My Latest Levergun Had A Slight Problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

My Latest Levergun Had A Slight Problem

Post by Shasta »

I drop by a local gun & pawn shop every Friday looking for bargains. Just before Christmas they had a Winchester Model 94 Canadian Centennial 1867-1967 rifle in .30-30 caliber with 26" octagon barrel. It was used, but overall in about 90% condition. It was very reasonably priced, and I felt it would make a good NRA Cowboy Lever Action Rifle Silhouette gun with the addition of a Marble's tang sight. I only have nine rifles that qualify for this sport, so I thought maybe I needed another back-up gun, so I bought it.

The bore was pretty dirty, but cleaned up nicely. I picked a good Marble's tang sight from my stash to put on the rifle. It was not drilled and tapped for a tang sight, in fact it had "CANADIAN CENTENNIAL" stamped boldly down the length of the tang. Well, I didn't buy it for "pretty", I bought it to shoot, so now instead of a "D" there is a neatly drilled and tapped tang sight screw hole in the rifle's tang. The new tang sight covers all that text anyway.

I took a box of my favorite cast lead hand loads and headed to the range to see how it would shoot. I loaded the magazine and proceeded to lever one into the chamber. When I tried to fire the rifle, well, she's a no go bang! Hmmm.... a quick check revealed that the lever was not quite tripping the safety behind the trigger. An extra squeeze on the lever took care of it and the rifle shot fine, as long as I squeezed that lever hard. But why was it doing that? One round refused to chamber completely, and after extracting it I saw that the bullet had distinct rifling marks around its circumference. None of my other three Winchester .30-30s had any problem with this ammo. I checked a few more loaded rounds, and each showed at least some rifling marks upon extraction. This rifle obviously had a short throat in the chamber. Here is a pic of a dummy round showing the rifling marks on the bullet:

A little reaming on the throat should take care of that, so I took the rifle back to where I bought it as they have a good gunsmith working there. I explained the problem and left him the rifle with a few dummy rounds. I didn't ask for a cost estimate as the reaming needed to be done in order for me to shoot my cast bullet loads. Three weeks later during my regular Friday visit, I asked one of the guys working the counter if my rifle was done yet. He said yes, he had seen the 'smith working on it and it was ready. He went in back and brought it out, the paperwork flapping merrily from a tie on the lever. I was a little worried at how steep the bill might be, as I had not asked for a quote. The counter man pulled off the paperwork, looked at it and said, "I hope you have this much money on you!"
The bill showed that the 'smith had disassembled the rifle, removed the barrel, reamed the throat, reassembled it and tested the sample dummy rounds. My jaw dropped a little when I looked down at the price and saw....

N/C - meaning "No Charge" :D

I guess it pays to be a steady customer! They wanted to make that rifle right for me. I haven't taken it back out yet, but I will soon, and I'm sure everything will be fine!

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Latest Levergun Had A Slight Problem

Post by TedH »

Can't beat that! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sweet deal. Now, I'll with hold my next comment until you tell us how it shoots. :D

I just wish I had even one gunsmith like that around here.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cool!!! I have it`s twin sister. A very good shooter she is to.
It looks like you are shooting the 311041 bullet the same as me.
I have had no issues with short leads with that bullet in any of my .30-30`s.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

The lyman bullet does that in all 4 of my Winchester 30-30's. I just have to seat them a little deeper. My Model 71 does that with the RCBS cast bullet too.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's great news...always thought that being a "loyal" customer has it's perks... :)
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

What a great looking rifle! I wish that we had a gunshop close enough so that I could be a Loyal customer.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Glad for the great service. Good luck and let us know how the range time goes
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

elmo123 wrote:The lyman bullet does that in all 4 of my Winchester 30-30's. I just have to seat them a little deeper. My Model 71 does that with the RCBS cast bullet too.
Yep!

Why I like the Saeco mold mo better!

I'd have waited to see how it shot before I did that reaming. But fully understand your reasoning.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That's a good looking rifle and good service. I hope all goes well from here.
Vash1023
Levergunner

Post by Vash1023 »

i need better pawn shops in my area ........ lol
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Well guys, I dredged up this old post because I finally got around to trying out my Canadian Centennial .30-30 after having the throat reamed to accept the Lyman 311041 cast lead bullet. I think that ream job did OK! :D Here's the best target of the day...

Bench rested at a range of 50 meters, it put three shots into 3/8", then after a slight windage adjustment of the Marble's tang sight, it did it again! Now all I have to do is get some sight settings for the 100 meter Pigs, 150 meter Turkeys, and 200 meter Rams, and I'll have another good NRA Lever Action Rifle Silhouette gun. Hopefully I can get those settings this coming weekend.

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Shasta wrote:I only have nine rifles that qualify for this sport, so I thought maybe I needed another back-up gun, so I bought it.
You are SO hooked...! :lol: :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Almost all the Winchester Commemoratives that I've seen or seen others have, have been great shooters. Congrats on finding another one!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

I think I have a keeper here! Today I took the Canadian Centennial .30-30 rifle to the NRA Cowboy Lever Action Rifle Silhouette match held at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club near Burney, CA. I got there early and was able to get settings for the Marble's tang sight at each of the four target distances (50 meter Chickens, 100 meter Pigs, 150 meter Turkeys, and 200 meter Rams). Shooting ten targets at each distance for score, I got nine Chickens, nine Pigs, five Turkeys (they are the hardest targets), and nine Rams for a score of 32/40, good enough to win the match! :D Whoo Hoo!!

SHASTA

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Confrats on some FINE shooting!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Yes indeed.

Confrats.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.