Anybody use Pistol Primers in rifle cases?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Anybody use Pistol Primers in rifle cases?

Post by Kansas Ed »

With the current shortage of primers, and having only about 700 LR primers on hand for the two of us, I'm thinking of trying Pistol Primers for some of my loads. Most specifically the black powder cartridges...40-82, 40-72, 38-72, and maybe some cast bullet 30-30 loads. All of these are cast bullet loads for us. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Ed
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Anybody use Pistol Primers in rifle cases?

Post by jengel »

I have done it. As long as you use the pistol primers in rifle, you should be OK in the loads you mentioned. The rifle primers are a little bit longer (by about .005" or so). If you use a rifle primer in a pistol, you might have a high primer situation and if you are using semi auto, you could get a slam fire. Just my $0.02.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

All targets below shot with Fed 150 . Loads are under 40,000 psi .

These are on the back of loading data card , not the best target shot with gun .

Image..Image
Image......Image
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Lots of times, Especially with 30/30 using Red Dot and Unique with the Lee 113 and 170 bullets. Forget which manuel it was, but said Pistol primers were good for 45000 PSI, but I keep loads under or around 30000 PSI
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Yep, all the time. 444, 45-70, 30-30, 25-35 and a lot more. Anytime I am using a pistol or shotgun powder, such as Unique, in a rifle case I use pistol primers.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Using rifle primers in a revolver will tie up your gun, though there ARE ways of seating them deeper-MAJOR PITA!

I've used pistol primers in rifles, and it works okay.

Something I've noticed, however, is that magnum primers are almost always on the shelf; I'm using magnum rifle primers for my cast bullet/pistol powder loads, since they're not gonna create pressure problems in low velocity loads.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I was told to try this for my rifle that does the light primer strikes, because the pistol primers should ignite easier.

It's good to know that they physically fit in there. Last time in our shop had some LP primers but no rifle.
Last edited by El Chivo on Sat May 02, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I'll start doing that for some of my Cast Bullet shooting. I've noticed that there seem to be plenty of Magnum Primers here and there too....so I'll pick up a box and see what happens.

Thanks,
Ed
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I generally use them in pistols or rifles... but I suppose a rifle case is as goood a place as any to store them.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I use Rem. 2 1/2 primers in all of my large, straight wall case lever gun rifle loads. That is a mouth full! 1886.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

2X22 wrote:Yep, all the time. 444, 45-70, 30-30, 25-35 and a lot more. Anytime I am using a pistol or shotgun powder, such as Unique, in a rifle case I use pistol primers.

That makes sense. Same powder, same primer.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

I shoot a lot of 45-70 BPCR reloads and use pistol primers all the time, usually Federal 150 Match. Reason is to decrease the brisance on ignition of the powder. Even add a 0.010 construction paper wad over the primer hole to decrease the brisance
Regards
John
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

El Chivo wrote:
2X22 wrote:Yep, all the time. 444, 45-70, 30-30, 25-35 and a lot more. Anytime I am using a pistol or shotgun powder, such as Unique, in a rifle case I use pistol primers.

That makes sense. Same powder, same primer.
Actually, Chivo, it don't. Some powders are hard to ignite, and the amount of flame put out by a large pistol primer might be enough to completely burn a pistol sized charge, but not enough to completely burn a rifle sized charge.

BTW, I should have addressed this earlier, but DO NOT use rifle primers for pistol or revolver loads! They have a LOT more power, and could cause detonation, where everything burns all at once, causing an explosion!!!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1