S&W Lever gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

S&W Lever gun

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Saw this in my email today: https://www.smith-wesson.com/1854?trk_m ... ith-Wesson

Stainless Steel with polymer stock or Blues steel with high gloss fancy wood
The Lord Bless You

Terry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: S&W Lever gun

Post by gamekeeper »

I am always happy to see a new Levergun on the market.... :D

Love the fancy wood... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Ummm.....that looks an awful lot (by that I mean identical) to a Henry Big Boy All Weather just with the Xmodel threaded barrel
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks decent...

I like the subtle M-lok thingies. That makes a lot of sense on a levergun versus Picatinny Rails (though I don't actually mind the latter).

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks like another copy of the Marlin designed guns. Can't anyone come up with their own designs anymore?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:19 am Looks like another copy of the Marlin designed guns. Can't anyone come up with their own designs anymore?
Nope. It's too expensive. Cheaper just to copy a proven design. And if you go into the history of leverguns there are a lot of different designs that were tried. Marlin and Winchester dominated partially because they were big enough to beat the others out of the market but also because their designs worked so well and held up to adverse conditions better.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

interesting but wont be trading the rossi just yet. Would be nice to see a 24" rifle hit market for a change too. 19" seems to be the new fashion.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Looks like anouther Zombie apocalypse gun. I'll pass . They want hurt sales of the new Ruger Marlins .Wood and steel !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

$3,500!

No way is it worth anywhere near that.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Where did they come up with "1854"?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Huh. I like it. 1:20 rifling means it might accomodate my 405 gr hc pistol load! I would shed the big grip, and put the wood furniture on the stainless rifle, after the ceracote bakes. I'm waiting for the trapper version to get here. The Ruger 1894 has 1:20 rifling. But OTOH there isn't anything that 45/70 can't do, and I already have a stainless one with wood furniture and the correct twist rate, so I'll hold this hand...

BTW
4_S&W lever gun .png
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

I agree with wvfarrier, it looks a LOT like a Henry. With that said however, I rather like it. For my purposes it checks a lot of boxes, other than caliber. I already have a BL-92 in 44. I would love an all weather levergun in 357 with loading gate loading option, threaded barrel with a peep and a rail for a red dot. If it sells perhaps they'll offer it in 357. If so I see this as another option. Options are good.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

COSteve wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:08 pm $3,500!

Agreed , but i think the $3500 model is just a "super duper special edition" -- from what i could see , the base model is $1275

still a chunk of change, but what isnt nowadays. OT , but you being a 10mm fan Steve, i was considering upgrading my model 20 Gen 3 SF to the newer Gen 5 , but the price at my local store was $690 :o - the darn model 40 long slide is not that much of a stretch away from $690 ! (but i do dislike the finger grooves )
----- Doug
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

COSteve wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:08 pm $3,500!

this link says $1279

interesting feature having a detachable tubular magazine......i could go for that for sure !

think i may need this
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:17 pm Where did they come up with "1854"?
the 1854 relates to when smith and wesson bought out the volcanic lever action arms company, i think
cable
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Looking at the photos, it doesn't appear to be a rebadged HRA, but that's not to say they don't outsource the rifle.

If they are calling it the 1854, it should be a toggle link action! That it is instead yet another implementation of Hepburn's design just reflects that Hepburn's was the best overall design of its type. The patent office has dozens of others that no one bothers with, then or now.

It really surprises me S&W is trying to come to market the same time as Ruger.

I wonder how that removable mag tube works.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I think the mag is not detachable except for the follower like Henrys. The fancy one is $3500, not the tactical looking one. It is a Marlin 1894 clone like the Ruger and the Henry. It’s a me too gun but looks like a well done one. Competition is good, especially in leverguns.

Now the new Ruger LC in 45 ACP is far more interesting to me right now, but I have a Marlin 44 that was about a fourth the price.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

hfcable wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:32 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:17 pm Where did they come up with "1854"?
the 1854 relates to when smith and wesson bought out the volcanic lever action arms company, i think
My question too, Bill. Thanks Harold!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:47 pm
here's some more info from American Rifleman

https://www.americanrifleman.org/conten ... et-pistol/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:39 pm

it appears that Wesson brought the volcanic to Smith and Wesson before there was a Smith
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Looks neat, be good in wood. Now can they (S&W) make it in their cartridges? (.460 and .500 S&W) :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

EG73 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:16 am Looks neat, be good in wood. Now can they (S&W) make it in their cartridges? (.460 and .500 S&W) :D
Yes, let's see their big cartridges chambered.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

While it's great to see a new levergun introduced, I don't see it going anywhere without being something really different. Especially for that money. There are a LOT of leverguns out there already. Many of us here on this forum are using examples way over a hundred years old.
I'm no business man, but if you're gonna bring out something new, make it NEW.
Maybe something that is straight line feed from a DBM, with a LW receiver, short throw lever, and rotary bolt that locks into the barrel. If you're gonna put M-lok on it, why pretend? Go all the way.
Would it be cheap? Nope. Gotta pay for all the design cost, but at least you'd be offering something different.
Until then, I'll keep my old stuff. And honestly, I probably wouldn't buy what I described either. :D
Now, if the overlords pulled off an AWB, it would probably be worth it to market something like that.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:52 am While it's great to see a new levergun introduced, I don't see it going anywhere without being something really different. Especially for that money. There are a LOT of leverguns out there already. Many of us here on this forum are using examples way over a hundred years old.
I see your point but it being winter I’ve been in and out of the darn gun shops way too much the last month or so and one local shop has a very nice selection of Henry’s and another one also says they have a hard time keeping them in stock as interestingly enough younger shooters are rediscovering lever guns and revolvers

And the old Marlins and Glenfields that used to get Dusty on pawn shop shelves with $200 price tags are now commanding 700 bucks or more.

It’s a cool time to be into leverguns . But irritating for those of us still looking for deals

I predict they will sell plenty. Popular calibers from a familiar name even newbies know. I heard Tom Gresham from gun talk podcast speaking of with Henry got started back in the 90s they were advertising (Imperato’s Henry that is) in general men’s interest magazines like Outside, GQ, and Men’s Health to spread the word even farther than just Sports Afield

I could be wrong because Mossberg‘s 464 only lasted a few years and that was a nice rifle - but you’ll notice all the buzz nowadays is about pistol calibers or 4570s with very little in between. The poor ‘ol 30/30 It’s probably a more versatile cartridge than any of them but it almost seems forgotten about in the new market Although Henry and Rossi both have one that I have seen
----- Doug
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well of course the 1854 makes sense now. I just never think of Volcanic pistols when discussing lever-action rifles ...
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Wow ... that walnut version is pricey. Looks good though ... maybe they are using high grade wood. I have to think that one's just done for the photo on the website.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Streetstar wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:25 am
OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:52 am While it's great to see a new levergun introduced, I don't see it going anywhere without being something really different. Especially for that money. There are a LOT of leverguns out there already. Many of us here on this forum are using examples way over a hundred years old.
I see your point but it being winter I’ve been in and out of the darn gun shops way too much the last month or so and one local shop has a very nice selection of Henry’s and another one also says they have a hard time keeping them in stock as interestingly enough younger shooters are rediscovering lever guns and revolvers

And the old Marlins and Glenfields that used to get Dusty on pawn shop shelves with $200 price tags are now commanding 700 bucks or more.

It’s a cool time to be into leverguns . But irritating for those of us still looking for deals

I predict they will sell plenty. Popular calibers from a familiar name even newbies know. I heard Tom Gresham from gun talk podcast speaking of with Henry got started back in the 90s they were advertising (Imperato’s Henry that is) in general men’s interest magazines like Outside, GQ, and Men’s Health to spread the word even farther than just Sports Afield

I could be wrong because Mossberg‘s 464 only lasted a few years and that was a nice rifle - but you’ll notice all the buzz nowadays is about pistol calibers or 4570s with very little in between. The poor ‘ol 30/30 It’s probably a more versatile cartridge than any of them but it almost seems forgotten about in the new market Although Henry and Rossi both have one that I have seen

I hope it does sell well. Nothing I want more than to see American firearms manufacturers do well. And, like I said, I'm no business man.
I think the reason they don't sell a lot of 30-30s is like i mentioned above, there are so many out there already.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:14 am Wow ... that walnut version is pricey. Looks good though ... maybe they are using high grade wood. I have to think that one's just done for the photo on the website.
I've heard rumors that the supply of gun stock quality wood has diminished drastically. That makes straight grain unfigured plain Jane blanks more expensive to start . The guns they put out for advertising/ reviews have nicer stuff than production guns to get the readers hooked. Sure some production guns come with nice wood, the little CZ 410 I bought has very nice wood and it's from Turkey. The Turks have some nice walnut!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey! 45/70 IS a pistol caliber . . .
4_BFR 45-70.png
We shot my 525 Gr PileDrivers out of Blaine's scoped BFR. It's a Hoot to Shoot :)

P.S. Here's a snubbie version for anyone who can't hold a 10 inch barrel steady LOL
https://www.americanrifleman.org/conten ... -70-gov-t/
Right on over to the other hand, if the snubbie still feels TOO BIG, then,
4_bond-arms-cyclops-01.jpg
this one should scratch That itch. I think.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I wish S&W success with the new lever gun!
Personally, I'll stick with old Marlins and Winchesters!
Johnny
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Grizz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:39 pm

Thanks Grizz!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I Like it....Great sights, big lever loop, sling swivel mounts, torx screw heads . You can easily mount all kind of fancy lights on it. for an all weather gun it's a winner. when the dust settles I bet it's $999.00. wish it was made in .357 mag too.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

All I see is another big loop lever gun with a cross bolt safety and an ugly front sight. It looks like a knock-off Marlin. I would hope that it's a slick and high quality gun but if I wanted another lever action I'd just pick a used 336 off the rack at the LGS.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

What is with all the big loop levers these days? Did human hands increase in size over the last 100-150 years (along with bellies)? I don’t like a lot of air between my knuckles and the lever myself
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

44shooter wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:54 pm What is with all the big loop levers these days? Did human hands increase in size over the last 100-150 years (along with bellies)? I don’t like a lot of air between my knuckles and the lever myself

I’d say it’s because deer season is the colder months - allows for gloves. Personally don’t like the look, but the functionality to have it as the base offering makes sense.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Looks like another Henry. I am all for the introduction of new lever guns. It will surely bring a new audience to lever guns and help keep the levergun going strong. I have def. seen way worse lever guns of late.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, it is eye-watering just imagining the recoil of the BFR snubby and the Garret 540-grain Hammerhead ... :shock:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:27 am Grizz, it is eye-watering just imagining the recoil of the BFR snubby and the Garret 540-grain Hammerhead ... :shock:
That's True. O Man that's something I'm not going to try. And the derringer ! I don't have the structural strength to try it.

Scott at Kentucky Ballistics is the only one I can think of who is up to that . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5xlcxfiqo . . . the 1000 Gr round ball is what Jim was shooting out of his 12 Ga ! :!:
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:19 am Looks like another copy of the Marlin designed guns. Can't anyone come up with their own designs anymore?

Well, Henry tried a new lever gun, the Long Ranger but I don't know how successful it was. My shooting partner didn't like his in .243 and sold it due to disappointing accuracy. It was certainly an innovative design with its rack and pinion action which allowed use of a box magazine, therefor negating the need for round or flat nosed bullets, somewhat similar in concept to the BLR.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Walt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:53 am Well, Henry tried a new lever gun, the Long Ranger but I don't know how successful it was. My shooting partner didn't like his in .243 and sold it due to disappointing accuracy. It was certainly an innovative design with its rack and pinion action which allowed use of a box magazine, therefor negating the need for round or flat nosed bullets, somewhat similar in concept to the BLR.
When the Henry long ranger came out, I was intrigued. I mean, who DOESN'T want a .223 levergun! :?:
But once I got my hands on one, I lost interest. They just feel "cheap".
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Shooting times, full page ad for the new s&w Smooth levergun. Shows the stainless and the blued with wood( quite pretty wood) the rifles look nice until you look at the levers.
The lever appears like it was just stamped out and installed without any kind of finish work, and the 'blue' of the lever doesn't match being a dull finish unlike the high polish of the rest of the gun.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Yes after looking at the price I will stick with the Marlins and Rossis. Glad my local gunsmith was good at mods.
It is not the critic who counts
hornetguy
Levergunner

Post by hornetguy »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:14 am Wow ... that walnut version is pricey. Looks good though ... maybe they are using high grade wood. I have to think that one's just done for the photo on the website.
The wood versions are supposed to be a limited run, and all of them are supposed to have "select" grade wood on them.

The MSRP is right in line with the Ruger made Marlins.... the 1894 in .44 mag MSRP is listed at $1279.

As far as a "new design", Henry has come out with that.... a lever gun that looks similar to the slab sided BLR's, but it uses AR detachable magazines. I think it's called the "ultimat" or something like that. Very interesting.

The S&W is also very interesting to me, and I've heard that the manual that comes with the gun mentions that it will also be available in .357 and .45 Colt.

Nice looking gun... real world pricing is, I think, in the $800 range....
"at that point, I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability" Ron White
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I handled one today. I liked the stock fit and the sights, although I’m not sure how rugged the front sight is. I might wait and see if 357 becomes an option.
ikocher
Levergunner

Post by ikocher »

I wouldn't mind having one as a working gun in stainless. I won't be replaced by .357 Mag Marlin but if I felt like I honestly needed a .44 Mag, I would seriously consider one.
Psalm 104:14 - He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, And vegetation for the service of man, That he may bring forth food from the earth (NKJV)