper when that batch came out! :evil:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I use them like an old service pull-through, ie, with a patch in the end loop. I keep changing the patch until it comes out clean. I guess I sort of missed the concept but I figured that the thick cord and brush loosen the fouling and the patch drags it out. I finish with an oiled patch in the loop and give the snake a wash as required.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

A Fellow Shooter carries them in his kit to remove broken shells.

He has a .308 rifle with a poorly cut chamber and it is not unusual to separate a case. When that happens, Joe drops the Bore Snake down the muzzle and pulls it and the remains of the case out the breech.

I was more than bit skeptical until I saw him do it. Over the last Shooting Season, I bought one for ech of the calibers that shoot and put them in my range box -- JIC (Just in Case) insurance....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

game keeper wrote:I use them on my rimfires and centrefires, I find them OK for lightly fouled barrels but if serious leading has to be removed the old rods etc have to be used.
bore-snakes...a great option, especially when you're on a week long hunt...but i totally agree with "game-keeper"... :)
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

Bruce Scott, Thanks! That's a hellova tip. (Patch in the loop) I buy 2 of each of the calibers I shoot and use one with solvent and one just to "dry and dust the bore" I always take them to the range to clean the barrel periodically while I'm practicing.

On the Rossi 92, Bore Snake is all I use. I love that .357 but I will not take down another win designed lever gun again, Ever! Marlins Rule!!!
JP_TX
444 Marlin
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

JP_TX wrote:Bruce Scott, Thanks! That's a hellova tip. (Patch in the loop) I buy 2 of each of the calibers I shoot and use one with solvent and one just to "dry and dust the bore" I always take them to the range to clean the barrel periodically while I'm practicing.

On the Rossi 92, Bore Snake is all I use. I love that .357 but I will not take down another win designed lever gun again, Ever! Marlins Rule!!!
:D
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I use them frequently and have found them sufficient for most light cleaning when used with CLP. I don't think they do a good job of 'deep cleaning' a barrel though. On several occassions, I have followed a bore snake with a 'proper' rod, good solvents, a brush, and have been absolutely amazed at the filth still left in the barrel. If I go out back of the house and shoot a dozen shots at my metal dinger with a 32-20, I tend to use the bore snake. If I shoot more shots in a session or shoot small dozen-shot strings on a few different days cleaned only with a bore snake in between, I will take out the rod and clean the barrel the correct way.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

Thanks for the opinions
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A few passes with Kroil, or whatever, and a couple patches seems to do a pretty good job....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Most people overclean.

A boresnake works for keeping the piece from getting totally filthy. Since I mostly shoot FMJ it's enough.

If you want to kneel, prostrate yourself to the god of rifle cleaning while dousing yourself in Hoppe's and giving an offering of cotton patches and Rem-oil with the holy one-piece coated cleaning rod, go right ahead. But realistically, most of it's unnecessary unless you're shooting seriously filthy loads and lead bullets.

I have a boresnake for each major caliber (9mm, .45, 12 gauge, .30 rifle, .22/.223 etc) and one good rod with assorted gear, as well as an Otis kit.

Guess which doesn't see much use.....