Finally Shooting My Winchester Model 1901

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Finally Shooting My Winchester Model 1901

Post by Rube Burrows »

https://youtu.be/0SrpLcxeMCU

Still don't know how to embed them here rather than the link.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Finally Shooting My Winchester Model 1901

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Rube....you sure got the "original gun bug bite". Your as happy with that 1901 in your hands as a bird dog with a pheasant in his mouth.

Ya done a super job on the butt pad ...nice clean lines, no gaps......you know quality.....With some of today's guns you can lose a wheelbarrow in between the metal and the wood.

Just a suggestion.....next time filming, start shooting at a can on the ground and keep it rolling with successive shots.----006

And like I said before, with original guns, your not "spending" money, your "investing"....
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:27 pm Yea Rube....you sure got the "original gun bug bite". Your as happy with that 1901 in your hands as a bird dog with a pheasant in his mouth.

Ya done a super job on the butt pad ...nice clean lines, no gaps......you know quality.....With some of today's guns you can lose a wheelbarrow in between the metal and the wood.

Just a suggestion.....next time filming, start shooting at a can on the ground and keep it rolling with successive shots.----006

And like I said before, with original guns, your not "spending" money, your "investing"....

Thanks for the comment and the pointers also. Shooting a can around would be good fun too. I like the sound of that. Yeah, that old recoil bad that was on it when I picked it up was pretty bad as you can see in these two photos. I wish it was still the original metal buttplate with the point up top but it is what it is. I have my eyes open for another original stock set. If I ever come across one that would fit the look of the gun maybe I can get it. All in all though, I am happy with the way this one turned out and happy to be able to shoot it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Whoa...talk about bubbasized! You did well and keep it like it is or......if you get bored this winter, you can pop off the butt stock and strip it.....no sanding.......find some wood that has similar grain and color........add the needed amount and fill in the crack with colored wood filler and blend it on both sides of the crack..........as you know, you will need an exact cut on the wood for a perfect seamless fit....and look......then use the standard reddish wood oil and coat the stock, leaving the dents as they were.....

If you blend it right you won't see the cut......then hunt down a butt plate, original or repo....maybe one of those Chinese ones will work.......take the blue off and antique it with acid.......

Sounds like a lot of work but it's not, especially as yours looks pretty good as is.

I've done a fair amount of restor work for other people on guns that had social security numbers engraved on them or guns that were held together with lag bolts.....one was an original Pennsylvania long gun flintlock!

Your not altering the gun or faking it...your putting back what used to be there,,,,,----006

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Cool video! That is really nice shape. I have an 1887 12ga. Ive had it 25 years but never fired it.

Rarely see the 1887 and 1901s around here. When you do, they are really rough. Mine isn't bad, but doesn't have the finish yours does.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:04 pm Whoa...talk about bubbasized! You did well and keep it like it is or......if you get bored this winter, you can pop off the butt stock and strip it.....no sanding.......find some wood that has similar grain and color........add the needed amount and fill in the crack with colored wood filler and blend it on both sides of the crack..........as you know, you will need an exact cut on the wood for a perfect seamless fit....and look......then use the standard reddish wood oil and coat the stock, leaving the dents as they were.....

If you blend it right you won't see the cut......then hunt down a butt plate, original or repo....maybe one of those Chinese ones will work.......take the blue off and antique it with acid.......

Sounds like a lot of work but it's not, especially as yours looks pretty good as is.

I've done a fair amount of restor work for other people on guns that had social security numbers engraved on them or guns that were held together with lag bolts.....one was an original Pennsylvania long gun flintlock!

Your not altering the gun or faking it...your putting back what used to be there,,,,,----006
I think that may be a little above my pay grade. Sure, I think I could eventually figure it out but i'm not sure it would be worth the effort since I have not worked with wood in that kinf of manner before. Who knows though. I do get wild hairs now and then and take on large projects like that would prob. turn out.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

OldWin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:27 am Cool video! That is really nice shape. I have an 1887 12ga. Ive had it 25 years but never fired it.

Rarely see the 1887 and 1901s around here. When you do, they are really rough. Mine isn't bad, but doesn't have the finish yours does.

I have an original 1887 also. Someone reblued it many years ago before I got it. It looks good. I keep going back and fourth on if I want to have it redone to look more original. Its pretty but they blued the receiver and I would like to have it case hardened like when original.

I know a lot of people don't care for the Winchester Lever Shotguns but I have always loved them and was happy to add those to my collection of shooters. I also have one made by Norinco that is set up with a drop two mod for Cowboy Action Shooting. All three run really well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I like them too. I am NOT a shotgun guy at all but really like the 87 an 01 Winchesters. Just cool old guns.

I used to have a really minty 1882 Spencer 12ga too. That was a neat shotgun too. I sold it about 10 years or so ago.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

OldWin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:54 pm I like them too. I am NOT a shotgun guy at all but really like the 87 an 01 Winchesters. Just cool old guns.

I used to have a really minty 1882 Spencer 12ga too. That was a neat shotgun too. I sold it about 10 years or so ago.

Traditionally, I have not been a shotgun guy either but I go through phases where I buy old shotguns and then I'll buy old rifles and always like old pistols.

I bet the 1882 Spencer was neat. I don't know that I have ever saw one.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:06 pm
OldWin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:54 pm I like them too. I am NOT a shotgun guy at all but really like the 87 an 01 Winchesters. Just cool old guns.

Traditionally, I have not been a shotgun guy either but I go through phases where I buy old shotguns and then I'll buy old rifles and always like old pistols.

Haha! So it ain't just me?
Yeah, the Spencer was cool. It was the only one I've seen in person.
I remember the first time I saw "3:10 to Yuma" with Russel Crowe. There was one in that movie and I hollered out, "Hey! That guys got an 82 Spencer!" :D
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

OldWin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:37 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:06 pm

Haha! So it ain't just me?
Yeah, the Spencer was cool. It was the only one I've seen in person.
I remember the first time I saw "3:10 to Yuma" with Russel Crowe. There was one in that movie and I hollered out, "Hey! That guys got an 82 Spencer!" :D

Oh, nice. I would not know one if it was plain as day on tv. I will soon though cause I will be looking them up.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Ruby...don't show too many nice old original American built guns.. They only allow you to show 3 and then you will be shunned. Notice this thread?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Spencer made shotguns?

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:01 pm Spencer made shotguns?
Yeah. He actually was the first to make a pump shotgun as we know it. Tube magazine under the barrel, and a bakelite pump handle with action bars that doubled as extractors. It had a big spring loaded breech block. It extracted the empty onto a big radius cut on top of the breech block. Then the block snapped up and threw the empty up over your head. The receiver was very long. There was no safety. The trigger guard looked like a double barrel with the front trigger facing rearward. You could use it to cock or de-cock the hammer.
He sold his inventory to Bannermans and sold out to Winchester so they could get the patents He held.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Makes sense....Winchesters bought a lot of patents just to shut down their competition.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:16 pm Makes sense....Winchesters bought a lot of patents just to shut down their competition.
Oh yeah they did. They were ruthless, and a lot of cool designs never saw the light of day. They just shelved em.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:00 pm Hey Ruby...don't show too many nice old original American built guns.. They only allow you to show 3 and then you will be shunned. Notice this thread?
I'll try to not show to many. :D
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

OldWin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:14 pm
Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:01 pm Spencer made shotguns?
Yeah. He actually was the first to make a pump shotgun as we know it. Tube magazine under the barrel, and a bakelite pump handle with action bars that doubled as extractors. It had a big spring loaded breech block. It extracted the empty onto a big radius cut on top of the breech block. Then the block snapped up and threw the empty up over your head. The receiver was very long. There was no safety. The trigger guard looked like a double barrel with the front trigger facing rearward. You could use it to cock or de-cock the hammer.
He sold his inventory to Bannermans and sold out to Winchester so they could get the patents He held.
Very interesting stuff there.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That video is one of the best for showing how slick the action on the originals really were. You sure got yourself a nice old shotgun :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:25 am That video is one of the best for showing how slick the action on the originals really were. You sure got yourself a nice old shotgun :mrgreen:
Thanks. Yeah, some of the newer cheaper copies give them a bad name but both of my original 1887 and 1901 shotguns cycle nice and smooth. Even my Norinco clone after having some work done to it cycles super smooth.