The Old Man ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Old Man ....

Post by JimT »

The Old Man was living on the Spear S Ranch north of Phoenix, up near the New River country, when the thieves hit the place.  The Spear S was an old ranch and typical of the times and the country, most everything was just left where it happened to light.  Doors were not locked and trouble was not expected.  Expensive equipment was parked in a barn that would have been futile to lock anyway, seeing as you could walk through the walls in places.

The Spear S Ranch proper was over 12,000 acres..... a small spread in this part of Arizona.  It had almost 400 acres of patented land however that made it pretty valuable.  There were good wells on the ranch as well as man-made and natural tanks.  In a water-deprived country that was as good as gold. 

In a good year the ranch would support about 400 head of cows.  Most years weren't good.  Some years you did not want to run 100 head on the place.  The ranch had been sold off years before by the family and different "investors" tried to make a quick buck off it.  One guy ran 600 head of Corientes onto the place and lost them all.  Years later you could still see their carcasses and bones bleaching on the dry desert.

The Old Man had been living in town and was looking for a better place in the country.  The current owner of the Spear S asked him if he would like to live on the ranch. He could have the run of the place and help keep an eye on it.  Seems people had been raiding the ranch and just helping themselves to whatever they found.  The cows were being worked by a couple of nice wetbacks by the names of Joe Rivers and Joe Brown  (Jose Rios y Jose Moreno) from down Chihuahua way.  They would disappear if any strangers happened to come onto the place, but were top hands when it came to breaking horses and doctoring the cattle. The two Joe's lived in a little shack near the barn, worked hard, and sent most of their money home.  The Old Man and his wife quickly became close friends with them and sort of adopted them as their kids. 

The first month on the ranch The Old Man stayed busy killing rattlers and scorpions. There were huge tall Tamarack trees around the house which shed their needles all the time.  The needles had never been cleaned up and were 6 inches deep in places. Scorpions loved it as it gave them a warm, moist nesting place to raise their young.  The first night The Kid came to visit The Old Man he was stung twice as sat in the yard talking.

And there were rattlers everywhere.  The Kid shot 3 with his .45 Colt in the first week.  One was between the front legs of his sister's Arabian mare.  The mare was intent on eating her grain and when The Kid tried to move the nag she tried to kick him through the barn wall.  Never one with a lot of patience The Kid just pulled his .45 and shot the rattler as it lay coiled between the horse's legs.  The mare never flinched.  She just laid her ears back and kept working on the grain.  They waited until she was done eating to retrieve the snake.
There were several close calls with people and rattlers including one that struck at The Kid's wife.  So The Old Man decided enough was enough.  In town one day to collect the mail he found a young boy who was giving away kittens.  He told the boy he would take them all. When he got home he found he had 14 cats and proclaimed it was a good start.

And it was!  Within a short time the scorpions were gone. The cats ate them.  They would play with a scorpion, tease it awhile, then kill it and eat everything except the last few segments of the tail... the part where the poison was.  And it wasn't long that the rattlers learned to stay in the hills also. The cats would attack a rattler that came crawling into the yard.  The Old Man never lost a cat to a rattle snake either. Several got bit.  They would swell up and lay around for awhile but none ever died from it. For the rest of his stay on the ranch The Old Man never had problems with rattlers or scorpions!

It was the humans that caused the most problems. And he solved that also

The Old Man and his wife were met by "the Joe's" one day when they pulled into the ranch yard.  Seems someone had come while they were gone and stolen a bunch of stuff from the barn.  The boys had hid (as they normally did when strangers came around) but had watched what was going on.   The thieves had taken equipment, saddles, tack, and other stuff, loaded it into a truck and driven off. 
From the description of the truck The Old Man had knew who the thieves were.  There was a motorcycle club in the town and while many of them were good folks, there was an element in the group that ran the wrong way.  The truck described belonged to one of the guys in the motorcycle club... there weren't two like it in the country.  The Old Man knew some of the leaders in the club and in fact, worked with them on some construction jobs.  They knew him and knew what he was and what he stood for, and many of them respected him.  His ability with a gun was well-known also.  What they may not have known was that The Old Man believed in riding for the brand.  If you signed on, you laid it all on the line for your boss.  While he was not working the Spear S as a cowboy, he had taken on living there with the condition that he would keep an eye on the place. He took the robbery as a personal affront. 

He waited until he knew that most of the group was at a particular place.  Then he stuck his .44 in his belt and paid them a call.  He drove up, walked up to the front door and the leader of the group called him by name and said for him to come on in. The Old Man said, "I am not here to visit.  Someone stole some stuff from the Spear S Ranch.  I know who it was.  I am here to tell you that if it is all returned by tomorrow there will be no trouble and nothing further will be said.  If it isn't back I will come looking for the ones that did this." and then he turned around and walked out and got in his truck without looking back.

The next evening "the Joe's" reported that the same truck came to the ranch and unloaded everything that had been taken. It was all returned and put back in it's place.  

The Old Man worked on the same crew with the people involved for another 2 years and never said a word about the incident.  As far as he was concerned it was past and gone. 

He crossed over the Great Divide Christmas Eve 2011 and I miss him every day. These days it seems more and more are going. One of these days it will be my turn. I am looking forward to a reunion.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: The Old Man ....

Post by 1894cfan »

When I was coming up I was told to respect my elders, the older I get the harder it is to find any!
And then one day I realised I are one! :shock:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

"If you signed on, you laid it all on the line for your boss."

This concept seems to be lost on a lot of people these days. Its understandable as folks don't generally stay with a particular job for very long these days and they don't develop any particular loyalties to their employer or even their profession.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jim, as I've said before, great story!

Whats worse is an employer that treats ya like scum. I put 10 years into a local lumber yard, 7 of which not a penny raise and 6 day weeks. I made the mistake of thinking of the place as mine and put way more into than I got out. My stress levels were severe to say the least. Couldn't stand up straight by the end of the day. Going to chiropractor daily. Whenever the owner saw me doubled over he would laugh. But thats what ya get for trying to be 4 people at once. I dont miss it at all! Haven't stepped onto the place since '14 and never will!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

👍
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oldncrusty wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:48 pm👍
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

How much simpler it was when good men had values and even criminals would respect or fear that.

Another good story Jim, keep 'em coming....... thumbs up for sure....👍
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

JimT wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:21 am The Old Man was living on the Spear S Ranch north of Phoenix, up near the New River country, when the thieves hit the place.  The Spear S was an old ranch and typical of the times and the country, most everything was just left where it happened to light.  Doors were not locked and trouble was not expected.  Expensive equipment was parked in a barn that would have been futile to lock anyway, seeing as you could walk through the walls in places.

The Spear S Ranch proper was over 12,000 acres..... a small spread in this part of Arizona.  It had almost 400 acres of patented land however that made it pretty valuable.  There were good wells on the ranch as well as man-made and natural tanks.  In a water-deprived country that was as good as gold. 

In a good year the ranch would support about 400 head of cows.  Most years weren't good.  Some years you did not want to run 100 head on the place.  The ranch had been sold off years before by the family and different "investors" tried to make a quick buck off it.  One guy ran 600 head of Corientes onto the place and lost them all.  Years later you could still see their carcasses and bones bleaching on the dry desert.

The Old Man had been living in town and was looking for a better place in the country.  The current owner of the Spear S asked him if he would like to live on the ranch. He could have the run of the place and help keep an eye on it.  Seems people had been raiding the ranch and just helping themselves to whatever they found.  The cows were being worked by a couple of nice wetbacks by the names of Joe Rivers and Joe Brown  (Jose Rios y Jose Moreno) from down Chihuahua way.  They would disappear if any strangers happened to come onto the place, but were top hands when it came to breaking horses and doctoring the cattle. The two Joe's lived in a little shack near the barn, worked hard, and sent most of their money home.  The Old Man and his wife quickly became close friends with them and sort of adopted them as their kids. 

The first month on the ranch The Old Man stayed busy killing rattlers and scorpions. There were huge tall Tamarack trees around the house which shed their needles all the time.  The needles had never been cleaned up and were 6 inches deep in places. Scorpions loved it as it gave them a warm, moist nesting place to raise their young.  The first night The Kid came to visit The Old Man he was stung twice as sat in the yard talking.

And there were rattlers everywhere.  The Kid shot 3 with his .45 Colt in the first week.  One was between the front legs of his sister's Arabian mare.  The mare was intent on eating her grain and when The Kid tried to move the nag she tried to kick him through the barn wall.  Never one with a lot of patience The Kid just pulled his .45 and shot the rattler as it lay coiled between the horse's legs.  The mare never flinched.  She just laid her ears back and kept working on the grain.  They waited until she was done eating to retrieve the snake.
There were several close calls with people and rattlers including one that struck at The Kid's wife.  So The Old Man decided enough was enough.  In town one day to collect the mail he found a young boy who was giving away kittens.  He told the boy he would take them all. When he got home he found he had 14 cats and proclaimed it was a good start.

And it was!  Within a short time the scorpions were gone. The cats ate them.  They would play with a scorpion, tease it awhile, then kill it and eat everything except the last few segments of the tail... the part where the poison was.  And it wasn't long that the rattlers learned to stay in the hills also. The cats would attack a rattler that came crawling into the yard.  The Old Man never lost a cat to a rattle snake either. Several got bit.  They would swell up and lay around for awhile but none ever died from it. For the rest of his stay on the ranch The Old Man never had problems with rattlers or scorpions!

It was the humans that caused the most problems. And he solved that also

The Old Man and his wife were met by "the Joe's" one day when they pulled into the ranch yard.  Seems someone had come while they were gone and stolen a bunch of stuff from the barn.  The boys had hid (as they normally did when strangers came around) but had watched what was going on.   The thieves had taken equipment, saddles, tack, and other stuff, loaded it into a truck and driven off. 
From the description of the truck The Old Man had knew who the thieves were.  There was a motorcycle club in the town and while many of them were good folks, there was an element in the group that ran the wrong way.  The truck described belonged to one of the guys in the motorcycle club... there weren't two like it in the country.  The Old Man knew some of the leaders in the club and in fact, worked with them on some construction jobs.  They knew him and knew what he was and what he stood for, and many of them respected him.  His ability with a gun was well-known also.  What they may not have known was that The Old Man believed in riding for the brand.  If you signed on, you laid it all on the line for your boss.  While he was not working the Spear S as a cowboy, he had taken on living there with the condition that he would keep an eye on the place. He took the robbery as a personal affront. 

He waited until he knew that most of the group was at a particular place.  Then he stuck his .44 in his belt and paid them a call.  He drove up, walked up to the front door and the leader of the group called him by name and said for him to come on in. The Old Man said, "I am not here to visit.  Someone stole some stuff from the Spear S Ranch.  I know who it was.  I am here to tell you that if it is all returned by tomorrow there will be no trouble and nothing further will be said.  If it isn't back I will come looking for the ones that did this." and then he turned around and walked out and got in his truck without looking back.

The next evening "the Joe's" reported that the same truck came to the ranch and unloaded everything that had been taken. It was all returned and put back in it's place.  

The Old Man worked on the same crew with the people involved for another 2 years and never said a word about the incident.  As far as he was concerned it was past and gone. 

He crossed over the Great Divide Christmas Eve 2011 and I miss him every day. These days it seems more and more are going. One of these days it will be my turn. I am looking forward to a reunion.
Great story! :)
Merle from PA
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Have always loved your tales of days gone by. Riding for the brand has certainly gotten a lot tougher these days.
Dave
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

High Desert Hunter wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:31 am Have always loved your tales of days gone by. Riding for the brand has certainly gotten a lot tougher these days.
Dave
I believe it is rarely easy. It was one thing to work for a small rancher who ran cattle, but it wasn't long before the large corporations took over ... as in the movie Monte Walsh .. (the book is much better as the book only covers a few chapters in the book). It takes a lot of personal and moral courage to ride for the brand, and yes, it has gotten tougher.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by High Desert Hunter »

The book was far superior! I enjoyed all of Tom Selleck’s westerns, but the books are far better. I live in the Southwest in part because of books. I dislike the politics of New Mexico, but I love our small quirky where people still talk, and they disagree without being nasty. I dislike the rise of big corporations and the control they have of our planet, I also recognize that I am guilty of furthering their success because of my own laziness and love of a “bargain” that isn’t a bargain in the long run. I dearly love your emails.

Dave
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One Pharmacy Tech I had years ago was a tough lady. Her Daughter was married to a man who was in the process of getting into the Bandidos motorcycle club. He got abusive to his wife. She went to her Mother's house. He came and knocked on the door. The Mother opened it and shoved the barrel of a single shot 12 gauge into his nose and upper lip so hard that he had to go to the E.R. If he hadn't of fallen backwards, he would have lost about half of his head. The two with him started to get off their bikes. She reloaded and cocked the hammer. They stopped. Later that day, the head of that chapter came over and told her that her daughter was safe, and that she could go anywhere the Bandidos rode. He was impressed with a momma bear. She could have threatened or killed one or both of the two with that probationary member who was her son in law. She didn't. They reported to the club. She had their respect from then on. Not sure what the old man had done, but they seem to respect bravery and honesty.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jim, I really enjoyed the story. A few years ago my daughter in Yuma sent some old books about Arizona cowboys, one of them is Arizona Nights by Stewart Edward White. My book printed in 1907. To Captain W.H. Mckittrick of the J H
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15