Winchester 94 in 32 spl.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 in 32 spl.

Post by OldWin »

As you probably know, a critical spot for Lube is the interface of the lifter spring and lifter. This is the weak link in a 94. Usually the pre-war guns seem a little less susceptible to wear here than the post war examples. Heat treat, most likely.
Also, make sure the action is clean, not just Lubed. Dirt and crud is what induces most wear on these old guns.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Yes I was aware of that OldWin. I really got in there, I was surprised how little fouling there was anywhere in the receiver or barrel.
Very well taken care of 94. The groves where the bolt ride's were almost clean. Someone cleaned it well before a long storage.
I use Q Tips for the groves with some Hoppe's #9, let it sit to loosen up any gunk. Barely any fouling residue'
The barrel was the cleanest part! Not bad for a 84 year old carbine. I just reoiled after a few more patches down the bore.
The guts are now well lubricated. After dinner I think I'll crack a beer and get lubricated myself!
Thanks for all the advise!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like you scored a good one. Glad it has a good home. Happy for you Johnny.

I may be having a "new something" showing up next week. :roll:
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Oh something new huh!
That's sounds very interesting.
Rifle ,shotgun or handgun?
Johnny :)
cheoah
Levergunner

Post by cheoah »

Congrats on your new 94. I’m new here, but long time .32 WS shooter and a big fan. I hunted some with my 1910 SRC when I was younger, but it got the most use as a farmer/cattleman up until my career change several years ago. I tired quickly of .22 when shooting bulls, or big boars, cattle that got hit by car in middle of night, etc. It was an effective tool for a necessary function. I did carry a BL-22 though for crows and varmints.

I’m about to work on both the BL-22 and the 94, and I just bought a Miroku made 94 SRC in 32 WS to shoot, essentially the same gun. For $899 I just could not resist, and it is a dandy. So I found this site during the course of my research.

Historically I have been able to find ammo fairly easily online, but it has been several years since, and it’s now made of unobtanium. Hopefully they’ll tool up and make some before hunting season, but I would not be surprised if they just keep making .223, 9mm, etc.

I’m researching reloading gear now. We used Lee stuff when I was a kid, and I had a very nice shotshell loader, a Spolar, back when I was shooting clays and bird hunting a bunch. I still have 10-12 lbs of powder, but I guess it wont do me any good with .32 WS or 9mm or .357/38 for that matter. Looking at the Dillon line but lots to learn about that, because its $$$, and components are scarce anyway.

That Remington Core-lokt is very effective. About 20 years ago, we had a steer break loose on loading day, and he made a big show of it. Crossed several of our fences, ran up the road a quarter mile, crossed 3 of the neighbors fences and then came back through them. Ran a quarter mile down the other way and slipped into the corn. That was it for that day, he disappeared like a phantom. Had I known at the outset I’d have backed off, sent everyone home, and shot him that evening. Like a good cattleman, I just assumed I’d get him in the trailer still, make a couple grand.

Alas, we spent the better part of 3 weeks hunting him. I’d get up in the morning and track him easily, with big bedding spots and giant cowpies with corn in it lol. He was smart enough not to eat himself to death in the corn.

He was a freak though. In a herd of docile black cattle and baldies I could easily walk among as they grazed and loafed, this guy had an enormous “flight zone”. As soon as he got you on his radar –from hundreds of yards away – he’d throw his head up, eyes start flickering (I imagined), and take off at a dead run, Forest Gump style. I mean he would not stop. Usually it takes a fair amount of pressure to get full grown cattle to jump fences, but this guy would be jumping them still a half mile down the road, with nobody in sight.

So then one morning my crew called me, (well heck no, they drove back, we didn't have cell phones yet) to say he was in with a group of heifers. We drove out there, and I shot him at a dead run, about 70 yards out. Lucky shot, he went down hard, legs came out from under him and he was gone. 1100 lbs at least, big framed continental steer. Really impressive stopping power with those 180 or 185 gr Rems, but I know I used some similar Win and Federal ammo over the years that was just as effective. I’ve yet to try the new Hornady stuff, and will use at the range when I can find.

I was desperate to shoot him and wrap that whole adventure up. I had a pretty big audience, young folks that thought I was an absolute BOSS for that shot. Easily impressed! Really it was just the climax of an adventure that started loading day, when it felt like a safari. I think they enjoyed that, we were all over the farm, crossing rivers and creeks on foot, in the corn.
So I’m all in on .32 WS, with two lever guns chambered in it now. I did not realize how much I enjoy these rifles, but I also got an 1873 Miroku-made rifle in 357. So I guess I’ve gone off the deep end, but I think I’m among friends here lol

I’m not usually so long winded, but thought I’d share some of my experiences with a 94 in 32 WS. Enjoy yours!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I bought a few hundred Speer .32 caliber 170 grain bullets about 1 and 1/2 years ago. I loaded them up with IMR 3031 and tried a few. Accuracy was good at 50 yards. The place I was shooting did not have room for a 100 yard shot. I like IMR 3031 for the .30-30 and the .32 WS. May not be the highest velocity, but the accuracy has always been good for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

piller wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:26 pm I bought a few hundred Speer .32 caliber 170 grain bullets about 1 and 1/2 years ago. I loaded them up with IMR 3031 and tried a few. Accuracy was good at 50 yards. The place I was shooting did not have room for a 100 yard shot. I like IMR 3031 for the .30-30 and the .32 WS. May not be the highest velocity, but the accuracy has always been good for me.
I too, have the best luck with IMR3031 in all my 32s. I use it behind the Hornady 170. I used it for many years in 30-30 also, but switched to W748 several years ago. Pressure becomes an issue much sooner than it does in the 32. At least if you believe the manuals. I am a little suspect, however. I think they have reduced the loads for 30-30 and not 32, simply because it is much more popular. The 32 has "flown under the radar", due to less guns chambered for it, and fewer types of guns in it.
cheoah
Levergunner

Post by cheoah »

Wasn't able to find IMR 3031 anywhere, but I did find the Hogdon Hornady LEVERevolution powder and some Lee dies. I think I'll get a very basic Lee press, I don't shoot enough of it for a progressive.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

LeverEvolution powder should work just fine. The .32 WS and the .30-30 are willing to work with many different components. Much more component friendly than most other rifle cartridges.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Have one very close in number to that one, does it have SRC buttplate or serrated model 55 steel ?
This is the transitional parts clean up period , mine has SRC buttplate and hooded ramp front . .This was the last year of furnace blued receivers and rust blued barrels/mag tubes.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Pat C wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:47 pm Have one very close in number to that one, does it have SRC buttplate or serrated model 55 steel ?
This is the transitional parts clean up period , mine has SRC buttplate and hooded ramp front . .This was the last year of furnace blued receivers and rust blued barrels/mag tubes.
It has the steel serrated horizontal lines through the butt stock.
It came without the sight hood, also missing the rear sight elevator.
There both easy enough to find online.
I'm assuming it's a 55 steel plate.
Very cool transitional model.
I did not know it was the last year of furnace bluing and rust bluing on barrel and mag.
Thanks for the info Pat C
Johnny
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Yes in 1938 they switched to Du-lite caustic bluing.
Can you take a picture of the sight , it should use the little 3C elevator (short one). But double check the rear sight dovetail location . Should be the intermediate location .
Receiver blueing is flaking on mine ,but everything else is nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Good morning Pat C.
Unfortunately my Nikon camera isn't working.
I'm sure the elevator it need's is the short one.{3C}
There is very little room between the sight and the receiver.
Just like the bottom Winchester in your photo.
It's about a half inch from receiver to the rear of the sight.
There is no flaking on the 94 at all. The bluing is faded in spot's.
Especially where your hand would be while carrying the carbine.
If you pm me your number I will send texts with photo's of the Winchester.
Now I know for sure I need the short elevator 3C.
What I really like is there nice wood grain in the hand guard.
None of the screw are buggered up!
Thanks' for all your help! Especially the photo's!
Johnny
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Congrats on the 32WS!

I also load for it with IMR 3031 and Hornady 170gr. I got within 40fps of factory winchester ammo with a slightly less than max load of 3031 and had good accuracy.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Thank you Flint,
Unfortunately I don't reload at this time.
I will be at the mercy of my local gun shop!
They buy lots of used firearms and ammo daily.
I'm sure some 32 special will turn up.
Usually I see it one or twice a month.
Most of it was brought in with a old Winchester.
It seems that when a old shooter dies the kids sell off there firearms!
Enjoy your day gentleman!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

PatC made good points regarding sight style and placement. Especially with carbines in the era of yours.
Winchester transition years are always a little wonky.

You are lucky in needing the short elevator. It will be much easier to find. I could get you one in 10 minutes if my buddies shop was still open. Sorry man. If his health returns, or i can get my hands on his Winchester parts, I will send you one.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

No big deal OldWin. There's a few short elevator sights on eBay for around $18.00 or $20.00 buck's.
I'll order one in a week or so. My gun shop had a really nice Winchester 53 on the shelf.
!927 or 1928 made model 53 in 25-20. They want $1,125.00.
Seem a bit pricey to me. A nice little carbine. All original condition. Bore was good with decent rifling.
After some research I found out they were only made for 8 years. 1924 to 1932.
Apparently a updated model 92. Kind of odd since the 92's were still in production.
Oh well I'm rambling on again! The cooldown is on the way tonight.
I hate the humidly we've had for the past 4 or so day's!
Evening gentleman.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

If that 53 is straight, original, and in good shape, that isn't bad really. Not a lot if em around. Especially in this neck of the woods.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I wish I could pick it up! Sweet little carbine with a short mag tube.
It would be a fun caliber for kicking around the woods with.
I think it's the first one I've ever seen.
Hey OldWin have you put any rounds thru that pretty new Colt SAA yet?
We need a report on that!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No I haven't. Much as I want to shoot it, it's too hot! I have to work this weekend, but hopefully next week.