OT - CURE the Indexing Jump in Your Dillon XL650

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

OT - CURE the Indexing Jump in Your Dillon XL650

Post by COSteve »

We've all seen that our Dillon XL650s Shellplates stop abruptly in position and this causes spillage of powder. We've all probably cut ½ coil off our Indexing Ball Spring to soften the abrupt stop and found that it works better but still our machines have that jerk at the end of the advance that can spill powder.

I decided to look over the operation to see if I could eliminate the abrupt stop completely, not just soften it. After observing the operation close up, I found that the abrupt indexing in the XL650 is the result of the press needing a slight adjustment. The abrupt stop is the result of the Shellplate 'jumping' into it's final position because the spring loaded Index Ball is pushing it into it's final position rather than the pawl driving it there.

It turns out that the Indexer Block (#16671 on pg 50 of your manual) can be adjusted fore and aft. It drives the Ring Indexer which houses the Indexer Pawl. All that's required is to loosen the two bolts on the Indexer Block and adjust it fore or aft until the Indexer Pawl drives the Shellplate exactly into it's final position. When you've got it adjusted correctly, the jump and resulting spilled powder will disappear.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are