Little-Known Reloading Phenomena

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Little-Known Reloading Phenomena

Post by JimT »

I discovered this during an extended session of prepping brass and reloading. I had approximately 2500 fired 9mm cartridges and had spent weeks sorting them by headstamp and then resizing, depriming them, neck expanding and then priming. Then I loaded them all. It was a massive undertaking using my old RCBS Rockchucker. I handled each piece of brass at least 7 times during the entire reloading process (and it was 8 or 9 times with some) which adds up to handling at least 17,500 pieces of brass.

Finishing I felt like I had run a marathon! As I cleaned up and reorganized the loading bench I ran across a massive rifle cartridge that I did not recognize. I wracked my brain but could not remember having such a HUGE cartridge in my collection! Wondering what it was and where it came from I picked it up and looked at the headstamp. It read: "WW Winchester .30-30"!!!!
That put my head into a spin for a bit. Then I picked up another huge cartridge that turned out to be a .45 Colt!

I finally figured out that weeks of handling the little bitty 9mm cartridges had gotten my brain into a rut thinking that the small round was "normal" and thus any of the cartridges that I used "normally" looked abnormal.

I told Mic McPherson about it and he shared a story about a similar experience that he had. I am sure it's common but since I don't mess with the little cartridges all that much it had a real impact on me.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Little-Known Reloading Phenomena

Post by Bill in Oregon »

:lol:
Jim, anyone who has the patience to load 9mm deserves a pat on the back. I just can't bring myself to do it, as for some reason I go through 9mmm faster than any other cartridge -- even .22s.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Try loading that many 25acp! ANYTHING after that would look huge! :P
BTW, I wish SOMEBODY would come out with ANYTHING reloading wise made for 25 auto again! :(
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

1894cfan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:16 pm Try loading that many 25acp! ANYTHING after that would look huge! :P
BTW, I wish SOMEBODY would come out with ANYTHING reloading wise made for 25 auto again! :(
You can still easily get tweezers and magnifying glasses! :lol:
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

JimT wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:18 pm
1894cfan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:16 pm Try loading that many 25acp! ANYTHING after that would look huge! :P
Too true! I'd like to get a box or two of either 50gr fmj's or Speer 35gr gold dots just to have around in case I got the notion to reload a round or two. :roll:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Jim Better man than me! i just buy them, getting so i dont like loading for the 32 H&R

Brad
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JimT wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:49 am I handled each piece of brass at least 7 times during the entire reloading process (and it was 8 or 9 times with some) which adds up to handling at least 17,500 pieces of brass.

Finishing I felt like I had run a marathon!
:shock: :!: :shock: :!: :shock:

Jim, I think it's time you learned about a Well-known Reloading Phenomena...

DILLON RL550

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Good one Jim. It works the other way too. Load 45/70 for a while and 357 seems small and 25-20 is too little for any possible application.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Every once in a while I stumble on a 35 Remington and wonder "what's this newfangled round...?" :lol:

But I hang on to the brass to reload, as I see factory ammo for that cartridge is $2.00 or more each.

(but then 338 Lapua Mag is around $8.00 a round 'on sale'... :shock: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the chuckles... I'm so glad I don't own a 9mm... My 45ACP & C45S seem small to me... And handling those .224 bullets for .223 challenges my manual dexterity! Probably why my gallon & a half bucket of prepped empty brass and 2,000 plus projectiles remain segregated!
Old No7 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:58 pm Jim, I think it's time you learned about a Well-known Reloading Phenomena...
DILLON RL550
Old No7
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:58 pm
JimT wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:49 am I handled each piece of brass at least 7 times during the entire reloading process (and it was 8 or 9 times with some) which adds up to handling at least 17,500 pieces of brass.

Finishing I felt like I had run a marathon!
:shock: :!: :shock: :!: :shock:

Jim, I think it's time you learned about a Well-known Reloading Phenomena...

DILLON RL550

Old No7
Concur with this.

I got dads Dillon 550 after he slowed down shooting, he had a shooting buddy using it to load him ammo. The progressive has possible negative outcomes, but its mostly operator error, or perhaps better stated operator negligence. I visually check every powder charge and pay strict attention to every step and be absolutely sure every primer is seated correctly if it feels off when seated. I can load around 300 or so rds per hours with so far zero mistakes. Thats far less press handle cycling, as each stroke does 4 things, so easier on my damaged body. Once the rhythm is developed its not hard to make very good ammo much faster and with the same degree of safety.

Another thing that helps pick the pace up is baskets for brass handling for every step other than using a loading block and bullet seating charged cases. Shallow baskets make it easy to pick up brass, I do multiples when using the single stage, and a shake sideways makes them settle base down so they are easier to put in the shell holder. Thrift stores usually have them pretty cheap.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

1894cfan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:34 pm
JimT wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:18 pm
Too true! I'd like to get a box or two of either 50gr fmj's or Speer 35gr gold dots just to have around in case I got the notion to reload a round or two. :roll:
I might be tempted to try one of these. https://www.pyramydair.com/ammo/slugs?c ... =0_25&pg=2
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Drop back to 25-20 and work back up.

Or, just get a Dillon.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jim all that 9mm is just to get you primed for loading mass quantities of .22 LR! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I appreciate the advise and concern for my well-being. In my younger days I did have progressive loaders and used them. As I have gotten older I have regressed back toward my beginnings. I enjoy reloading with the Lyman 310 Tool and even the old Lee Loader, though I don't use them all that much. And I enjoy the one-at-a-time on the Rockchucker. Me and that old Rockchucker have been close companions for more than 40 years. And I don't mind all the "work" using it. Like Mr.Twain said, "Work is what a body is obliged to do." I am not obliged to reload .. I enjoy it. Therefore it ain't work ... for me at least. :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:24 pm Jim all that 9mm is just to get you primed for loading mass quantities of .22 LR! :lol:
You may be correct. I have some 50 gr. Spitzer FMJ bullets I am thinking of trying, if I can figure out a way to swage a heel on them. :lol:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:50 am :lol:
Jim, anyone who has the patience to load 9mm deserves a pat on the back. I just can't bring myself to do it, as for some reason I go through 9mmm faster than any other cartridge -- even .22s.
I agree. When I bought my Dillon from a friend, it had a complete tool head and conversion all set up for 9mm. I've never loaded 1 round of it.
Matter of fact, I left a pile of 9mm brass on the snow today. Just can't make myself load it. But, I find it more enjoyable to shoot cause I'm not worried about picking up my brass. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

[/quote]

I might be tempted to try one of these. https://www.pyramydair.com/ammo/slugs?c ... =0_25&pg=2
[/quote]

Thanks for that, looks promising! Just might go for those myself. :mrgreen:
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

This is too funny, I had a similar experience. I've only started reloading 9mm in the last couple years, but I had spent a number of hours depriming a pile of brass and when I had finished I spotted a quart container of absolutely gigantic bucket-like cases on the bench. They turned out to be 45ACP...

On a similar note regarding perception, I had been out shooting an SMLE and a K98. I threw all the brass in a bucket afterwards and didn't get around to sorting it for a few weeks. Forgetting that there'd been a Mauser out that day, I was momentarily confused by the fact that about half the .303 brass was rimless. "Rimless" .303? WTH?

And they still let me drive. :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve been loading a year’s supply of .38 Special.

After that , I’m planning on loading some .357 and going back to loading .44 Special.

But it isn’t a marathon chore for me as I have a Dillon.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've had the opposite experience. After loading .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, .44 Special and .44 Russian for months on end, the 9mm feels dinky! :lol:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JimT wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:27 pm As I have gotten older I have regressed back toward my beginnings. I enjoy reloading with the Lyman 310 Tool and even the old Lee Loader, though I don't use them all that much. And I enjoy the one-at-a-time on the Rockchucker.
Next thing you know, 'ol Jim will be collecting rocks, and chucking them -- and he will become the rockchucker! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have been known to chuck rocks at times. :D
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thats funny! I had similar to lesser degree sorting out and selling off 38/357 before I upgraded to 44 mag. opened box of loaded 44 mag and thought why I have a gotten this cannon for.