need a little help...reloading 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

need a little help...reloading 45-70

Post by big bear »

Raining ice water here today so cancelled my trip to the range. Loaded up some 358 Win , no problem. Got bold and loaded some 45-70...new WW brass, 405gr Rem bullet. All was going well till I thought I try a put a little roll crimp on (just ordered my Lee Factory crimp die,soit'll be a month before I see it) Lo and behold I produced a huge ripple halfway down the case. It chambers o.k. but it can't be too good for case life if nothing else. I read about this somewhere, don't remember when. So what's up? Safe to shoot the three rippled rounds? Its a moderate load and the rifle is a Browning 1886SRC thanks! :oops:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

If the rippled cartridges will still chamber, they are safe to shoot, Otherwise, you may have to pull the bullets and re-size the cases to take the ripples out. It sounds like you have your die set for too much roll crimp. You'll need to adjust the die up a bit to reduce the roll crimp.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

As Kirk said, too much crimp, Back it off. If they chamber ok they will fire form back to normal .
If you ordered that FCD from lee it may not take long at all. I ordered one from their web site last week and had it in 5 days. :wink:
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

If your Remington 405's are the same as mine, they don't have a groove for a roll crimp. Not if you are using them at in an 1895, can't comment on an 1886 but would assume that the max overall length is much the same.

I use the Lee FCD, works well.

Cheers

Mark
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

I suspected tht. The bullets have two proper knurled crimp bands then a finegroove at the lenght the bullet must be seated to not be over standard length. I have never seen factory ammo with this bullet,it wouldbe interesting to examine.What would the other two crimping bands on the bullet be?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

big bear wrote:I suspected tht. The bullets have two proper knurled crimp bands then a finegroove at the lenght the bullet must be seated to not be over standard length. I have never seen factory ammo with this bullet,it wouldbe interesting to examine.What would the other two crimping bands on the bullet be?
Those other two 'crimping' bands are probably for lube, although I'm not familiar with that bullet. The nice thing about the Lee Factory Crimp is that you don't need any crimp grooves .... it makes them for you when it crimps.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

KirkD wrote:
big bear wrote:I suspected tht. The bullets have two proper knurled crimp bands then a finegroove at the lenght the bullet must be seated to not be over standard length. I have never seen factory ammo with this bullet,it wouldbe interesting to examine.What would the other two crimping bands on the bullet be?
Those other two 'crimping' bands are probably for lube, although I'm not familiar with that bullet. The nice thing about the Lee Factory Crimp is that you don't need any crimp grooves .... it makes them for you when it crimps.
These are jacketed bullets, can't be for lube?