Has any company ever made a reproduction Volcanic pistol?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Has any company ever made a reproduction Volcanic pistol?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I just think this would be very cool! 8) Probably not practical at all, but considering what a genuine Volcanic pistol would set you back, a reproduction would probably be the only way most of us could ever afford one.

So, second question. If some company did make one, would you buy it (let's say it was under $800), and in what caliber?
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I've gotta be honest with ya, I have heard the name "Volcanic" befoe but I have no idea what you are talking about. :?:

Ok, I Googled it and I remember now. Mine would have to me in .44 mag. I am not sure why, but it seems that it would be a good combo.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Because of the Volcanic's weak action design, even with modern metallurgy it would be limitedas to calibers. That might be a killer to get anyone to repro it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay - some slight modifications internally, and of course with the metals, to make it safe. Externally it would look pretty darn accurate.

I'm thinking a .44 Russian. Should be able to handle that round, and it would be mighty cool! 8)

Also, just for kicks, one in .22 LR!!! :wink:
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

http://www.armorvenue.com/western-pisto ... ss-finish/

Ha ha!
Here is a non-firing replica, but I bet in the right hands it could be converted to shoot hot glue boolits.

I had to Google these as I had never heard of them, and after looking at them I have to say I can see why that design went to the wayside.

I guess it is neat that they were "repeaters", and even leverguns, but imagine having to cock that thing with both hands in an old-timey firefight.
-yikes!

Probably better off hitting the assailant with it.
I guess one in .22 would be kind of fun I guess, but I'd never buy a repro of that design.

(And my wife is officially right: I'm no fun at all!)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott64A wrote:http://www.armorvenue.com/western-pisto ... ss-finish/

Ha ha!
Here is a non-firing replica, but I bet in the right hands it could be converted to shoot hot glue boolits.
Cool website! 8) But I want one that FIRES!

Still, the hot-glue "boolits" idea has a lot of potential... :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I remember an attempt to produce one in .22 LR but it was a flop either because of design problems or perhaps marketing. I think I have (or had) a photo but I can't find it at the moment.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Madcaster
Levergunner

Intresting ideal,but

Post by Madcaster »

it probably is too close to the multi-firing flintlock pistol,sales may not be so great...
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Delux non-firng model eh?

There was big auction earlier this month where a NIB Volcanic was estimated to go for about $60,000... :shock:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

there was a fellow in montana making supposed to be making volcanic rifles and pistols in 22 lr a few years ago. called themselves Meteetse Firearms. I have a sale flyer from them from years back, probably could find it, but i have written them to order one, heard nothing back, and have even called the number and someone else has that number now. suspect they never produced anything but a prototype or two. cannot find that business name listed anywhere in montana. the person at the phone number knows nothing about it, but says they used to get a few calls looking for them. Leroy Merz had an old replica volcanic in 22 rimfire, a pistol, a few years ago, but wanted 1000.00 and didn't even know if it was functional, hadn't tried even cycling a round through it. would be a really cool gun to play with and yes, i really want one too!![/i]
cable
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I might be mistaken but think its original design was for a sort of caseles ammo with the primer & powder charge in the bullet base.
Anyway it looks like a very weak critter to me. Would be cool I guess with a few modernizations.
Didn't S&W have patent & produce a few lever action pistols developed from the volcanic idea before Mr Winchester got ahold of it?

I forget the exact timeline but it went thru a few gunmakers & improvements on its way to becoming a henry.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Leverdude,
The Volcanic IS a lever action pistol! I believe they were mostly .41 or .31 caliber, and a brass cartridge.
They were finicky about cycling, and often had issues with jamming. B. Tyler Henry (of Winchester) reworked the Volcanic action into the Henry Rifle, after figuring out how to get the action to cycle more consistenly.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I had a .31 cal navy years ago. I found it while cleaning out a basement in an old house. Also a Stevens #44 .22 rifle. The lady said keep em!!

Anyway the one I had was for the very early caseless ammo leverdude spoke of and the breech bolt had no extractor,just a lump sticking out to fire the paper cap that covered the hollow base of the bullet that contained a VERY small powder charge. When fired ,everything went out the end of the barrel. Note: I never fired it but read about it in books.
My pistol was missing the grips and one side plate,and I had to soak it in oil for a month to get the lever to work.
I gave it to a collector friend 40+ years ago. :)
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Short version:

The Volcanic was actually the brain child of Smith and Wesson, who after acquiring the rights to the Rollin White patents, formed the Volcanic Arms Company. Oliver Winchester, a shirt maker was a major stockholder. The Volcanic arm was produced both as a rifle and as a pistol. The Henry 1860 is an improved volcanic - the major improvement being the ammunition!

The Volcanic used a caseless form of ammo, called a Rocket Ball - a hollow based bullet with a small BP charge in the base and covered with a priming charge of fulminate of mercury and a copper cup and brass anvil. Needless to say, it was not very powerful or reliable. It was the development of the 44 Henry Flat and the Henry rifle that - well, the rest is history! :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

marlinman93 wrote:Leverdude,
The Volcanic IS a lever action pistol! I believe they were mostly .41 or .31 caliber, and a brass cartridge.
They were finicky about cycling, and often had issues with jamming. B. Tyler Henry (of Winchester) reworked the Volcanic action into the Henry Rifle, after figuring out how to get the action to cycle more consistenly.
I knew that, but thought S&W bought the rights from somebody & improved it before Winchester improved it again. hard to keep it all straight but I knew it once :lol: