Cleaning brass, breaking-in barrels, gun cleaning...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Cleaning brass, breaking-in barrels, gun cleaning...

Post by AJMD429 »

.......or NOT... :o

https://youtu.be/FIx52oS2Sk4

Can't argue with success...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Cleaning brass, breaking-in barrels, gun cleaning...

Post by piller »

Sort of goes against what I was taught.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Barrel "break in" has long been a myth among shooters. Barrel makers have known that and talked about it for years. Back in the 1970's and 80's there were articles about this, saying the same thing as the video. But most shooters are superstitious enough that if they have done it that way they have a hard time giving it up.

Edit: Barrel-maker Gail McMillan said that the “one-shot, one-clean” ritual was a gimmick devised by barrel makers to wear out barrels more quickly so they can sell more product. He rightly points out that every shot down the tube just reduces your barrel’s maximum accuracy life.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Interesting on a "theoretical" front but the reloading techniques of folks who are trying to get large single-shot bolt guns using jacketed target bullets to go from 1/2 moa groups down to 1/4 moa are not related to the techniques used by us fellers who are stuffing a tubular magazine full of cast-bullet loads. Well, we do all put case, primer, powder, bullet together in some manner so I suppose we are kinda' related. But more like second cousins than brothers.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I made a very wordy, long winded response to this video... but it boils down to I clean my brass because it usually lands in the dirt and I simply don't need to introduce that into the inner workings of any of my guns... even tho' I'm not a lang range shooter, nor are my guns anywhere near the value of those.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

but it boils down to I clean my brass because it usually lands in the dirt and I simply don't need to introduce that into the inner workings of any of my guns
This..... :)

-Stretch
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I clean my brass because when I started reloading more than 60 years ago, we didn't have carbide full length sizing dies. I am not sure if they were available or not. But what I started out with was a Lyman "drive-in" die where you used a mallet and drove the fired cartridge into a die and then drove it back out. Loading was with a Lyman 310 Tool. If the brass was dirty eventually it scratched the die and soon your cartridges had long "gouges" on them .. scratches where they would eventually fail.

So all my brass no matter what gets cleaned before resizing. Maybe it's not needed with carbide dies but, in the long run they look better and anymore, that counts also. :lol: