Ruger LC, 5.7x28

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger LC, 5.7x28

Post by 2ndovc »

I was right, this thing is fun!

Had a little time to stop by the range between storms and conference calls. I wanted to try it out and get it sighted in. I'm not a fan of the holographic sights, outside I have a hard time seeing the red dot. Green is no better either. However, indoors, they seem to work ok and since the main role for this little carbine is as a "bump in the night" firearm, the dot works ok in lower light, short range conditions. The longest shot I could possibly make is from the garage to the dining room and that would be about 100' at the most.

Sighted in at 25 yds,, shooting off hand I was able to put ten rounds in a pretty decent little group. When time permits, I'll set it on a rest and see what it can really do. Some of the clusters on another target were pretty tight.
I'd like to set up a couple of fake sections of drywall and 2x4 studs and see what kind of penetration the little 40 gr. bullet is capable of.
As expected, it ran perfectly with no issues through the first 50 rounds. One thing that might annoy some people is that the magazines don't drop free like most are used to. Doesn't bother me, but some may get excited about it.

I wanted to take the .35 Remington 336 along, but the peep sight isn't here yet and I need to make up some more handloads.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger LC, 5.7x28

Post by Blaine »

Snipped From An Article I just read:

When fired from the FN P90, the 5.7×28mm SS190 can penetrate the NATO CRISAT vest or a Level IIIA Kevlar vest at a range of 200 m (219 yd).

Your Ruger should do an RCH better. 8) Although, I think that's the military round, I don't know if that's available.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Blaine wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:16 pm Snipped From An Article I just read:

When fired from the FN P90, the 5.7×28mm SS190 can penetrate the NATO CRISAT vest or a Level IIIA Kevlar vest at a range of 200 m (219 yd).

Your Ruger should do an RCH better. 8) Although, I think that's the military round, I don't know if that's available.
You got me; "RCH" ?

jb 8)

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

"RCH" garverism for redheaded **** hair :oops: think orange tabby fur 8)

Cool machine pistol/carbine. America Eagle tmj seems the way to go with the original penetrators being rare.
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ray wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:02 pm "RCH" garverism for redheaded **** hair :oops: think orange tabby fur 8)

Cool machine pistol/carbine. America Eagle tmj seems the way to go with the original penetrators being rare.
Now, that's the way to paint a verbal picture! :lol:

Here I am looking for technical abbreviations. :D

jb 8)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, its accurate and reasonably powerful, but the ammo is totally expensive, and a bit of a "b-i-t-ch" to reload for as the cases won't cycle without a coating. If you look at its advantages in terminal ballistic performance when compared to the .223, there isn't any. It does what it was intended to do, a smaller, lighter, cartridge and rifle. Less weight to carry for our troops. OK, I get it. Lighter ammo to carry, lighter rifle. I'm not in the military and I only handload, so not for me. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

No, it's not for everyone. It fills a role for me. It's light enough and simple to operate that after a couple of lessons, anyone in my house can operate it. I've been buying the Federal 5.7s for less than $35 / 50 round box. That isn't any more expensive than a quality 9mm or .45 ACP.
It's not going to be a target rifle or multiple afternoons of plinking around. Besides, out of 60 rounds, I found two empty cases! :shock:
Not planning on reloading for it anyway. I'll have enough on hand to repel boarders or hold down the fort until I am able to organize a proper counter offensive.

jb 8)

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:26 pm
Ray wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:02 pm "RCH" garverism for redheaded **** hair :oops: think orange tabby fur 8)

Now, that's the way to paint a verbal picture! :lol:

Here I am looking for technical abbreviations. :D

jb 8)
filling station grease monkey metric system nomenclature.....ginger and corn silks are finer and straighter....
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Red Curly Hair....*tsk*
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Blaine wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:53 pm

Red Curly Hair....*tsk*
Bad Ray ! Just got a timeout from the tubaman.....
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

No, it's not for everyone. It fills a role for me. It's light enough and simple to operate that after a couple of lessons, anyone in my house can operate it. I've been buying the Federal 5.7s for less than $35 / 50 round box. That isn't any more expensive than a quality 9mm or .45 ACP.
You found a really good source of factory ammo I think Jason and glad you did! If it works for you and your family, none of my business at all. I gave it serious thought but decided to pass.

Hopefully the price of its ammo will continue to drop with demand.

You know I hold you in complete respect always.

-Andy aka Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:39 pm No, it's not for everyone. It fills a role for me. It's light enough and simple to operate that after a couple of lessons, anyone in my house can operate it. I've been buying the Federal 5.7s for less than $35 / 50 round box. That isn't any more expensive than a quality 9mm or .45 ACP.
It's not going to be a target rifle or multiple afternoons of plinking around. Besides, out of 60 rounds, I found two empty cases! :shock:
Not planning on reloading for it anyway. I'll have enough on hand to repel boarders or hold down the fort until I am able to organize a proper counter offensive.

jb 8)
Even if it takes as many as three or four pops per home invading perp, you should still have plenty.....
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

CowboyTutt wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:01 pm
You found a really good source of factory ammo I think Jason and glad you did! If it works for you and your family, none of my business at all. I gave it serious thought but decided to pass.

Hopefully the price of its ammo will continue to drop with demand.

You know I hold you in complete respect always.

-Andy aka Tutt

No offense taken, Andy,

There's several reasons why I bought the little Ruger. As mentioned above, it fits the role as an indoor/ short range defensive carbine quite well.

Anyway,
The RCH conversation has been far more interesting than the Ruger. :D

jb 8)

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I wish the PC had been designed like this, with a grip mag well and a folding stock I mean. I don’t think the little 22 is for me. Neat little carbine though
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

44shooter wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:08 pm I wish the PC had been designed like this, with a grip mag well and a folding stock I mean. I don’t think the little 22 is for me. Neat little carbine though
I keep thinking one in .45 ACP that takes 1911 magazines would be pretty slick. I know this little oddball round isn't going to be everyone's idea of cool, especially in a room full of big, heavy, slow moving bullet fans, but I like things that are a little different too.

jb 8)

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:43 pm
44shooter wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:08 pm I wish the PC had been designed like this, with a grip mag well and a folding stock I mean. I don’t think the little 22 is for me. Neat little carbine though
I keep thinking one in .45 ACP that takes 1911 magazines would be pretty slick. I know this little oddball round isn't going to be everyone's idea of cool, especially in a room full of big, heavy, slow moving bullet fans, but I like things that are a little different too.

jb 8)
I would be all over that
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

44shooter wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:10 pm

jb 8)
I would be all over that
Cheap and easy to do. sarco has the 16.25" barrel and the grooved mainspring housing and the buttstock with the corresponding grooves. The first set I ordered to convert an auto ordnance 1911 languished there at sarco for weeks whilst they waited on n.f.a. paperwork from me. Then they figured-out it was perfectly ok to send together without batmen permission. Said to be the reason numrich quit selling them.
s128266702690627168_p160_i1_w640.jpeg
Here is a foto of iver johnsons factory built version that they're so proud($) of.....

sarco barrel https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-45-acp-barrel-16/

Alas, buttstock & mainspring housing out of stock.....

Factory built....https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mg ... /ij01rifle

Buttstock to mainspring housing fit is rather fragile and wobbly even with tension screw fully tightened.....barrel to slide fit rattles but it is reasonably accurate.....minute of pizza box at forty paces. Rev. Taylor would put a postage stamp on a pizza box and shoot a 1.5" group with the carbine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lightweight 300 blackout AR 15 carbine would be my choice over the 5.7, but I am not going to say you are wrong for your choice. I might suggest you get both and try them out for drywall penetration and total noise.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Ray wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:27 pm
44shooter wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:10 pm

jb 8)
I would be all over that
Cheap and easy to do. sarco has the 16.25" barrel and the grooved mainspring housing and the buttstock with the corresponding grooves. The first set I ordered to convert an auto ordnance 1911 languished there at sarco for weeks whilst they waited on n.f.a. paperwork from me. Then they figured-out it was perfectly ok to send together without batmen permission. Said to be the reason numrich quit selling them.

s128266702690627168_p160_i1_w640.jpeg

Here is a foto of iver johnsons factory built version that they're so proud($) of.....

sarco barrel https://www.sarcoinc.com/1911-45-acp-barrel-16/

Alas, buttstock & mainspring housing out of stock.....

Factory built....https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mg ... /ij01rifle

Buttstock to mainspring housing fit is rather fragile and wobbly even with tension screw fully tightened.....barrel to slide fit rattles but it is reasonably accurate.....minute of pizza box at forty paces. Rev. Taylor would put a postage stamp on a pizza box and shoot a 1.5" group with the carbine.
Hmm interesting but I want a longer sight radius and options for optics. That thing can’t even wear a sling. I know there’s Mectech? Who supplies barreled receivers that can take M1911. That seems neat. The Ruger in 40 would be very practical for me as I inherited both a Glock 23 and a Ruger SC40 so I have mags for whichever bottom metal I choose
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

These get good reviews, use glock mags. and run about $700 + taxes.....

https://justrightcarbines.com/products/?v=7516fd43adaa
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hmmm. One of those in 10mm could work for me, and even Commiafornia legal. Probably more high dollar options for me though, and I'm going to be pretty broke for a while after the move and find part time work. Still have one outstanding gun project that is going to cost me around $1200 I think to finish. Only took 2 plus years....sheesh.

-Tutt

PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Yeah, OK 5.7X28mm hi-tekkk hi-$$$ NATO...STANAG...EURO, all that and a bag of chips...or
hie thee to Walmart, Rural King or etc and get you a Mossy 20 gauge pump and some No.4 buck
20 'cause every one can handle one quick if they have to, scared and just waking up
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

PriseDeFer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:21 pm Yeah, OK 5.7X28mm hi-tekkk hi-$$$ NATO...STANAG...EURO, all that and a bag of chips...or
hie thee to Walmart, Rural King or etc and get you a Mossy 20 gauge pump and some No.4 buck
20 'cause every one can handle one quick if they have to, scared and just waking up
That may work for you and probably others, but not for me. My wife isn't about to pick up a pump shotgun any more than my Benelli M4 and go all Momma Bear on a bad guy. She's not a gun person, but the Ruger is light and compact and has virtually no recoil.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything. I find the cartridge interesting and combined with the reliability of a Ruger and a carbine that folds up small enough to fit in a medium size backpack that will travel well checked a lot of boxes for me. Another reason is, I wanted one.
There is another, but I'm not going to write/speak about it publicly.

jb

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I see no reason for animosity here, so lets just stop it now if we could. No need to ruin a good thread. JB knows what is right for his family, the 5.7 is a decent self-defense cartridge, and many others too.

-Tutt

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Here's one I was thinking about buying but I'd have to spend an extra franklin to get a schmidt to remount the sights on the starboard side :lol: so I might as well get a ruger !

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/264564
m.A.g.a. !
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

That is totally bad-asss and attractive too! :D -Tutt