The maize patch

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

The maize patch

Post by octagon »

Planted 30 acres of maize in preparations for upcoming dove season. I have had visions of dove falling from the sky, with my Boy and I doing our patented "dovedance' in celebration. Went to the ranch last week to do some chores and other business. When I pulled the truck up to the patch, I saw that it had burned up in the west Texas sun, having had no rain whatsoever in four months :shock: two of three tanks are bone dry. I felt a little better after walking into the patch, and peeing on it.
I have other options at 4-5 other farms in the area, but I love to hunt the sun up birds and have a nap at my camp before lunch. Better luck next year :|
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The maize patch

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, phooey. Sorry to see your effort went for naught.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Have you tried sunflowers? When I lived in CO they grew everywhere and seemed to do fine with very little water. The doves were really attracted to them.
Sure miss shooting doves, here in NJ they are considered a song bird!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Planted sunflowers a few years (5) in another field, still have some volunteers left. Farmer across from me plants about 50 acres of sunflowers every year. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hope you have permission to hunt those 50!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Of four neighbors I have there I've never met that one, from Houston I think. Rancher to east of me with a shared fence, has a big patch of dove weed by his tank. Dove weed only gets about 4-5 inches high, I rarely lose a bird there, and hunt his patch often. We occasionally share a wild game only thanksgiving. He is an ex Cajun, never any telling what he's going to serve . last time it was a huge pot of squirrel gumbo - my third bowl had a head with teeth in it :shock: :D :D :D :D . I bbq`d about 100 dove for that shared meal.