Opening Weekend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Opening Weekend

Post by El Chivo »

Well I'm feeling fairly upbeat after Opening Weekend. Saturday I went out to the spot I planned, and although I didn't see anything I did get to check it out thoroughly. Here's a view at higher altitude:
deerhvn2.jpg
the spot in the lower left is where I was at dawn, so I could watch the creekbed. Then I hiked up to the interior.

There's quite a bit of sign around the edges but none in the center. That's because the brush has taken over again. Very thick and hard going. I was suspended like a fly in a web several times. If I go back I'm taking a chain saw.

This was very tiring and I had not gotten much sleep, so I decided to call it a day about 2 pm. As I neared the trailhead a man on horseback passed me with a forkie slung over his saddle.

So I was somewhat discouraged, but decided to go back Sunday for the late shift. I was well rested and wanted to check out one of the close-in spots. I'm glad I went because I ran into a party that had camped over. Turned out it was the guy who helped me lift my deer into the car back in 2006. We talked for a bit and he told me they have the best luck jumping deer out of their beds. They got two.

I went on to climb one of the near hills, just to see what might happen. I crested one small ridge and scared up a doe that was hiding in a cleft. I had a very easy shot as she made her way up the slope in front of me - too bad we hunt in such a goofed-up state. But, I enjoyed the nature hunt and, it was the first time I jumped a deer from bed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."