Left handed Bolt Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Left handed Bolt Gun

Post by El Chivo »

I did a little research last night on getting a left handed bolt gun.

Looks like Savage makes several nice rifles in left, one varmint centerfire, one 22 mag, one in WSM calibers and one in long-action (30-06, 270, etc.)

If I go ahead with one it would probably be a choice between the 270 and 30-06. I would be leaning towards the 270 because the idea is to hold dead on forever.

Any comments or suggestions?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Left handed Bolt Gun

Post by Pete44ru »

A BLR, a Savage 99, or a Winchester 88/94/95, can be had, reamed to cartridges of equal ability - and you'll still have it in a levergun !

For example: My .356Win BB94 with a Weaver V3 was good (2 1/2" 200yd groups) out past 275 yards - and that's further than I can see, never mind further than I care to shoot.

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Savage makes very good guns for the money. The adjustable trigger on the new models works great. I have a Savage left hand Model IGL Hunter in 223 Remington.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I'm left handed and have a LH savage weather warrior in .243 topped off with Talley rings/mounts and a Burris Fullfield II scope. Shoots great, is lightweight and weather resistant, I love mine. I'm going to purchase a matching one in .270 some day. I don't think you can beat it for the $.
:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I feel strongly enough to say that if I was in the market for another bolt action rifle I would only buy a Savage. I love my Model 10fp that much. The performance for the money can't be beat.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have a Browning Abolt LH in 270 win. Shoots great. I had peep sights on it for a while and could easily hit clay pigeons sitting on the berms at 200 yds. I put a 3x9 scope and 1 moa or better was the norm. This one was worked on before I bought it, barrel shortened to 20" action bedded, and a recessed crown. It gets boring after a while,I think I will sell it and look for a 99F in 300 sav or 308 win. It carries very nice with the peeps, but I am really a lever fan at heart.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Many moons ago, I picked up a southpaw Remmy 700. At the time they were the only production left handed bolt gun on the market. It's a 30-06. Never regretted it. While Savage certainly makes nice rifles, and have a pretty good selection, and price wise they are less than the Remington models, take a look at the 700's. They are worth the money.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

How about a Winchester '95 in .270?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

If you want a good, accurate LH bolt gun with a great trigger on a budget, get a Savage.

If money doesn't matter, get a Savage and a really good scope.

My choice of cartridge would be the .25-06.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

A few years ago I bought a new left hand Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker in .270 and installed a 3.5-14x40mm Leupold VXIII. Total came to just over $1,400. I really like the short 70 degree bolt lift, and the rifle is a tack driver. Yep, that's a lot of dough, but I doubt I will ever need to buy another bolt action deer rifle in my lifetime. This one does everything I am capable of doing! :D
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I have three LH Savage bolt guns. One in .22,a .223 and a .30-06. They are all tack drivers but the '06,a heavy bbl. "tactical" :roll: model was the hardest kicking rifle I've EVER shot. I replaced the factory plastic stock with one from Lock,Stock and Barrel and it made a world of difference and it's nice to shoot now.
The .223 is more accurate than my buddies high dollar .223 Varmint rig so I put a Leupold scope on it that cost about the same as the rifle. :shock: It's absolute death on 'yotes and Fox though.
The only bolt gun I like better than my Savages is a Tikka Whitetail Hunter LH in .243. Those folks know how to build a trigger!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I did the same search/evaluation for my youngest son. He's left eye dominant and mostly right handed (kinda ambi) but I've taught him to shoot a rifle left handed.

I chose the Savage stainless with black poly in 30-06 - sporter weight. Topped it with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 BDR.

If you go this same route, you won't be dissapointed.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

My vote is for 30-06. Many more bullets available and molds if you go that route. CMP has LC Ball ammo for $250 per K. Good shooting ammo. Nice reloadable cases. I have a left hand Rem 700 in 22-250. I have never regretted buying it. It does not carry near as well as my leverguns though.
Jay
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.