noise levels of light and heavy 357 loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

noise levels of light and heavy 357 loads

Post by mickbr »

pards, those of you who fire subsonics in your 357 levers with very light loads of powder, (say 3-5 grains of trailboss etc) can you give me an idea of the loudness?
This is not for myself as the shooter I wear plugs as much as possible, more from an observers viewpoint

I am assuming they are louder than 22LR, originally thinking maybe 22WMR level as 22 magnum is loaded with about 5-6 grains of factory powder. Some cowboy folks say more comparable to a ultra high velocity 22LR. I guess the type of noise if different without the supersonic crack. I have been trying to get to some cowboy shoots to have a listen but its a considerable journey for me.

I was also wondering whether heavy loads of 357 have less report than 30-30 and 223? My thoughts are the 357 would be easier on the ears than both of these...
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: noise levels of light and heavy 357 loads

Post by Griff »

Any of them have high enough decibels to cause damage. I keep a supply of those foam type ear plugs for any observers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

There's always a 'just get earplugs' reply on decibel threads. :)

I agree of course, but I'll clarify observers as in those who observe or experience the sound from the neighbouring farm for example.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

My first experience with a .357 rifle is my son's 77/357. For the most part, we've mostly worked at the top end, 158 and 180 gr over full cases of N110 (good load). These aren't exactly quiet but they are noticeably softer than a .223 AR. We'll get around to deeply seated lead bullets and wee charges of IMR Red or the like, but I have nothing for you as yet. Some .38 Spl handloads of 110 gr jacketed over a small charge of Solo 1000 are markedly quieter, but I worry about sticking a bullet.

The sound which hits your ear is largely determined by two measurements. When the bullet uncorks at the muzzle, the muzzle pressure in the barrel determines the peak of the sound pulse. How far from the muzzle to your ear affects how much this starting pulse lessens before it reaches your ear, falling off with the square of the distance.

To minimize noise, you start with as long a barrel as you can. Next, seat the bullet as deeply as you can. The smaller the volume behind the bullet, the greater the expansion ratio to uncorking. Lastly, select a small, high pressure charge. The smaller the charge, the less gas there is to make pressure at uncorking. A high peak pressure allows more energy to be extracted from the charge, which combined with a large expansion ratio makes for the lowest muzzle pressure.

How low might you go? I'm pretty sure one could develop a .357 load safe to fire with no hearing protection, but it wouldn't cycle through a lever action. The CCI Quiet .22 LR was reported to be under 70 dB. Take a 95 gr RN, seat it well below the case mouth (or start with .38 LC cases), and you should be able to mimic this. I've not tried it, but I've read a round ball and piddling charge will make just a "pop."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I will have to find my loadbook, but when living in Indiana I had a 'coon load to deal with the raccoons pestering our condo complex.

It was quiet enough to shoot indoors through an open window without hearing protection.

I used 158gr pure lead Keith SWCHP bullets and a tiny amount of powder under poly fill.

I'll post the load when I find it.

But it would roll a 'coon without anyone else in the complex noticing.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks folks! I will be going ahead with this calibre so will soon see for myself. Would be interested to see your load if you find it Old ironsights. I have used 357 in wheelguns but of course completely different kettle of fish.
Last edited by mickbr on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Double post
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mickbr wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:26 am Thanks folks! I will be going ahead with this calibre so will soon see for myself. Would be interested to see your load if you find it Old ironsights. I have used 357 in wheelguns but of course completely different kettle of fish.
Try 2gr of Titegroup. That's the load I can find right now...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

In 20-24" .357 barrels light loaded .38 Special loads (wadcutters) sound about like standard velocity .22's. Magnum loads are loud but nowhere near as load as 30-30 factory or .223 out of an AR.