OT-Shooting An Original Colt S.A.A. Cavalry Revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT-Shooting An Original Colt S.A.A. Cavalry Revolver

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Guys,
This revolver is another one of those "Take home, clean, inspect and document this antique Pre-1898 Colt" story. My bud just snagged this very rare Colt S.A.A. cavalry revolver that is factory lettered to be shipped from the Colt factory in 1880 to their New York office. Its one gun in a shipment of 50. He said nothing about shooting it, nor did he say that I could not, but........I never ask these things. :wink: :D

It was inspected by Henry Nettleton, a civilian employee of the military. The last time this gun was shot was probably at Geronimo, Sitting Bull or maybe even Rin Tin Tin :D . I have already authenicated that the screws, cylinder bushing, base pin, front sight, back strap, trigger guard, and possibly the trigger have been replaced at some time. It even has the appearance that a rust blue was added maybe 75 years ago. But the barrel, cylinder, frame, ejector housing, hammer and the one piece walnuts are real deal as serial numbers all match as do the proper inspector's marks and cartouche. So, instead of being worth 25 or 30 g's, it might be worth 5-7. Oh well, lots of things can happen to a gun in it's 130 year old history.

I decided that before I rip this thing apart, I might as well shoot it :D I very carefully loaded up 6 rounds with 4.5 gr. of Unique with a 260 Keith. The velocity was so low that you can see the bullet's impact on the paper. (see photo) Maybe 500 fps. I ain't taking no chances with another person's gun :wink: Lock up is tight so I also suspect the innards have been replaced--I'll find out later.

I shot 5 shots--offhand-- at about 10 yards using a 6 o'clock hold. Sure was surprised to see them go into about 2+ inches. :D --------------------Sixgun

"Nosey" had to come over to see what the excitement was all about

Look at the bullet impact on the paper--There's 5 shots in there

Cartouche is there---barely

Miss Skittles relaxing at the shop
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Re: OT-Shooting An Original Colt S.A.A. Cavalry Revolver

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Like Hobie, I'm green with envy. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool. Love those ole SAA's.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very, VERY cool!!! 8)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Very, VERY cool!!! 8)
Ditto 8) :mrgreen:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice indeed.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Is the barrel a 7 1/2 "? Maybe my eyes are messin' up, but it sure looks shorter in the photo. I had a Cavalry Colt a good many years ago, but it looked ridden hard and put to bed wet. 1876 serial number, but the grips were very worn. I traded it for a MUCH nicer Bisley FSS.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mike, Its 7 and 1/2. As you know, these things are about impossible to find in original condition, unless of course, you have a money tree outside. I remember Bill Ruger had a like new one and its pictured in a book that I can't remember.

The more I get into this gun, the more Im finding ---and it ain't good. This gun could have been yours at one time and someone gave it a workover :D

Its still nice though and I'd like to own it, but that ain't gonna happen.----------Sixgun

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It can still be appreciated for what it is. Very cool. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Drool......
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

All I can do is hope to own something like that some day.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK, now that is about the neatest thing I have seen here. Thanks.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Jack, if your trying to find funds to aquire that 6 shooter, I'll help you out and give you $500 for one of those old nasty 1886 you got. I know, I know it's generous but I am trying to be a good friend. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is just awesome! To me it's perfect. It's cool cause it's original but it's not so good you can't enjoy it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Pardon My ignorance but what makes a Cavalry Model versus any other?
Nice Gun btw, in My favorite barrel length.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 to what Old Win said. Also COSteve, the Cimarron (and USFA) Cavalry clones are great for those whose ship hasn't quite arrived yet--and you can shoot (modern ammo) to your heart's content! My Colts'n'Rugersmith has had a few I've been able to behold--including a few apparently untouched--with provenance that suggests (at least to the imagination) that could have been proximate to Big Horn or the OK Corral, and it really does give goose bumps to speculate on the very-possible history. A friend also has a very rare Colt 2nd Gen "commemorative" - 100% clone of original, NIB. He is not a safe queen sort, but that one aint getting shot! It has all the correct stuff (incl the black powder bevel and screw, etc, of course)--but no fancy, scripted (etc) "commemorative stuff"--and is like looking at and handling the real deal but new. Not sure I know of Colt ever doing that (again), since the originals.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Still a pretty neat gun that im sure any one of us would not mind owning. Looks great also.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

:mrgreen:
Sixgun,
I am truly envious. The closest I can com is that I own a John T. Cleveland marked barrel. Oh yeah, I have one made in 1876 but not in great condition.
Why didn't you use black powder? You may have fired the first smokeless this gun has ever seen.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

pwl44m wrote:Pardon My ignorance but what makes a Cavalry Model versus any other?
Nice Gun btw, in My favorite barrel length.
Others more knowledgeable will chime in I'm sure, but a "complete original" woukd be the combination of date of mfgr (1873-??), the original single-piece walnut grips with inspection cartouche(s), what Army Div. Stamped on the bottom of the gripframe, "U.S." stamp on left side of cylinder frame (above the triggerguard, next to the dates), 7.5 bbl length--the standard for the military at the time and IIRC not (yet or for awhile) available--as standard--for civilian use I believe, (though this latter part may be questionable), and there may be some cylinder markings that suggest specific inspection as well. Later, "Artillery" models had similar features--including the cartouches--as they were essentially Cavalrys returned to the factory for cut-down to 5.5", the primary difference being in the process many or most were reworked and refitted and very likely resulted in many mixed parts. Lots of clones out there, and "fooleries" especially (easier) of the Artillerys, but having an original--especially a Cavalry--with all matching or correct numbers, etc., unmolested, but even if reworked, is a rare thing.
Edit: ...and oh yes, being a .45 must be a part of the above combination (.44-40s not occurring til '76 and not for Army use anyway).
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+ OldWin
"That'll Be The Day"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Lookee here--Its not mine! :D Its my buddies gun who owns Targetmaster. It ain't fair-he gets all the neat stuff, but.........I get to shoot them. :D The way I see it is that whenever we/us/regular guys buy guns, about 95% of 'em get shot once or twice and then we forget about them. This way I can shoot them but no need for a cash outlay. :D Then again, it ain't much of an investment :)

Thanks guys. I enjoy sharing these neat guns with you boys. I am truly blessed with a buddy like Tom. I can shoot anything he has, even his machine guns, but he has to be there for the full auto stuff. The guy probably has every G.I. 1911 45 auto ever made, along with like new National Match Garands, M-1 carbines, Civil War 1860's, Remingtons Zuave's, S.A Colts, double barrel Parkers, etc. The ONE type of gun he does not care for are LEVERGUNS. Hurray!!!!!!!!! He blesses me with whatever I want in this category:D ----------Sixgun

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote:Hey Jack, I'll help you out and give you $500 for one of those old nasty 1886 you got. I know, I know it's generous but I am trying to be a good friend. Tom
Tom,
We are friends and I would never take so much money from a friend. $500 is way too much. Give me $100. For that much money, I'll let you touch 'em :lol: :lol:

Hey---Morgantown this weekend. You going???? Its only about 30 miles from me (just off the turnpike) and its a new show with 500 tables--------------Sixgun

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Way cool Dude!!

I had a Real live Artillery model years ago. It had been "rode hard and put away wet" but still had
good markings. Sold it for a bunch a money but really wish I still had it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun,

Yes, it helps to have a friend in the business. I have been blessed with that also. A small shop run by one guy where you can hang out. Only downside is he likes the same stuff we do so I have to be patient but usually get a shot at it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.