2.25-inch gun belts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

2.25-inch gun belts

Post by Naphtali »

I can identify two distinct 2.25-inch leather gun belts - the "River" or border patrol with its separately affixed smaller sub-belt fastener; and a standard police belt. Because the river belt is assembled and standard police belt is one piece, I want to believe one class is superior (however you define superior). Please clarify for me.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 2.25-inch gun belts

Post by Griff »

The following is simply my opinion based on limited wear of the Ranger style belt. I used the Ranger style belt when in the local Sheriff's Posse, mainly because of it's more "western" appearance. The rest of our gear & tack was "western". Formal dress events, we added a small neckerchief to our Wranglers and white shirts, while working outfits we wore the chambray style shirt. We each supplied our own uniforms and tack, so there was some variance in details, except in things with the name of the county on them. Our breast collars and saddle blanket covers were purchased as a group buy. I think couple of the guys at the beginning wore a Sam Browne belt, but I never paid much attention. There were only about half of us that were certified peace officers, (20 total). I joined pretty early on after the Posse was formed and we still hadn't even settled on the color of our gear. (Black or brown).
Ranger Belt:

Sam Browne belt:
I think the Sam Browne styled belt is a stronger belt, and is generally home to more gear worn on the belt... not to say the Ranger style is not adequate. It also depends one one's body shape and where one wears each style belt. The Sam Browne is meant to attach to the trouser belt via "keepers", whereas the Ranger belt is oft a standalone affair. I have seen them used with keepers on the "noassatall" body type. I don't think either is "better" or "worse" than the other in function, but rather quality of hardware and leather is more important.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I wore both for several years each. I came to prefer the Ranger style belt because it conformed better to my waist. But I wore keepers with either belt to secure it to my trouser belt.

The Ranger style belt was more comfortable to me.

These days I wear a heavy duty belt in my pant loops. But I don’t carry the same heavy gear that I used to.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

So the choice is much like Americans' choice of cars pre- Toyota, Datsun, Subaru, etc.?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:55 am I wore both for several years each. I came to prefer the Ranger style belt because it conformed better to my waist. But I wore keepers with either belt to secure it to my trouser belt.

In both cases, the choice of belt was not mine but my Department.

These days I wear a heavy duty belt in my pant loops. But I don’t carry the same heavy gear that I used to.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Naphtali wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:37 amSo the choice is much like Americans' choice of cars pre- Toyota, Datsun, Subaru, etc.?
I wear a 1-¾" version of the Ranger belt (either a single heavy ply or a 2-ply) as a pants belt now and find it comfortable and as useful as I need today, with only an IWB holster & spare mag pouch.
IMO, the Ranger belt is better looking, even in plainer versions than the picture floral carving. Both my current ones are a basket weave stamping.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:55 am I wore both for several years each. I came to prefer the Ranger style belt because it conformed better to my waist. But I wore keepers with either belt to secure it to my trouser belt.

Scott saved me some typing. I wore them both, over ten years each, and found Hume's River belt far more comfortable of the two. I attributed this to the River Belt being more flexible at the buckle.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I had discoloration at the point of my hipbones from wearing a Sam Browne when I was a skinny cop. Took years for those dark spots to go away.