It's getting harder....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

It's getting harder....

Post by Nath »

My hunting is getting harder. I have a really bad right foot. It is very painful. I've started walking like my grandfather, he had a club foot all his life after as a child fooling around the coal delivery cart and the horse moved crushing his foot under the wheel!
Now I'm struggling to do more than five miles.

Still managing a few though.
This fox was steeling chickens and was easy enough using NV. I've got a Sitemark wraith now and it's kind of neat.
IMG_20230323_213421.jpg
SAVE_20230323_214017.jpg
He was easy from the comfort of the car and not to late.
This one took some fooling with tasty bait but got it after a week of trying.
100yds 17hmr.
IMG_20230319_212826.jpg
I had a walk with a shotgun a few weeks ago. My Valmet and happened upon a sleeping fox on a slight raised embankment only 15yds away!
I had loaded in the Valmet 2 3" BB cartridges and gave him the shock of his life!
IMG_20230305_155147.jpg
The stainless Ruger is doing well at taking varmints, squirrels, rabbits and crows.
I got some CCI minimags and it likes them so that's good, never really had a rifle that likes them.
IMG_20230327_201100.jpg
So if you pass through England and see some one hobbling his way across a field give a shout, it may just be me.

N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: It's getting harder....

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath, glad you are keeping after it. I always enjoy your report.
I sure hope there is a medical option to relieve that foot pain. Could it be related to an issue with your lower back?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bloody good shooting despite the dodgy right foot....my guns are only ornaments at the moment... :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Some days I would like a shot at whoever said these were the Golden Years. :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve been putting off knee surgery for years. Recently three of my friends have had minor surgeries and two of them died. One darn near died after his knee surgery. So I’m not doing anything about it right now.

Walking around Key West for the last five days makes me grateful that I’m still getting around.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Some days I would like a shot at whoever said these were the Golden Years."
--Jim T

I heard the "Golden Years" defined as a medicine cabinet full of prescriptions and a a denture cup by the sink, couples having matching denture cups. :lol:
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am having Radio Frequency Ablation in the vein of my left leg on May 12 so that my left leg stops swelling. Too many years of standing in 1 place for the job.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I feel you... :)
My knees were shot, i could make it to the mailbox and back, just. 5 miles? I wish....

Just had bilateral knee replacements, 5 weeks yesterday, already can see major improvement, maybe 5 miles is in my future yet!

Hope you get it sorted...gotta keep it moving or you'll be sitting in a chair just telling stories... Good Luck
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What’s the Ruger you speak of…?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks fellers for the sympathy and compassion.
Doc, it's a 1022 that's all.
IMG_20230326_180755.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm pushing 72 and understand completely. :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I'm glad we're keeping it wholesome.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

well done Nath!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If I'd known that all the painful stuff I did when younger would lead to even greater painful just standing around later... I'd have not done some of it... Or so I like to think! Take care Nath, many of us on this side of the pond live vicariously thru your posts! See, wishing you the best... for us! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks gents.
Managed 4 miles this afternoon but was staggering the last 400 yards to the car.
Rats, rabbit and crow was taken along the way with the 17 HMR.
The rabbit was 160+ yards. Rested shot. Cz455.
IMG_20230401_172721.jpg
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nath wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:19 pm The rabbit was 160+ yards. Rested shot. Cz455.
IMG_20230401_172721.jpg
Nice! Great shooting!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JimT wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:15 pm
Nath wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:19 pm The rabbit was 160+ yards. Rested shot. Cz455.
IMG_20230401_172721.jpg
Nice! Great shooting!
Thanks Jim.
I've got a fancy scop on the 455 with a dedicated 17hmr reticle graduated to around 500yds!

I used the px adjuster to focus on the rabbit and it suggested 200yds but with my aging eyes screwing around with the scopes focusing can leave it's ranging ability with a lot to be desired!
Any way I thought it was less than 200 but more than 150 so I used the 175 dot.
I was right to but forgot to put some wind in. Needed 2" left for a noggin shot so due to bunny's position on the shot I got lucky.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Lucky shots count!
And if someone is watching you just act humble as if you make that kind of shot every day. :lol:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

JimT wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:50 am Lucky shots count!
And if someone is watching you just act humble as if you make that kind of shot every day. :lol:
Of course 😊
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:56 am Some days I would like a shot at whoever said these were the Golden Years. :lol:
GREAT SHOT NATH!…..we had 4 the other night all at once and they were fighting but Gunny said it’s mating time or something like that….for real, over the winter one was standing outside the window with his feet on the brick sill and watched TV with us for a few minutes until the dogs chased him away. Expecting mange this year as when the numbers go up so do diseases and that brings us to mankind……..

Golden years?……..don’t know who ever said that as at this stage of life, most anyone you ever cared about is dead or moved away…..if you did life right there’s not much to look forward to and you can feel your own demise creeping up……and THATS why you don’t mess with an old guy as a life sentence don’t mean much.

The human wasnt designed to live more than about 45 and that’s if he was strong and smart. We ALL have issues bud so your not alone…..
You want something that will take the life right out of you, you ought to live a week in my shoes with Meniers disease, the most debilitating non lethal disease there is………it’s got better/tolerable since my left ear went totally deaf but the last 5 years hasn’t been no picnic.

Keep on shootin’ and be thankful we are on this side of the dirt.——006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:42 am
JimT wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:56 am Some days I would like a shot at whoever said these were the Golden Years. :lol:
GREAT SHOT NATH!…..we had 4 the other night all at once and they were fighting but Gunny said it’s mating time or something like that….for real, over the winter one was standing outside the window with his feet on the brick sill and watched TV with us for a few minutes until the dogs chased him away. Expecting mange this year as when the numbers go up so do diseases and that brings us to mankind……..

Golden years?……..don’t know who ever said that as at this stage of life, most anyone you ever cared about is dead or moved away…..if you did life right there’s not much to look forward to and you can feel your own demise creeping up……and THATS why you don’t mess with an old guy as a life sentence don’t mean much.

The human wasnt designed to live more than about 45 and that’s if he was strong and smart. We ALL have issues bud so your not alone…..
You want something that will take the life right out of you, you ought to live a week in my shoes with Meniers disease, the most debilitating non lethal disease there is………it’s got better/tolerable since my left ear went totally deaf but the last 5 years hasn’t been no picnic.

Keep on shootin’ and be thankful we are on this side of the dirt.——006
Thanks old buddy, wise words. Keep on keeping on and tell the fox yer fetching Nath over!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!