Evolution of a Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Evolution of a Levergun

Post by JimT »

Erma Werke in Germany was a large firearms manufacturer in WWII. After the war they designed and produced sporting arms including the EG71 "Wagonmaster" lever action .22 rimfire rifle.
1.erma.jpg
From 1973 to 1978 Ithaca Gun Company began importing the Erma .22 lever action into the USA and called it the Model 72. Erma also imported the same rifle into the USA through the 1990's but called it the Model EG-712.
2.ithaca.jpg
In 1998 Erma went bankrupt. The Erma (their own as well as those made for Ithaca) were a smooth-action, good shooting rifle. Erma's economic problems were partially due to their marketing.

The Henry H001 and the Rossi Rio Bravo are the same basic rifle as the Erma. I believe Henry has made some internal improvements. I am not sure about the Rossi.
Rossi
3.rossi.jpg
Rossi Rio Bravo
4.rossi-rio-bravo-lever-action-22-lr-rifle-f.jpg
Henry H001
5.henry.JPG
Exploded View - Ithaca
View - Ithaca_72LeverAction_schem.jpg
Exploded View - Henry
View -HenryRepeatingArms_SeriesH001_schem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Evolution of a Levergun

Post by Ray »

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/08/04/i ... -treasure/

I remember a lot of kids in the '70s had the Ithaca model 49 saddle carbine. It looked externally like a conventional levergun but it was actually a diving-block single-shot similar to a martini. Otasco stores carried them and would sell them "layaway" for Christmas with $5 down and $2 weekly installments for a total of thirty something.

Sears & Roebuck version.....

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =100572696

George Wallace.....kid you not ! That was/is his name..... had an ithaca lever-actuated .410 single that everybody coveted. It differed from the model 66s that are pictured online today. George's had an internal , not exposed hammer that must have been cocked when using the lever to break it open.
m.A.g.a. !
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thanks Jim,
I appreciated this when you posted it. I had some time yesterday and went to a lgs to fondle some steel. Got to function several 22s. One was an Ithaca. The Henry seems smoother. Bought it. I do like aesthetically that Henry now uses a dovetailed mag hanger instead of the barrel band.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Decades ago I had an Erma copy of a Luger in .22 lr. It was quite unreliable and I didn't keep it long.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thank you! The Henry's are pretty slick. I bought one for my grand-daughter. It will feed the Colibri "silent" loads .. the ones with the little 29 gr. pellet for a bullet. Feeds as slick as the full-size Long Rifles.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My first leveraction was a Erma .22lr it was reliable and a accurate little rifle and served me well when I was gamekeeping. I would have no hesitation in buying a Henry H001.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We have the Henry H001 Youth model here for the Grandkids to shoot. I can find no fault in it. It won't be long and I will have one in .22 mag.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

My little Sis has a Henry for a barnyard gun, it's the only one I have ever used but seems pretty decent. I've never been able to talk myself into one since the Winchester 9422 ruined me for anything else as a kid.

Funny, like Tycer I stopped at a local shop yesterday and they had an Ithaca 49 on the rack. I was going to ask to see it, but then I spied an OM Single Six convertible in nice shape on the bottom of the case. Guess what came home with me. :D
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I had an Ithaca 49 when I was young and killed many of rabbits with it.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

samsi wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:47 am then I spied an OM Single Six convertible in nice shape on the bottom of the case. Guess what came home with me. :D
GOOD CATCH!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The Henrys look and feel great when cycling the action. I wish they used steel for the receivers, though. Wonder if the Rossis are steel or alloy.
I remember seeing ads for the Ithaca 49s in Boy's Life. Wanted one.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was walking around a gun show back with Y2K when he was around 4 or 5 years old. He had already watched "True Grit" with me a bunch of times. We came across a table with Henry rifles, and he spied one with the big loop. "Look Daddy - Rooster's rifle!"

You know the rest. It came home with us. Really nice little shooter, too. :D

So, my .22 leveraction growing up was a Marlin Model 39, so please excuse my ignorance. Weren't the Erma, Rossi, and Henry's all derived from the Browning .22 leveractions?
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:29 pm So, my .22 leveraction growing up was a Marlin Model 39, so please excuse my ignorance. Weren't the Erma, Rossi, and Henry's all derived from the Browning .22 leveractions?
I don’t think so. They look outwardly similar, but the BL-22 is a tiny action with a really short stroke, as in open and close your hand short. The Henry is nice, but IMO both the Marlin and Browning (and probably the Winchester 9422) are quite a bit better quality and far as fit and finish.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Top is my dad's first rifle - Ithaca 49
bottom is my sons first rifle - Henry youth

both are very handy little rifles

I actually won a 4H shoot one time with that Ithaca 49.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The story I have heard is that the lever action .22 Erma and designed by Louis Imperato, father of Anthony (of Henry Arms) Louis Imperato, after Erma went bust he bought the rights and that's how Henry repeating arms came to be.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:44 am The story I have heard is that the lever action .22 Erma and designed by Louis Imperato, father of Anthony (of Henry Arms) Louis Imperato, after Erma went bust he bought the rights and that's how Henry repeating arms came to be.
I had heard that also ... I don't remember where I heard it though ... but it was quite long time ago.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's my understanding that Louis Imperato was president of Iver Johnson in the seventies & imported the Erma designed & built 22 levergun. As well as importing some other European produced firearms. He was also the owner of the Black Powder Firearms Company that did the finish work on the Colt "F" Series under contract to Colt and the later 3rd gen or "Signature Series" black powder pistols under Colt license.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Griff wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm It's my understanding that Louis Imperato was president of Iver Johnson in the seventies & imported the Erma designed & built 22 levergun. As well as importing some other European produced firearms. He was also the owner of the Black Powder Firearms Company that did the finish work on the Colt "F" Series under contract to Colt and the later 3rd gen or "Signature Series" black powder pistols under Colt license.
I would assume that if Louis Imperato really did design that leveraction rifle Henry Repeating Arms would state that in every advertisement.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:27 am
Griff wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm It's my understanding that Louis Imperato was president of Iver Johnson in the seventies & imported the Erma designed & built 22 levergun. As well as importing some other European produced firearms. He was also the owner of the Black Powder Firearms Company that did the finish work on the Colt "F" Series under contract to Colt and the later 3rd gen or "Signature Series" black powder pistols under Colt license.
I would assume that if Louis Imperato really did design that leveraction rifle Henry Repeating Arms would state that in every advertisement.
Known to toot their own horn, Not being shy, I agree with you.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!