Keeping your cool on the motorcycle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Keeping your cool on the motorcycle

Post by earlmck »

Blaine's post about giving up the last motorcycle brought me to recall a video I got steered to this morning by an old bikin' buddy. Those of you who relate to the subject will appreciate this video -- I am going to nominate this fellow to be an "Honorary Levergunner" for the way he kept his cool after the violent reaction the motorist had to being told to "quit squeezin' the biker". https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=abd_1498153512

I like to think I'd have handled the situation in the same cool manner but I'm afraid my reactions have slowed so much I'd have just joined the rest of the roadkill pile somewhere there rather than threading my way through and keepin' on keepin' on...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Keeping your cool on the motorcycle

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, but he shouldn't have escalated by kicking the guys car in the first place.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Yup. God protects the fools, at times.

The other car entered a Carpool (and motorcycles allowed) lane illegally, crossing over the clearly marked double lines, apparently in front of the motorcyclist.

So, instead of braking and letting that idiot driver go, the genius on the 900 lb. (or less) bike decided to kick against a moving 2,000 lb. (approx) car to show him who is boss of the lane.

Then he fled the scene of the accident he caused, possibly some fatalities.

They were probably both headed to San Francisco to work for Pelosi.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

The guy on the bike is a butt hole, makes a bad name for biker. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

earlmck wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 pm...for the way he kept his cool...
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you, Earl.

The guy was at the root of causing a major accident... and it wasn't because "...he kept his cool... ".

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Unfortunately, a Dallas area cyclist recently paid with his life for aggravating the wrong auto driver. Yes, the car driver was wrong for driving into the cyclist and he will go to prison for killing him. He might have gotten away with it but for a cell phone video showing he intentionally drove into the motor cyclist. Road rage can be deadly.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Some states don't allow splitting of lanes by bikes. California allowed it only because there was no law against it. We recently put into place a law allowing it. But, it has not improved the attitude or habits of many riders.

The riders regularly cross over the double yellow into and out of the carpool lane. They cut in and out of traffic with the bare minimum needed to avoid being squashed by several thousand pounds of rubber, steel and plastic. I have seen cases where a driver would not yield to a biker illegally entering the carpool lane. The biker then flips off the driver, or as I saw in one case kick the side of the car causing damage. Oh, by the way, I gave the car driver the bike riders license plate. I sure hope he called the CHP.

There is never an excuse for intentionally insulting someone, or damaging their vehicle for what is usually an unintentional act. The roads can be crowded, bikes are harder to see. Stuff happens. Back when I rode on the street regularly I learned very early on that it is in the best interest of the bike rider to make darned sure vehicle drivers see you. A person on a bike will never win a confrontation with a sedan, much less a pickup or semi.

Sadly, many bikers are killed or maimed every year, and most of the time the biker could have avoided it by riding smart. While it may irritate a biker to yield the right of way, or go out of their way to avoid accidents, failure to do so may result in an irreversible condition known a death. Being first in line, or getting somewhere a couple of minutes early isn't worth the potential, possibly fatal, results.

Now if the riders on the forum want to flame me go ahead. But continue to ride in the manner I've mention will eventually catch up with you. Just let us know where to send the flowers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Very interesting to "see through other people's eyes" on things. Here I saw a biker who had a car driver first try to kill him by crossing a yellow line right into him from verrry verrry close to the bike's blind spot, then threaten to squeeze him into the guard wall. I thought the biker showed remarkable restraint by just giving the car a little kick. Then I of course just loved that the biker threaded his way through all the flying debris after the car driver tried very actively to kill him. You fellows may be right that he is an irresponsible rectum cavity, but this old biker would buy the guy a beer. Heck, make that a pitcher.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:55 pm
Now if the riders on the forum want to flame me go ahead. But continue to ride in the manner I've mention will eventually catch up with you. Just let us know where to send the flowers.
I've ridden motorcycles many and many a mile.
If riding one doesn't teach you how to be defensive instead of offensive.....you're a special kind of stupid. Even with DOT helmets and leather, you are going to lose the battle with a 2-ton automobile.
And no matter how careful you ride, eventually some idiot is going to get the best of you.
I sold my last motorcycle and traded it in for this and actually feel like I accomplish something every time I ride
2014-07-03_13-37-57_781.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

After watching the video again is that a bike lane the biker is in?
The car driver didn`t show any respect for the bike rider but the bike rider should of just hit the brakes or throttled off instead of making a bad situation worse.
As a biker that has traveled many miles and had similar things happen it is a bad thing that shouldn`t of happened.
Had a bunch of high class dudes pull out in front of me once, I pulled up in front of them and made them stop then I walked back and tore the mirror off there suv, dumb move but I felt better.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:23 pm After watching the video again is that a bike lane the biker is in?
The car driver didn`t show any respect for the bike rider but the bike rider should of just hit the brakes or throttled off instead of making a bad situation worse.
As a biker that has traveled many miles and had similar things happen it is a bad thing that shouldn`t of happened.
Had a bunch of high class dudes pull out in front of me once, I pulled up in front of them and made them stop then I walked back and tore the mirror off there suv, dumb move but I felt better.
:twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Watching that video, you can tell there is a LOT more to the story....otherwise, why were they filming it and zoomed right in on the action? Probably a feud that had been going on for miles. So, no telling who the real butthole is. Probably both.
Last edited by vancelw on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have no idea who started it, but I think the bike and car are both to blame for the way it ended! Total BS for either to do what they did, and drag innocent motorists into their road rage.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have seen people act really stupid just because they want to go slow and want everyone else to do the same. I have seen people act stupid because they have a fast vehicle.
I have learned to expect stupid behavior from most drivers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Don't forget about the "invisible" motorcycle.

Many people look right at a bike, and the man on it, and then drive right into them, totally believing that they never saw the bike and rider. I guess it's a risk priority thing; the big cars win and the little two wheeler loses.

How about this:
The driver (breaking the law, anyway) crossed over the double line of that carpool / motorcycle lane (that is what it is, since it is the centermost lane with a solid double line) and never saw the bike. He's clearly at fault because he violated a traffic law, and unfortunately at fault for not focusing on the bike being there.

The rider, apparently experienced and skillful as evidenced by his gymcana tactics at the end, was at fault for not backing off and making more space. At least in California, that is on the motorcycle driver's certification test - to allow more space between you and traffic when there is danger, not try to speed up and pass. In fact, I just took my 70+ year old mandatory California Driver's License written recertification test and the optional motorcycle certification renewal written test. The motorcycle quiz had a similar scenario - "Do you speed up to get around the hazard?" "Do you observe carefully, decrease your speed and allow more distance?" Not rocket science.

Instead of driving sensibly, the guy was a hot head, so he stupidly kicked the car. That would NOT have caused the car to swerve. I am pretty sure that the car then swerved because he had not even noticed the bike and then he panic swerved when he heard the thump on the door, which then cause some serious chain reactions.

So the driver broke the law by entering a restricted lane illegally.
The Neanderthal biker is, as I would sometimes observe in a previous profession, guilty of being "Felony Stupid," which got people hurt (or killed?). Then there are fines and possibly jail or prison time for leaving the scene of an accident if there are injuries; he clearly saw the explosion of the front wheel of the car and swerving as he passed him.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

About 50 years ago I put a bike like this in a drainage ditch through where these trees are now. Thought heading out there was better than drifting into the fire hydrant, telephone pole, guard rail group. Fortunately, I was uninjured but ... the bike ended up underwater.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Easy to see that some of the posts on this thread are from non-bikers. I saw a car side-swiping a bike, on purpose or not, he was squeezing the biker (BTDT. Motorcycle riding on fwys in LA is a dangerous undertaking in itself) After the "push-off" by the biker the car's driver attempted to kill the biker. He got what he deserved. I've ridden and driven on So. CA. freeways all my life and have seen this reaction to motorcycles before. I've had people cut me off on purpose when "splitting lanes" (never more than 5-8 MPH faster than stopped traffic) because they didn't like me getting out of slow/stopped traffic jams ahead of them. Some drivers in LA turn into complete selfish, self centered, crazy idiots that endanger everyone else on the fwy...

(Drove the Harbor Fwy into downtown LA daily 4:30 Am, and back to San Pedro at 3:30 PM for 20 years. Drove the San Diego FWY into the "valley" from S.P. daily for 5 years 4:30 and return 3:30. Lost 2 cars and 2 motorcycles, one each to illegals w/no insurance)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

mikld wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 am I saw a car side-swiping a bike, on purpose or not, he was squeezing the biker (BTDT. Motorcycle riding on fwys in LA is a dangerous undertaking in itself)...
The second half of your comment says it all. You know, being a freeway rider, that once you are on that bike, your whole world changes; you learn quickly to assume the old biker's adage: "Everyone is trying to kill you." Nobody has to teach you to watch everything around you, if you have survived a couple of weeks or less on the motorcycle. Judging by the way that guy could negotiate his machine, he was no novice.

Look again, carefully. Camera perspective does not help; but the bike was just behind the car as it entered his lane illegally - he was in the blind spot. And unless he's a biker with a white tipped cane, he could have and should have backed off. No, he's a hothead jerk on two wheels who kicked the dummy's car and caused him to react by swerving. I would have arrested him (if he had been caught after attending to the emergency scene) and cited the dumb driver.

In fact, that is the way that the California Highway Patrol sees it. I just researched this, and the CHP is still looking for the Harley rider who caused the collision. See:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/23/s ... -on-video/

And had I been in one of the other cars victimized, I would have sued the rider, his family, and his dog for damages and pain and suffering, and asked the court to order that his motorcycle certification be rescinded. Like many Californians who use the freeways, I'm sick of these freaks who endanger others with their moronic road rage problems. As far as that pitcher of beer, better that the biker drowns in it.

And, yes - I have almost been run over a few times on my Honda 750. Once at a Fresno intersection, even though I had my headlight on, was proceeding from a stop at low speed, by a little old lady who looked right at me and then forced me to the curb as she turned into me from the opposing side. She was all apologetic and insisted that she never saw me. Bikes are frequently invisible, and certainly when they are in a blind spot with their small footprint. Mikld - you, as a rider, know that.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

JohndeFresno wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:57 am Don't forget about the "invisible" motorcycle.

Many people look right at a bike, and the man on it, and then drive right into them, totally believing that they never saw the bike and rider. I guess it's a risk priority thing; the big cars win and the little two wheeler loses.

How about this:
The driver (breaking the law, anyway) crossed over the double line of that carpool / motorcycle lane (that is what it is, since it is the centermost lane with a solid double line) and never saw the bike. He's clearly at fault because he violated a traffic law, and unfortunately at fault for not focusing on the bike being there.

The rider, apparently experienced and skillful as evidenced by his gymcana tactics at the end, was at fault for not backing off and making more space. At least in California, that is on the motorcycle driver's certification test - to allow more space between you and traffic when there is danger, not try to speed up and pass. In fact, I just took my 70+ year old mandatory California Driver's License written recertification test and the optional motorcycle certification renewal written test. The motorcycle quiz had a similar scenario - "Do you speed up to get around the hazard?" "Do you observe carefully, decrease your speed and allow more distance?" Not rocket science.

Instead of driving sensibly, the guy was a hot head, so he stupidly kicked the car. That would NOT have caused the car to swerve. I am pretty sure that the car then swerved because he had not even noticed the bike and then he panic swerved when he heard the thump on the door, which then cause some serious chain reactions.

So the driver broke the law by entering a restricted lane illegally.
The Neanderthal biker is, as I would sometimes observe in a previous profession, guilty of being "Felony Stupid," which got people hurt (or killed?). Then there are fines and possibly jail or prison time for leaving the scene of an accident if there are injuries; he clearly saw the explosion of the front wheel of the car and swerving as he passed him.
I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment...except for the fact that the video starts right before the kick, and was zoomed right in on the action. Makes me think a "battle" was brewing beforehand. Unless the videographer just had an instinct that something was about to happen and he was just that quick on the trigger. I know it would have all been over before I got my phone unlocked and the video started.
JohndeFresno wrote: Look again, carefully. Camera perspective does not help; but the bike was just behind the car as it entered his lane illegally - he was in the blind spot. And unless he's a biker with a white tipped cane, he could have and should have backed off. No, he's a hothead jerk on two wheels who kicked the dummy's car and caused him to react by swerving. I would have arrested him (if he had been caught after attending to the emergency scene) and cited the dumb driver.
He WAS in the blind spot...then he sped up to get beside the car and kick it.
I understand getting mad at idiots sometimes, but you just have to "adult" and simmer down. I've ridden many and many a mile...doesn't make me automatically take the bikers side. Two idiots surely collided there. If the occupants of that Escalade (Avalanche, whatever) walked over there and beat that car driver and motorcycle rider silly, I would be the best person to have on their jury.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Good point about putting the camera into motion, indicating something was already happening. Clearly it was not a static mount traffic camera that folks are now buying, as evidenced by its zooming and panning the scene.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Being a jerk on the motorcycle and in the car

Post by vancelw »

Thanks for that link, John. Not sure where this guy in the comments got all his info, but several accounts suggest he is on the right track.
Locals posted and also say that carpool lane is only restricted after 6am and this occurred at 5:45 am, so the car was allowed into the far left lane at that time. Probably what happened is the car driver and/or motorcycle rider decided to play "Enforcer" as one or the other of them thought the other had no right to be in that lane.
GuestZ000 wrote: 1. The original video is at YOUTUBE watch?v=dlP9AH6gz8Y -
2. The person who videotaped this was a passenger of another car. His co-worker was driving that car.
3. The video guy's car was on the fast lane.
4. The motorcycle passed the video guy's car to the left of the car between the double yellow line and the video guy's car. In other words, the motorcycle and the video guy's car were in the same fast lane.
5. As the motorcycle was careening in the front using the fast lane, the Nissan car which was in the carpool lane started veering to the right to exit the carpool lane and change lanes into the fast lane.
6. The Nissan car did not see the speeding motorcycle and bumped it, so the motorcycle almost fell but regained control.
7. The motorcycle was at the passenger side of the Nissan yelling at the Nissan to not cross the double yellow line into the fast lane.
8. The motorcycle guy kicked the PASSENGER side of the Nissan so the Nissan was being forced to go back to the carpool lane.
9. As soon as the motorcycle kicked the passenger side of the Nissan, the video guy who was the passenger of another car took out his video camera.
10. The motorcycle veered to the back of the Nissan then went around to the driver side of the Nissan kicking the driver door.
11. The video guy who was the passenger of another car started filming.
12. The motorcycle issued his last kick on the driver side and the Nissan car lost control of the car.
13. You can see at 0:07 of the video that the Nissan had extensive damage on the driver door from the kicks of the motorcycle guy.
14. In that last kick, the Nissan driver totally lost control of his car. The Nissan hit the central divider, the front part of the car was on fire, then the car careened back into the freeway to hit the truck and the truck overturned. The Nissan car was all over after that last kick.
15. The motorcycle guy already saw that his last kick to the car caused the Nissan car to lose control and cause the truck to overturn when the Nissan hit the truck.
16. The motorcycle guy saw the wreck and made a decision NOT TO STOP knowing that he caused the wreck.
17. The motorcycle guy did not stop to check if everyone in the wreck was okay.
18. The motorcycle guy fled the scene and the police is still looking for him.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

In what sense did the dimwitted biker thug "keep his cool?" He caused two accidents resulting in major damage to least two vehicles and very possibly caused serious bodily harm to several innocent people, perhaps including small children. He should be put in stony lonesome for a long time, and I hope he is. The driver of car #1 should get a big fine for driving without due caution, but I see no conclusive evidence of intent on his part.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Wow. What a divisive thread. I am/was an experienced motorcycle rider and familiar with the freeway in the video. I cannot see anywhere that he rider was in fault ("his kick caused the car to lose control". joking, right?). I've had many, many close calls and 90%+ are caused by mototist. Yes, the rider may have been able to avoid an illegal lane change but the attempt to kill him resulted in the driver losing control and getting his just deserts...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

What amazes me is how many people (on this thread and others) read into it what they see from their own bias, with no effort to find out more before forming an opinion.
Regardless of what happened in the end, the witnesses say the biker kicked the PASSENGER side of the car before the video ever came on.
So, he is at least guilty of being a blooming idiot and not removing himself from a situation.
I wonder if he would have kicked an 18-wheeler. Or a car full of grown men instead of a small car with a single driver (unknown sex, age).

If someone accidentally steps on my toe, I am not justified in knocking them out. If they continue to intentionally step on my toe, I can defend myself.
If someone accidentally steps on my toe and I retaliate, now I am at fault.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Come on, mikld...
I am a former motorcyclist, too.

I am also a car driver with a disabled wife with her heart condition who has suffered anxiety more than once when I have had to veer or slam on my brakes due to increasingly irresponsible and brain dead drivers.

How can you possibly justify the actions of ANY person - car operator, biker, or 18 wheeler who endangers others and then flees??

He should be boiled in oil.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

two idiots

Post by vancelw »

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/06/ ... road-rage/

the truth is somewhere in between....
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Reading and seeing these few reports, IMO, the road-rage aggression, the accident.. It's all the guy riding the bike. Brandishing a weapon at the kid was uncalled for.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Been down through there more than 1000 times. There is a lot of lane changing that goes on and a park and ride at the bottom of the hill. An estimated 70,000 - 80,000 commuters come through there in the morning to LA the I-5 north and south is just ahead. Traffic often 80 mph. You have to watch it. In the clip it appears that though the traffic is not that heavy the car is entering the HOV lane or has crowding the bike. Frame by frame it appears the bike rider retaliates by kicking the car. The car reacts either aggressively or just startled. The bike initiated the contact when he could have avoided it. The car was certainly then at fault too. And the biker left the scene. Lane splitting is legal here. Motorcycles tend to be aggressive in their driving often appearing where you would not expect them. Biker was lucky he wasn't killed.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Wow! maybe I mis-titled my post? It appears there was a lot that went on before the video starts and that both parties were quite steamed by that time and nobody had any "cool" left to keep. The video we see (if we watch the original and not the news-edited version) is not the car driver's first and inadvertant attempt to kill a biker who was not expecting it, but his second attempt at getting a biker and both drivers had to be extremely aware of each other. And the car driver's final reaction which put him out of control was a very strong attempt to kill the biker. The driver was not "startled" into overcorrecting -- he was actively trying to "get" the biker by that time.

Yeah, the biker was way over-aggressive to begin with, and was probably riding a Harley and so didn't have the acceleration needed to get on out of the situation. My old Honda would have jumped to 110 for a few seconds to leave the killer car behind. (Cars generally brake to get out of trouble; bikes need to accelerate to get out of trouble).

Also I was interested to see that the "news" reports edited out a couple of seconds at the beginning of the video so it looks like a poor unsuspecting car driver was attacked by a biker. Fascinating how much you can shift a narrative by such a slight bit of editing....
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

earlmck wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:08 am
Also I was interested to see that the "news" reports edited out a couple of seconds at the beginning of the video so it looks like a poor unsuspecting car driver was attacked by a biker. Fascinating how much you can shift a narrative by such a slight bit of editing....
I've always said I could show 15 seconds of video of Christ's life and make Him out to be a heel.
Imagine if the clip started about the time he was turning over tables and chasing people out of the temple....
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

They had an incident last Friday night on 95 in or close to Richmond VA . Guy in an SUV darted on 95 in front of a guy with passenger on 95 . The guy on the bike took evasive action but lost control and laid it down . It threw the female passenger who would've just had road rash and some broken bones . However another SUV said to be fifty to 100 yards behind took no evasive action and ran over the woman killing her and never stopped ! Hit killed and run ! Now that's a real piece of work 😡
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

mikld wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 am Easy to see that some of the posts on this thread are from non-bikers. I saw a car side-swiping a bike, on purpose or not, he was squeezing the biker (BTDT. Motorcycle riding on fwys in LA is a dangerous undertaking in itself) After the "push-off" by the biker the car's driver attempted to kill the biker. He got what he deserved. I've ridden and driven on So. CA. freeways all my life and have seen this reaction to motorcycles before. I've had people cut me off on purpose when "splitting lanes" (never more than 5-8 MPH faster than stopped traffic) because they didn't like me getting out of slow/stopped traffic jams ahead of them. Some drivers in LA turn into complete selfish, self centered, crazy idiots that endanger everyone else on the fwy...

(Drove the Harbor Fwy into downtown LA daily 4:30 Am, and back to San Pedro at 3:30 PM for 20 years. Drove the San Diego FWY into the "valley" from S.P. daily for 5 years 4:30 and return 3:30. Lost 2 cars and 2 motorcycles, one each to illegals w/no insurance)
Pedro? I didn't know you had lived in Pedro. So how did you adapt to the Oregon weather after living here?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

mikld, "push off" that is rich.

Earl, where did you see a longer version?

There is a lot of aggressive driving that goes on on 14 to LA and it does not matter what they are driving.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Savage, there are stupid drivers everywhere.
D. Brian Casady
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:24 pm mikld, "push off" that is rich.

Earl, where did you see a longer version?

There is a lot of aggressive driving that goes on on 14 to LA and it does not matter what they are driving.
The raw (unedited) video is on Youtube. Follow the links posted above
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:24 pm Earl, where did you see a longer version?
The video I linked in the initial post #1 is as long as I have seen. The news video JohndeFresno links in post #18 shows a version where that couple of seconds were cut out that showed the car crossing the yellow line and crowding the biker. Then I saw vancelw's post #21 where he quotes somebody who apparently knows more of what went on before the video camera got going and would indicate there was quite a lot that went on that prompted the camera to be turned on. Thus my observation that rather than being cool, the biker had hung around to participate in a road rage incident when he should have just goosed her on out of the area.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have seen that version repeatedly. It shows the Nissan riding in the HOV lane with the motorcycle closing to kick the door with an immediate reaction by the driver of the car.

The motorcycle appeared to be slightly behind the car. He should have disengaged and backed off.

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

A plain case of Tweedle-dumb meets Tweedle-dumber.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

mikld wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:15 pm Wow. What a divisive thread. I am/was an experienced motorcycle rider and familiar with the freeway in the video. I cannot see anywhere that he rider was in fault ("his kick caused the car to lose control". joking, right?). I've had many, many close calls and 90%+ are caused by mototist. Yes, the rider may have been able to avoid an illegal lane change but the attempt to kill him resulted in the driver losing control and getting his just deserts...

I'm amazed that you can watch that video and can't see anywhere the biker did anything wrong? As a guy whose ridden bikes for over 50 years, I can't see where he did ANYTHING right!!
The motorcyclist was aggressive, and made many mistakes! As a motorcycle rider, I know I have certain rights on the road. But I also know I always give up those rights in order to be safe. It's an old saying, but guys who ride for decades safely always say, "Do you want to be right, or dead right?"
I'll always give my right of way up if it means staying safe. The biker could easily have backed off, and would have been nothing more than irritated. But he chose to be the aggressor and attack a 4,000 lb. automobile with his boot. The result cost other people their right to a safe roadway, and the biker went off unscathed. He should be found and arrested for road rage, and forced to pay for every vehicle damaged in the resulting collisions. He also should have his motorcycle endorsement revoked until he takes anger management, and riding classes.
And if you can't see anything he did wrong, I hope you don't ride around my area.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

something other than "defensive driving & personal survival" on the mind of that motorcyclist .....
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Ride a new Indian Chief Dark Horse every chance I get.

You have to be very aware, have had a few close calls. I really hate tail gaters, especially on the bike. If anything happens I don't have a chance.

Learned to be very calm, can't give into emotions. Let the idiot cut you off and slow down. If they turn in front of you and you both drive away it is over. So many videos of people not letting it go and escalating.

You never have to see the other drive again, drive away and enjoy the ride.

Don
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I rode for over 40 years before uncontrolled vertigo forced me off bikes forever, and (luckily) never went down.

That said, since I ALWAYS rode behind one of the 4-wheeler's taillights ILO the middle, I was able to narrowly miss devastation more than once.

Even with that experience, I lost my cool once, when my wife & I were almost home, exiting a freeway.

We were at the extreme right of the low-speed lane, turn signal "on" prior to entering the freeway off ramp, when a guy PASSED us on the right (in the breakdown lane), moving at a much higher speed !

The side of his car missed hitting our RH foot pegs by only a very few inches (6" or less) - which infuriated me.

In a rage, I followed him down the exit ramp I was taking anyway, where I caught up with him @ a stoplight.

While I was off the bike, raging at him while he was stopped by traffic (he wouldn't look at me), a traffic LEO who happened to be a few cars back, lit up his squad car, walked up to us & asked me what was going on.

When I told him, he asked the motorist his version, which was that he didn't see us.......................

Right after that statement, the LEO told me to take off, that he'd "handle it".

I did, and so don't know if the guy got a citation, or (most likely) a verbal warning.

As I mentioned earlier - my wife & I were lucky.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

My take on all of this:
I did not have the opportunity to ride a bike for 20 years or more as I would have liked - a long story. But I have ridden on winding mountain roads around Yosemite, busy freeways in heavy wind and some rain, moderately heavy morning and evening commuter traffic to and work for about 2 years, and in busy downtown traffic. Once, right next to my place of business as I was returning home, a little old lady nearly ran me over at an intersection because she looked straight at me but "didn't see me."

I listened to the advice of an experienced rider early on - "Dress for the crash" and "Assume that everybody is trying to kill you." Very, very good advice, because I quickly learned:
1) Some people just hate bikes and riders/bikers. I separate the two based on various criteria, but many don't. Having worked Bass Lake, California for a few years during the Hells Angels summer invasions, I generally don't like or respect "bikers" and their nihilistic, anti-social attitude; but don't harbor those feelings for "motorcyclists." Unfortunately, several motorists see all riders as "bikers" looking for trouble, and consider the motorcycle as a buzzy in and out nuisance interfering with their safe travel. The people with this attitude are themselves a menace, and don't mind cutting you off. And apparently they are too stupid to realize that their actions can easily kill you - while a small handful actually don't care if they do. That is SOME people; but you don't know which ones!

2) Blind spot Blind spot Blind spot - you are a very small footprint and frequently quite invisible. That's why we are told to drive with lights on, light clothing, and stay away from blind spots behind a vehicle - per various advisories from the AAA and also per the latest California DMV Motorcycle Operator pamphlet and one or two test questions for the license. I just took such a test. Here, you have to re-test for a license renewal on the first year your license expires past the age of 70, and to keep your motorcycle certification you have to pass a second test as well.

3) Threat factor - older, impaired, intoxicated and Lalaland drivers work under subconscious "Threat Assessment" and are busy avoiding bigger cars and trucks and (it has been clinically proven) sometimes dismiss you while their overtaxed little brain is sorting out the other traffic. Like that little old lady who turned into me at a stoplight while looking directly at me, then almost ran over me at under 10 mph (light change) at a controlled intersection, saw me semi-crash into the curb, and then told me that she never saw me.

4) Because of the above three, it became apparent to me that the only sensible response to any threat is to slow down if traffic allows and back off (one of the "correct" answers to a question on the DMV test that I took, in fact) or pull over if possible and let traffic pass or otherwise avoid the situation and get on with the ride.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't care what wheels you are operating or where, there idiots among us who are operating motor vehicles. Some of them are so self obsessed that they can look straight at you and never see you. Others are too tired or too distracted to be safely operating a bottle of water, much less something with enough horsepower to kill them and you. My Dad has always preached to me and my family to anticipate that everyone else on the road is actively trying to crash into you. He has had 2 minor accidents in the last 60 years. One was in a parking lot where the other vehicle had burned out tail lights and reverse lights. The other was while waiting for a left turn in the turn lane when some idiot decided to pass everyone by using the turn lane. There ARE IDIOTS EVERYWHERE!!!!
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In over 50 years of riding motorcycles I only lost my cool once, but even then didn't threaten or attack anyone. I was always looking for the other person to do something wrong, or take away my right of way. I told young riders that it doesn't matter if you're in the right if you're dead right.
I was out on a ride in the country and came around a curve to see a Great Dane on one side of the two lane road, and a woman on the other side. I immediately began to slow down, as dogs are more unpredictable than people! Just as I got close, and figured I was OK, the woman called her dog! It ran right in front of me, and I hit the brakes and swerved. I have no idea how I missed the dog, but after I got past I pulled over to the side. I shut the bike off and put the kickstand down. Took my helmet off and walked back to where the woman was standing. I asked her what in the heck went through her mind to call her dog out in front of me?
She told me she was afraid for her dog, and wanted it to be with her, where she could get hold of his collar. Without mincing any words, I told her that was one of the stupidest things I'd ever seen anyone do, and that she nearly caused both her dog and me physical harm.
Walked back to my motorcycle and rode away shaking my head. Some people shouldn't have pets; especially when the pets are smarter than their owner.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

SUPER!

If indeed, after a fair trial, he is proven to be the culprit....
Get a rope!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Funny how different folks see the same thing and interpret it 180 degrees differently. If the guy gets just one person on the jury who sees that video the way I see it they won't be able to convict him of even a speeding ticket. The driver of the car, however.... he'd be in trouble.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Again, Earl,you have to remember. The video only tells part of the story. There were eye witnesses that saw what happened before they started recording.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

And if there's only one person who agrees with the motorcyclist, the guy will still be found guilty. It's not a murder case, so it doesn't take a full quorum of the jury to convict. He better hope it's a lot more than one who's on his side! As a long time motorcyclist, I can watch the video a thousand times and never see where the motorcyclist did anything right. If he was right, then why not stick around after the fact? He left because he knew he'd screwed up bad.