Accuracy and consistency of takedown rifles?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Accuracy and consistency of takedown rifles?

Post by Naphtali »

While I will not take advantage of this information for perhaps six-to-eight months, it's necessary information.

Comparing a fixed barrelled Winchester 71/1886 or a Marlin 1895 rifle with a takedown version of the same rifle:
1. What is the difference in accuracy I should expect -- that is, is a takedown rifle consistently less accurate than the same rifle as a fixed barrel? If it is, is the difference significant?

2. Does the first shot from a takedown rifle deviate significantly more from point of aim than a first shot from a fixed barrel rifle? Having been assembled at the hunting camp, will a takedown rifle need a shot or two to settle itself in?

3. Among gunmakers who offer takedown gunsmithing of these rifles, which have better reputations for takedown rifle consistency?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My takedown Win/Miroku 1886 and 1895 shoot fine, including first shot.
There was thread on this subject recently and you may be able to locate it with a search.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Further, it varies gun-to-gun (as do most things gunny).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
model55
Levergunner 3.0

take down

Post by model55 »

can not tell any difference with mine but think I was the only one who really felt the need to take it down ,put it together,take it down................
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

crs wrote:My takedown Win/Miroku 1886 and 1895 shoot fine, including first shot.
There was thread on this subject recently and you may be able to locate it with a search.
Thanks for the heads-up. I did a search on the term "takedown" and did not find what you mention. Help me out, here?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson