Central Oregon elk hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Central Oregon elk hunt

Post by earlmck »

Wednesday was looking like the last dry day for a while so friend Butch and I jaunted out east of town for to look for a lady elk. No elk found but I took a few pics to show fellow levergunners the scenery. Hunt area is mostly an old juniper cut area which has been burned within the past 10 years, with patches and groves of junipers or pine trees. I made a nice circle and had only seen tracks made in the mud from at least a week ago, but when back within a half mile of the pickup finally found fresh tracks from a couple cows and calves (the picture marked with the cartridge). So they are out there waiting for our next trip.

The Savage m99 was rebarreled to 260 Remington from 308 a few years ago. 140 grain Speer, case full of 4831. I don't know why the gun picture appears twice because it doesn't show that way in the "attachments" list. I guess the site wants to make sure the levergun shows up.

On RTB friend Butch had begun to cut some fire-killed juniper into firewood which we loaded into my pickup to take to friend Larry. Larry owns the land where we hunt and cut wood, and has a shop with woodstove where we like to congregate and solve world problems and sample locally available brews. No pictures of the brews but they'd tend to be Pabst, Henry's, Hamms... whatever was on sale that day.
ElkCountry700.jpg
ElkCountry699.jpg
ElkHunt696.jpg
ElkHunt698.jpg
ElkRifle697.jpg
ElkTrak702.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Central Oregon elk hunt

Post by Pat C »

Looks like a lot of country for them to lay up and hide in.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That looks like nice country to hunt in, but what i really like is the 99 a Leupold scope & red & black wool!!

ollogger
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We saw some big herds with at least 9-10 6x6 bull elk at my nephew's place near Goldendale, Wa. during deer season. But two weeks later when 1st season elk began there not an elk in sight anywhere.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, so very glad to hear that you and Butch are still chasing elk! I treasure my memories of cutting juniper with your counsel on those snowy winter days out near Post, I think it was.
I believe that .260 in a 99 will be just dandy for the work at hand. Wish you and all the kids and grandkids a truly heart-felt Christmas. Y'all still got beer and peanuts for solving world problems I hope! :lol:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks fantastic country.
Good friends, good rifle. What else does a man want....
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

ollogger wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:01 pm That looks like nice country to hunt in, but what i really like is the 99 a Leupold scope & red & black wool!!
Dang right! Pendleton jacket with the back "game pocket" has been with me for over 40 years on many many hunts. And the 2X7 Leupold set on "2" is always ready for a quick shot. You just can't beat "tried and true".
Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:07 pm Earl, so very glad to hear that you and Butch are still chasing elk! I treasure my memories of cutting juniper with your counsel on those snowy winter days out near Post, I think it was.
I believe that .260 in a 99 will be just dandy for the work at hand. Wish you and all the kids and grandkids a truly heart-felt Christmas. Y'all still got beer and peanuts for solving world problems I hope! :lol:
Would you believe Bill -- pard Butch discovered within the last couple years that he had developed a dang peanut alergy. Surely is insulting the things our aging bodies can spring on us, just when we have all this acquired wisdom and time to do things and money to do 'em. Sheeesh! But he's been "making do" with chips 'n salsa as a substitute for the real thing.
Nath wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:39 am Looks fantastic country.
Good friends, good rifle. What else does a man want....
Isn't that the truth Nath. Would be real good if you could join us for a session!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very kind of you to say Earl. What a lovely thought, me there, wow.
Thank you 😊🙏
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath I used to live in that country, and shoot with Earl. You would absolutely love it.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Sure is beautiful place to hunt and great rifle to hunt it with, good pics!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A great post with great photos, thanks for sharing :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve owned several Savage 99’s over the years but I’m no great fan , but in 260 or 7-08 it makes it quite Intresting 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !