Loss of Glen Campbell

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Loss of Glen Campbell

Post by Bill in Oregon »

When the incredibly talented son of a sharecropper of Scottish blood met up with songwriter Jimmy Webb, magic happened. Rest in peace, Glen.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40861326
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Loss of Glen Campbell

Post by gamekeeper »

I loved his music and had the honor of shaking his hand at Night Club in Birmingham UK. May he RIP and his music live on
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I will always remember him as Texas Ranger Sgt. LaBeouf in the 1969 movie True Grit.

“Well a feller that carries a Big Bore Sharps carbine might come in handy……”

https://youtu.be/sswaLbi9NF8

https://youtu.be/a2WXuX8K2wg
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What Jimmy Webb had to say about Glen Campbell last night:

Well, that moment has come that we have known was an inevitable certainty and yet stings like a sudden catastrophe. Let the world note that a great American influence on pop music, the American Beatle, the secret link between so many artists and records that we can only marvel, has passed and cannot be replaced. He was bountiful. His was a world of gifts freely exchanged: Roger Miller stories, songs from the best writers, an old Merle Haggard record or a pocket knife.

He gave me a great wide lens through which to look at music. The cult of The Players? He was at the very center. He loved the Beach Boys and in subtle ways helped mold their sound. He loved Don and Phil (Everly), Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield, Flatt and Scruggs. This was the one great lesson that I learned from him as a kid: Musically speaking nothing is out of bounds. Of course, he lavished affection and gifts on his kids, family and friends. His love was a deep mercurial thing and once committed he was a tenacious friend as so many in Nashville and Phoenix, L.A. and New York, compadres all over the world would testify. One of his favorite songs was “Try A Little Kindness” in which he sings “shine your light on everyone you see.” My God. Did he do that or what? Just thinking back I believe suddenly that the “raison d’etre” for every Glen Campbell show was to bring every suffering soul within the sound of his voice up a peg or two. Leave ’em laughin’. Leave them feeling just a little tad better about themselves, even though he might have to make them cry a couple of times to get ’em there. What a majestically graceful and kind, top rate performer was Glen on his worst night!

When it came to friendship Glen was the real deal. He spoke my name from ten thousand stages. He was my big brother, my protector, my co-culprit, my John crying in the wilderness. Nobody liked a Jimmy Webb song as much as Glen! And yet he was generous with other writers: Larry Weiss, Allen Toussaint, John Hartford. You have to look hard for a bad song on a Glen Campbell album. He was giving people their money’s worth before it became fashionable.

I am full of grief. I am writing because I think you deserve some sort of message from me but I am too upset to write very well or at any great length. It’s like waking up in the morning in some Kafkaesque novella and finding that half of you is missing. Laura and I would call upon you to rest your sympathy with Kim Campbell and her children Cal, Shannon and Ashley; his older children Debby, Kelli, Travis, Kane, and Dillon; grandchildren, great- and great-great-grandchildren. Perhaps you could throw in a prayer for the Webb kids, Chris, Justin, Jamie, Corey, Charles and Camila who looked upon him as a kind of wondrous uncle who was a celebrated star and funnier than old dad.

This I can promise. While I can play a piano he will never be forgotten. And after that someone else will revel in his vast library of recordings and pass them on to how many future generations? Possibly to all of them.

Jimmy
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

A true talent with a great voice. I liked a lot of his songs but also disliked a lot of his songs that leaned towards the disco/pop styles but a true talent nonetheless. I was just watching Larry's Country Diner and his daughter and son was on there singing and it was neat to see them play/sing and talk about their father. She said he was doing as good as could be expected and would still sing around the house with as pretty a voice as he has ever had.

RIP Mr. Campbell.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Entertainer. What talent. :(
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As fine a guitar player that ever lived. He could really shred them licks....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PEf7yYCZE
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

One of the old guard and will be missed.

Very few folks knew how immensely talented he was.

You know he was a member of the 'wrecking crew'? He was asked to join the Beach Boys?

There's this guy, Vincent Furnier (you really know him as Alice Cooper), he did a very personal and very serious interview about losing Glenn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6q2hsdXenQ
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wec, thanks for posting that interview link. I had seen it before, but not caring for "Alice Cooper" I had ignored it, to my loss. What a fine and caring guy he is. He and Glen Campbell were fortunate to have each other as friends.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

He played guitar on the album release for Strangers In The Night and for Viva Las Vegas. He was a Beach Boy for the Pet Sounds album and tour. What an amazing talent. Like all of us, he had his trials. Maybe those trials are why he could reach out to everyone so well. RIP Mr. Campbell. You will be missed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I always liked the way he introduced himself as the "second best guitar player in Arkansas." Reserving best for his father.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Saw him up close at a local fair in an afternoon performance. He had a rack of guitars he changed to for different songs. Very relaxed performance.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wifie brought the album home the other day. Broke out the old record player. Ahhhh, vinyl music :D
IMG_7201.JPG
The old players needs a new stylus though. Anybody know where those can be had now?

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Great singer and guitar player. I believe he played guitar on all his albums, no studio musicians needed like most recording artists do.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I remember back in the early/mid 70s when he came to the Indiana County Fair in Indiana,PA. I grew up in that county and there is a small town called "Glen Campbell" (not named after the singer) about halfway between the towns of Indiana and Clearfield. When someone pointed out to Glen that such a place existed, he went to visit it. The rest I can't remember but that much I remember well.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

You all may find some irony in this, but my five year old loves Glen Campbell, specifically Rhinestone Cowboy and Wichita Lineman... Among other hits from the Beastie Boys, Ciara and a few other eclectic artists :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.