Anybody here converted an 1886 Browning to 50-110?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Anybody here converted an 1886 Browning to 50-110?

Post by SJPrice »

I was considering this project, but I was wondering if anyone here has gone that route and how did it turn out for you. Also what possessed you to have the conversion done in the first place.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Imadusty (Joey) had a Model 71 converted to 50-110 and it turned out nice. He killed a buffalo with me and it did a great job. Maybe he-ll chime in or you can try to contact him for more info.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I did it and LOVE it! Always thought a 50 caliber lever would be neat to have especially since there are not that many around. Mine is also on the Browning 1886 and sports a half round/half octagon barrel with half magazine. I sold the stock with cresent buttplate and replaced it with one that has a nice rubber pad. The idea of shooting a 50-110 with a steel cresent buttplate seemed like an insane thing to do.
Al
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Al »

kaschi wrote: The idea of shooting a 50-110 with a steel cresent buttplate seemed like an insane thing to do.
I left mine crescent, and when you take a 525gr pill over 2000fps, it test my insanity every time. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hmmm that sound really kewl but my 1886 wont feed a 45-70 with 535 gr round nose into the magazine. How do I correct that problem (which must be able to be corrected) if you can feed a 50-110 with a 500 grain pill - that must be longer. The round chambers fine but doesnt seem to make the "bend" while loading.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
Converted my Browning M71 to 50-110. Put a recoil pad on it, full mag tube, full octagonal barrel. I like it! Just wanted something different. Maximum cartridge length is 2.8". I can feed a 547gr bullet but the heavier the bullet is the less powder room I have.

rjohns check the COAL on your 45-70 to see if that is the problem. The feeding ramp was reworked to feed the 50-110, maybe yours needs some tinkering to feed the 535gr in your 45-70.

Hope that helps
Jonh
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I agree with Bronco. Plus when you have the feed ramp reworked and seat those bullets as deep as you can, you should have no trouble. Make sure to work the lever hard and brisk!!! Pussying it will be a sure jam session. Also, COAL is critical with these long dudes to even get them in the loading gate. Too long, and the bullets "belly out" against the mag tube. Dave Scovill wrote extensively about these issues in various issues of "RIFLE MAGAZINE". Research is your best friend(besides us here!). Good luck.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Some of you migrated to different stocks during the conversion. Is reinforcement of the butt stock desirable -- that is, using laminated (Serengeti) wood, or perhaps, some sort of butt stock through bolt assembly?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Who does these kind of conversions?
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Doug Turnbull converted mine and did an excellent job.