Building a matchlock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Building a matchlock

Post by barbarossa »

My next project will be building a matchlock.I have built a couple but this one will be different as it will have a sliding pan on it similar to a Snaphaunce.Having a sliding pan will make it easier to hunt with and I plan on trying to take a deer with it when finished.This is the type of lock the gun will have
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by barbarossa on Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Building a matchlock

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This technology is fascinating. 8)
I assume you are aware of this Web site and its "Pre-flintlock" forum. The brain trust here is hard to match.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/foru ... intlock.9/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I am fascinated by the Matchlocks used during the English Civil War and the early colonization of North America, I have only ever handled Matchlocks from India and Japan neither of those types have any interest for me but European Matchlocks I find are more my cup of tea. I would love to see photos of the completed gun.. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

barbarossa wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:23 pm My next project will be building a matchlock.I have built a couple but this one will be different as it will have a sliding pan on it similar to a Snaphaunce.Having a sliding pan will make it easier to hunt with and I plan on trying to take a deer with it when finished.This is the type of lock the gun will have
That looks pretty neat -- good luck with it!

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 pm This technology is fascinating. 8)
I assume you are aware of this Web site and its "Pre-flintlock" forum. The brain trust here is hard to match.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/foru ... intlock.9/
My identical twin goes by "Flint62Smoothie" over there -- you'll see he posts quite often, because if it shoots blackpowder at all -- he has one. Well then, maybe we're "not so identical", as I'll shoot cap 'n ball and percussion rifles; but to him, even a flintlock is "modern".

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dale is a major contributor on that forum. I greatly appreciate him. 8)
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The matchlock will look like this when finished
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

barbarossa wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:30 pm The matchlock will look like this when finished
Very cool! The few times I've shot one it was FAST!

Next you'll need a wheellock!!!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

The above photo is what I imagine champlain used in the following disturbing scene.....

Samuel de Champlain 30 July 1609.

Having gone about eight leagues in the evening, the indians (algonquin, huron, and montagnais) took one of their captives of another tribe (iroquois) and kindled a fire, each taking brands and made this wretch suffer the greatest torment. They tore out his nails and applied coals to his membrum virile. When he regained conciousness they scalped him then dropped melted fat onto the crown of his head. Then they pierced his arms near the wrists and with sticks pulled out sinews by main force then finally severing the whole limbs. This poor wretch bore the torment admirably. They begged me to join them in the torture. Much to their disappointment, I ended his torment with my arquebus....
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, these glimpses into the darkness of early-contact North America always give me shivers.
Anyone wishing to know a whole lot more about the arquebus can do no better than to watch this fine video by Balász Neméth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCi1R3FNyLc
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

History shows us one thing in particular that humans are a brutal species and that there is not one race that can stand on the moral high ground and look down on others.The sad thing is we are not that much better and given our knowledge probably worse than our predecessors .
Last edited by barbarossa on Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galloway
Levergunner

Post by Galloway »

Yikes! Save that last shot..
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:43 am Ray, these glimpses into the darkness of early-contact North America always give me shivers.
Anyone wishing to know a whole lot more about the arquebus can do no better than to watch this fine video by Balász Neméth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCi1R3FNyLc
love the 16th C lighter . . . :) I keep thinking that a flintlock blunderbuss or pistol would be useful tech because it makes its own fire, which is endearing to say the least. perhaps a wheel lock, but where did I store that spare spring?

thanks sincerely for the link, I am finding I have more in common with that period of history than the one I am in . . .

grizz
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Wheellocks are fascinating and very intricate to build .They are like a well built timepiece and are a joy to shoot.One thing about matchlocks is unlike flintlocks and percussion guns you can easily make your own matchcord.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have decided I m going to make this gun with a rifled barrel instead of a smooth bore and the barrel will be in 62 cal and will have a 30 inch length
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I believe you are making excellent choices, Barbarossa. 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:19 pm I would love to see photos of the completed gun.. 8)
DITTO! :D