Go Navy!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Go Navy!

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dunno if this is true, but had to share anyway.

8)

LITTLE KNOWN TIDBIT OF NAVAL HISTORY

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides, even though she was made of oak), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers). However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men,

48,600 gallons of fresh water,
7,400 cannon shot,
11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum."
Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum. Then she headed for the Azores, arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine. On 18 November, she set sail for England.

In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war ships, and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799,
with no cannon shot,
no food,
no powder,
no rum,
no wine,
no whisky,
and 38,600 gallons of water.

GO NAVY!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Go Navy!

Post by Old No7 »

Living just 10 miles north of Boston when I was a kid, I lived and breather anything related to the old girl... And I visited her multiple times. (I need to go again too!)

Sadly... That story, is just that...

That's a myth, as written below by a history professor.

Old No7

"I've told my students, 'That’s probably where the expression ‘Sailing the High Seas' originated.

Not only is this full of errors, it is somewhat insulting to the real history of 'Old Ironsides'.

Here are just a few of the errors:

1) In 1799, the United States was war with France, not England. The British were actually our unofficial allies in the "Quasi-War" with the French Republic.

2) The United States Navy moved away from using Jamaican rum as part of the grog ration and moved towards more home grown spirits such as Kentucky whisky. Captains also had a strict policy against public intoxication. A sailor found less than sober was often subject to flogging.

3) Speaking of Jamaica, the colony was a major British naval station. Why would it outfit an American warship during an alleged war with the British?

4) USS Constitution defeated four British warships (Java, Guerriere, Levant, and Cyane)... in the War of 1812.

5) Having said that, the Constitution never raided the home isles. However, the brig USS Argus did (see the book 'Fatal Cruise of the Argus').

6) When a warship captured a merchant ship, the alcohol supply was the last thing on the captain's mind. Instead, he was looking for goods he could sell when the cruise was over."
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:53 pm Living just 10 miles north of Boston when I was a kid, I lived and breather anything related to the old girl... And I visited her multiple times. (I need to go again too!)

Sadly... That story, is just that...

That's a myth, as written below by a history professor.

Old No7

"I've told my students, 'That’s probably where the expression ‘Sailing the High Seas' originated.

Not only is this full of errors, it is somewhat insulting to the real history of 'Old Ironsides'.

Here are just a few of the errors:

1) In 1799, the United States was war with France, not England. The British were actually our unofficial allies in the "Quasi-War" with the French Republic.

2) The United States Navy moved away from using Jamaican rum as part of the grog ration and moved towards more home grown spirits such as Kentucky whisky. Captains also had a strict policy against public intoxication. A sailor found less than sober was often subject to flogging.

3) Speaking of Jamaica, the colony was a major British naval station. Why would it outfit an American warship during an alleged war with the British?

4) USS Constitution defeated four British warships (Java, Guerriere, Levant, and Cyane)... in the War of 1812.

5) Having said that, the Constitution never raided the home isles. However, the brig USS Argus did (see the book 'Fatal Cruise of the Argus').

6) When a warship captured a merchant ship, the alcohol supply was the last thing on the captain's mind. Instead, he was looking for goods he could sell when the cruise was over."
Nothing like a few silly facts to ruin a perfectly good story. :roll: :lol:

The Marines: Because The Navy needed someone to dance with.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

An army marches on it's stomach. A navy fights with it's liver.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad