Removing IAC 97's bead front sight?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Removing IAC 97's bead front sight?

Post by Naphtali »

I have an IAC (Norinco with a little quality control) Model 97 shotgun. I just acquired a heat shield with bayonet fixture from Numrich. Apparently I zigged when I should. My purchase is newly manufactured. It appears to be sturdy, so as "bling," it becomes a worthwhile purchase.

Okay, to my first problem. I'm nearly certain more problems will be discovered during affixing device to gun barrel despite its apparent simplicity. How do I remove IAC's bead front sight?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Removing IAC 97's bead front sight?

Post by GunnyMack »

Is it just a bead in the barrel or some type of ramp?
Beads are usually threaded or pressed in. If it's a ramp it could be soldered on or integral...

Just grab it with pliers and turn it out
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If possible, post a picture. As far as I know most bead sights on shotguns are just a little threaded screw with a spherical head, so should turn out reasonably easily.

Positive you're not going to need the bead sight, you could consider carefully filing it off so you don't leave a hole in case the hole goes clear through the barrel because I've seen them do that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If the bead's screwed in (which it most likely is), be aware that it may be staked in place, in which case you would be better off by drilling it out to a clightly larger size & tapping the new hole for whatever front sight's needed/wanted.