Different trigger assemblies USRA 1886 and Browning 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Different trigger assemblies USRA 1886 and Browning 71

Post by Naphtali »

US Repeating Arms' M1886 incorporates a tang safety and a rebounding hammer while Browning's M71 has neither (or a completely different form of rebounding trigger). Is it possible, during a caliber conversion, to have either Browning's trigger assembly replace only the rebounding hammer assembly, or to replace Browning's trigger assembly with only USRA's rebounding trigger assembly? I am unconcerned about futzing with the tang safety -- just leave it in FIRE position and forget it.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Naphtali,

The Browning M71 and 1886 are earlier production rifles. Now long out of productioin.

The USRA are current or at least recent versions.

Both are made by Miroku in Japan. The parts for the older versions will with some latitude for fitting work in the newer guns.

The problem is finding the older parts. Also you have to deal with the safety button hole in the tang.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

J Miller wrote:Naphtali,

The Browning M71 and 1886 are earlier production rifles. Now long out of productioin.

The USRA are current or at least recent versions.

Both are made by Miroku in Japan. The parts for the older versions will with some latitude for fitting work in the newer guns.

The problem is finding the older parts. Also you have to deal with the safety button hole in the tang.

Joe
Ooops! I will be picking up both rifles Friday. I just realized I do not know, for sure, whether the M1886 is a Miroku Winchester or a Miroku USRA. It is at least ten years old. This doesn't help much.

Result wanted is to have both rifles have as many parts in common as possible, to have both mechanisms function identically -- so rifle will not malfunction if I malfunction because of excitement.

Regarding the 1886's tang safety, were I able to have Browning M71 trigger assembly installed in the 1886, I would ask the safety slide be left in place -- albeit disconnected.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Naphtali,

The "Browning" guns will have the original half cock action.

The "USRA" guns will have the rebounding hammer and safety.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

J Miller wrote:Naphtali,

The "Browning" guns will have the original half cock action.

The "USRA" guns will have the rebounding hammer and safety.

Joe
Since the M1886 has a rebounding hammer, that's that. The Browning does not have this. Its additional safety feature is, I believe, a multiple-piece firing pin that relies on impact from full cock to fire, like the M1911 pistols?? Which brings me back to: Can either rifle accept the hammer-trigger assembly of the other -- that is, can the rebounding hammer-firing pin be installed in the Browning, or can the Browning's non-rebounding (but inertia) hammer be installed in the M1886 to achieve commonality of parts plus identical functioning?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The hammer and triggers will interchange. There have been several guys here do that. Why they haven't chimed in I don't know.

As for the firing pin assemblies, I don't know.

Joe