Win Mod 88 in .308

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Win Mod 88 in .308

Post by jkbrea »

Is $850 a good deal for a pre 64? Ad says excellent condition....
windy
Levergunner

Re: Win Mod 88 in .308

Post by windy »

Would be around here. What kinda mounts it got? Or are you an "au naturale" guy?
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

At todays prices i would say thats a good buy, it would be hard to find a pre 64 94 at that price
my uncle gave me a post 64 model 88 in 308 it is slick & a good shooter

ollogger
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Absolutely, however, you really need to see it in person if you can. The trigger group cycles out of the stock with the lever and the action can get a bit lose. Also, look for any cracks in the stock around the pistol grip as they were a bit weak there.

I looked for 20 yrs for one in .308 that was in excellent condition and finally found a 1959 in .308 with a great action and excellent trigger for the design. Turns out the widow I bought it from, gave it to her husband for Christmas in 1959 (she still had the receipt).

He thought the stock was too pretty looking to hunt so he put it in his safe where it sat until he died of Parkinson's Disease a few decades later. I agree that the 88 is one of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen.

By the way, it's a decent 2+ MOA shooter with the right ammo. Mine seems to like the 165 grn Hornady SP bullets over W760 or H335 in Winchester brass best of all the powders I use (not a Varget fan).

As I got it. (She ordered it from Winchester with the recoil pad installed as back they we could custom do rifles at will.):
DSCN4030.JPG
As I have it now with a Redfield scope and vintage mount:
DSCN4040.JPG
EDIT to Add: BTW, I still have that box of ammo my wife got me for Christmas after I brought it home. It's never seen a commercial round because when I got it it was clear that it was . . . unfired!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by COSteve on Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

CO Steve: now that is a really nice looking and well preserved rifle!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Beautiful rifles but hens teeth around here. That would be a great price. By the way, I always thought Ruger stole that styling for their 96.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I forgot to give you a couple of website links that might help you. Good information in each one.
https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20 ... _info.html
https://www.ogca.com/WRM_collecting_winchester_pre.htm
https://winchestercollector.org/
Once you get one, you might find these helpful too:
Win 88 Disassembly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ceRdhLG0c
Win 88 Assembly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrsEOediSkQ
And you may need some parts or magazines from Wisners:
http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/winches ... ls-88-100/
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Sounds like a fair price. I would like to stumble on to one. They are pretty rare here in my neck of the woods.
I have two of its cousins, Model 100’s. A 308 and a 243.
They are respectable shooters.

JBOWEN
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:32 pm Beautiful rifles but hens teeth around here. That would be a great price. By the way, I always thought Ruger stole that styling for their 96.
I always think it's funny when someone says the Rugers 'look way too weird to be taken seriously' as leverguns, then hold up the Winchester 88, or Savage 99, as 'classic works of art'. Now the choice of wood for the stocks, and the general level of hand-craftedness is greater in the pre-VietNam era guns across the board, but the designs as you say are pretty similar....and practical ..!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:39 pm
jeepnik wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:32 pm Beautiful rifles but hens teeth around here. That would be a great price. By the way, I always thought Ruger stole that styling for their 96.
I always think it's funny when someone says the Rugers 'look way too weird to be taken seriously' as leverguns, then hold up the Winchester 88, or Savage 99, as 'classic works of art'. Now the choice of wood for the stocks, and the general level of hand-craftedness is greater in the pre-VietNam era guns across the board, but the designs as you say are pretty similar....and practical ..!
That's because a lot of folks have never seen or heard of the 88.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad