Old Movies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Old Movies

Post by jeepnik »

I like older movies. One thing I like to do is spot bloopers. So, I just finished watching Clambake with Elvis. It supposedly takes place in Florida. The final scene is Elvis and Shelly Fabre sitting in his car as he explains that he's rich. And in the upper right corner of the screen is a street sign. The sign reads "Pacific Coast Hwy". They only missed it by about 3000 miles.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old Movies

Post by Ray »

I like the early talkies and later "B" films as they are much shorter (1 hr.) in run time than the premier studios feature films. There are thousands of such examples in the public domain and readily available for viewing without advertisement interruptions.

Just the other day charlie chan was descending into the paris sewers and he handed his sidekick a self-loading pistol. When the fellow crime fighter demurred on unselfish principle, chan replied, "I always carry spare in case of blowup."
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I had always loved movies like Casablanca but had only seen them on TV.

My wife found Casablanca playing at a local theater and we we went to see it. It was a very different experience.

That tear in her eye when she said goodbye at the airport was so much more powerful.

I mostly love old movies because they told stories. Today, everything is so woke and laced with homosexuality that it just turns me off.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I prefer the old movies too, I can even forgive the wrong firearms being used as the only alternative would be genuine antiques, nowadays replicas of all kinds exist so no excuses anymore.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 am I mostly love old movies because they told stories. Today, everything is so woke and laced with homosexuality that it just turns me off.
Agree 1000%
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 pm I prefer the old movies too, I can even forgive the wrong firearms being used as the only alternative would be genuine antiques, nowadays replicas of all kinds exist so no excuses anymore.
And yet, Hollywood seems to be obsessed with using brass-framed "Colt" percussion revolvers. :roll:
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I prefer older films myself. Matter of fact The Thin Man is on TCM right now. Good explosion (and agenda) free entertainment, the old time writers were pretty clever.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

They don’t have to be too old to be good.

Watching Quigley Down Under right now
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

and every time they shot that film, lgs seem to be unable to keep copies of the Sharps on hand, either the ones built in Montana, or the Italian copies
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

But I am old enough to remember what happened to S&W model 29s after DIRTY HARRY
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:38 pm I like older movies. One thing I like to do is spot bloopers. So, I just finished watching Clambake with Elvis. It supposedly takes place in Florida. The final scene is Elvis and Shelly Fabre sitting in his car as he explains that he's rich. And in the upper right corner of the screen is a street sign. The sign reads "Pacific Coast Hwy". They only missed it by about 3000 miles.
Every few years I like to watch the three movies Elvis filmed in Hawaiʻi: “Blue Hawaiʻi” (1961), “Girls! Girls! Girls!” (1962) and “Paradise, Hawaiian Style” (1966), to flashback to the Hawaiʻi of my childhood. What a dump this place has turned into. I also watch the 1931 "Charlie Chan" flick "The Black Camel". The first 5 minutes was filmed at Kailua Beach in my hometown. The scene with a river mouth at the beach, that river was in my backyard a mile upstream at my old homestead of over 50 years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drefI1Aolo8
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:48 pm They don’t have to be too old to be good.

Watching Quigley Down Under right now
It is worth watching. One tell, Tom Selleck makes Laura San Giacomo into a real actress, and he elevates the performance of everybody else. I like the dialog a lot. Same with Open Range. Love the dialog, and Robert Duvall elevates everyone else's performance, including Costner . . . :)
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Last night, I watched "Seminole" with Rock Hudson from 1954.

The movie was supposedly set in 1835 in Florida. US Army in action against Osceola (Anthony Quinn) and the Seminole tribe.

I spotted what looked like Colt Patterson revolvers and several Colt 1851 Navy or 1861 Army revolvers.

And at least one 1873 Army revolver.

Pretty good old movie with a young Lee Marvin with a full head of black hair.....

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/H8B8WH/semino ... H8B8WH.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5 ... @._V1_.jpg
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

oldebear1950 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 pm But I am old enough to remember what happened to S&W model 29s after DIRTY HARRY
I have one of those.
My uncle bought one after the movie came out. Shot it 12 times and put it back in the mahogany case. He gave it to me about 25 years ago and even though it has the longer 8 3/8" barrel, and not the 6" like in the movie, I still love to shoot it. He searched high and low for the 6" version, but couldn't find one.
Just watched that movie a few days ago. Still a favorite.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

"Come back, Shane"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

One thing old movies had that none of today’s have is a moral. Sort of like modern Isope’s(sp) fables.

Even a bubble gum movie like Clambake taught that even if you’re born with a silver spoon in your mouth working hard to obtain a goal is the way to do things.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 am I had always loved movies like Casablanca but had only seen them on TV.

My wife found Casablanca playing at a local theater and we we went to see it. It was a very different experience.

That tear in her eye when she said goodbye at the airport was so much more powerful.

I mostly love old movies because they told stories. Today, everything is so woke and laced with homosexuality that it just turns me off.

This is available on MAX (HBO's streaming site) - i watched it a few days back --- would love to see it on the big screen
----- Doug
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The African Queen and the leech scene still gives me nightmares.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:07 pm The African Queen and the leech scene still gives me nightmares.
Yes apparently the director insisted on real leeches.… :shock:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Watched "The Professionals" again the other day. Some real actors in that one, Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Woodie Strode, Jack Palance and my all time favorite, Claudia Cardinale. :D

I never pass up a Mel Brooks movie either! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I like westerns; Lonesome Dove, El Dorado, Conagher, Dances With Wolves, The Shootist, The Cowboys, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, Silverado, Crossfire Trail.

Conagher is my favorite. A story about a boy and his Winchester.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Parts of Conagher was filmed on a friend's ranch in Colorado.

The Quiet Man is hands down a favorite of mine. El Dorado as well as Rio Bravo.

YES to Mel Brooks!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I like most of All the stuff The same as Youse Guys..... :lol: . Last night when Momma went to bed I watched the first Monty Walsh on You tube. Lee Marvin and Jack Palance were terrific. Tom Horn is a Good one as well and We get to see a lot of a 1876 45-60. Lonesome Dove, Dances with Wolves, Open Range , The Cowboys ,Red River , The Shootist, True Grit, Crossfire Trail ,Quigley , most of the westerns that Randolph Scott is in are worth watching. One I saw not long ago surprised Me is "Blood on the Moon" with Robert Mitchum. For hackin and chopin "Last of the Mohicans" and "The Patriot" get the Nod. :twisted: . The old movies Get better the Older I get .
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Watching Violent Saturday, 1955 Victor Mature, Lee Marvin, Richard Egan and Ernest Borgnine.
Filmed in Bisbee AZ.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Most all my old favorites been mentioned. Just can't top Lonesome Dove IMO! I watched Tom Horn again other day. John Wayne favorite? El Dorado! Loved True Grit as equal, until the new one? Hey, Jeff Bridges made JW look bad, and all other actors also, great movie! Love Crossfire Trail especially, but all Tom Selleck westerns! And gotta mention Robert Duvall, Open Range & Broken Trail! 2nd only to Lonesome Dove, is Jeremiah Johnson!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When writing, acting, and directing are the focus of the movie, it is usually good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Lots of my favorites mentioned...I will through in Once Upon a Time in the West. The opening scene is one of the best ever....