Couldn't help it...........New Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Couldn't help it...........New Levergun

Post by Bob Hatfield »

In my old age I have about 3 times as much self-restraint as I did when I was younger. But for some reason I found myself without a 35 Remington rifle. So I look around at the pawn shops, gun shops, Gunbroker etc. and came to the conclusion that a "JM" Marlin was going to cost at least 1k. But then I happened into a chain gunstore (Bridgeport equipment) and low and behold there was a Henry in 35 Remington. Shot it a few times the other day with the Hornady 200gr. ammo with pointy bullets. Never had a solid rest to test it so with the sun in my eyes wreaking havoc on my aiming but managed to hit the six-inch bullseye target at 50 yards offhand three times.

The action is rough where I guess it is new. It seems like the action parts are having to hone themselves as you operate it. Ejection is on the lazy side, but if you operate it deliberately it'll eject. I have some "Jax" black to tone down the brass.

I'll try my favorite handload using Hornady 200 gr. RN and IMR 3031 from a rest soon and get the sights regulated out to 100 yards. Where I hunt, when I hunt deer are usually shot at 50 yards or less. I got a feeling I'll have to get a Skinner rear peep and a white stripe front slanted post for my eyes as I detest a scope on a levergun.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Couldn't help it...........New Levergun

Post by Grizz »

Handsome rifle and shoots straight, it's a good one.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Nice, congratulations. It'll be interesting to see it with the receiver "toned down" as you put it.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Nice !
----- Doug
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

I have that rifle in 30-30 and 38-55. Those actions will slick up just from normal use. The 30-30 version I have is the most accurate lever action I have ever owned. They are heavy though. Not a great carry all day gun. If you are a sit and ambush hunter ok.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

as you get older, it's harder to cure leveritus!!
Nice!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very nice!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Very nice indeed and in 35 Remington, Especially! I alllllllmost done it Friday. Went in my local pawn. They had a JM Marlin 1894, made in 1974 in 44Mag. It was in decent shape. Could've gotten it for $800 out door! But I just can't grasp that kinda money for a 44Mag, for my use anyways, some would and I'd see it if you like that cartridge! A similar Marlin, in 35 Rem, I'd snatched it in heartbeat
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Congratulations on a fine looking and shooting 35, Bob.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Nice find, Bob! We will be looking for the range report.

JBowen
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be getting to the range in the morning early if it isn't raining to officially put it to the test. I have three handloads of six rounds each all using the Hornady 200 grain round nose bullet. One using 37 grains of IMR 3031. That is a half grain less than I used back in the day. The second using 39 grains of Varget and the third using 43 grains of Leverevolution powder. I plan on shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards to get an indication of how consistent it might be. I normally like 5 shot groups, but these bullets are no longer cheap. I am not keen on hot-rodding this rifle. Muzzle velocity of around 2000 fps is fine with me as it has been working for over a hundred years.

FWIW the factory Hornady 200 grain Leverevolution pointed rounds averaged 2075 fps for 5 rounds. The velocity on the box said 2225 fps, probably from a 24-inch barrel. I thought I had a 20-inch barrel, but this Henry has a 19-1/8-inch barrel. So, I'm losing about 30 fps per inch x 5 inches less barrel. That sounds about right.

Bob