Prices Going Up on ammo, powder and primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Prices Going Up on ammo, powder and primers

Post by JimT »

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Prices Going Up on ammo, powder and primers

Post by Grizz »

good thing inflation is so low and food and fuel and shelter is so cheap these days, eh?
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Made a round today looking for reloading supplies. Did not see a single container of Alliant powder and have not in a couple of years.
I did find some CCI 300 Large pistol primers and picked up a brick for $100. If the shortage gets worse on Vista's products around here
there won't be any to buy at any price.
Academy had a few sleeves of Winchester small pistol for $7.69. I did not buy any of those as I still have a good stash.
There seems to be a good selection of Hogden powders. I picked up a pound of H1000 for $55 and a pound of BLC2 for $44.
I probably would have been better off ordering online and paying the HAZMAT fees.

JBowen
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There is a fair amount of Alliant at a gun shop in Abilene, but they have it priced in the $50/pound neighborhood. :(
I think the ammo and component companies somehow found out I am getting a whole $40 per month raise in my Social Security in January, and they seek to take it from me. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:46 am There is a fair amount of Alliant at a gun shop in Abilene, but they have it priced in the $50/pound neighborhood. :(
I think the ammo and component companies somehow found out I am getting a whole $40 per month raise in my Social Security in January, and they seek to take it from me. :lol:
Quite a few online places are pricing it that way, though there are a couple were still in the high 30's a few days ago.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Alliant can't seem to supply the powders they list in any volume. Accurate, Hodgdon, Vihtavouri, and RamShot seem to have good availability ... but not Alliant. Generally, I've been replacing my use of Alliant powders where possible.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:52 am
good thing inflation is so low and food and fuel and shelter is so cheap these days, eh?
Gas around $2.40/ gallon in my parts here lately. My thinking is Joe China and friends will try to do everything within their sphere of influence to keep gas prices reasonable leading up to the election - prices are still quite high in California I hear though
----- Doug
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Streetstar wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:19 pm
Grizz wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:52 am
Gas around $2.40/ gallon in my parts here lately. My thinking is Joe China and friends will try to do everything within their sphere of influence to keep gas prices reasonable leading up to the election - prices are still quite high in California I hear though
They can drain the SPR all they want. With the Yemeni government shutting down Red Sea traffic we’re in for an increase. Barring a deep recession of course. Expect 24¢ increase in the next week with more to follow.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

1, Create the perception there is going to be a shortage.

2, Let the public start panic buying and hoarding to create the "shortage".

3, jack up prices to maximize profits during buying frenzy and justify it because of "supply and demand".

It's just like the toilet paper "shortage" during early covid.
NRA Life Member
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Might be something to that.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

TedH wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:54 pm 1, Create the perception there is going to be a shortage.

2, Let the public start panic buying and hoarding to create the "shortage".

3, jack up prices to maximize profits during buying frenzy and justify it because of "supply and demand".

It's just like the toilet paper "shortage" during early covid.
This is absolutely true.
The ammo and component shortage and prices the last 10 years have been caused by the very companies that make them. It's just good business. They can produce less and make more.
It doesn't change the realities of the situation, however.

I just ordered an 8lb can of Unique, 2 lbs of 2400, and some primers. First time I'd seen Unique in stock anywhere in several years.
I was pretty well set before, but waiting for it to get "back to normal" is a waste of good shooting time. This IS normal. It ain't gonna change, other than to get MORE expensive.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Artificial shortages go back a very long time, and happen often with all sorts of manufacturers. I remember my parents talking about of all things peanut butter being tough to find back in the 1930's and the prices went nuts. Once it ended, the price of peanut butter never went back to where it was pre "shortage".
Others have simply seen what can be done by holding back a little. Their production costs go down as they send employees home, but their income and profits go up, so it's a win-win for them!
I'm glad I routinely bought primers, powder, and .22LR ammo every payday for many decades. I've lived through a number of "shortages" of primer, powder, and ammo, and I'm probably going to leave a lot of all these things to my heirs who shoot once I'm gone. Unfortunately only my youngest daughter, and her husband are into it enough to reload, so they'll be the ones who benefit from my purchases.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I did the same, and have a good supply. All three of my sons anf my grandkids are shooters, however, so they are probably plotting my demise. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

And like a fool I had some primers in an auction last week for selling….got a measly $725 for 7K primers…….hopefully, as they go up to 300 a K I’ll unload another 20K. Only in America can one utilize the qualities of capitalism………😜
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Our local Sportsman Warehouse went from $5.99 per hundred to $7.99 per hundred for spp