Did the guy with the 94....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Did the guy with the 94....

Post by Nath »

..get anywhere with my suggestion?
I remember someone having flyers from a w94 and my asking him to check if at lock up there was pressure on the lever.
I suggested relieving the lever eye in the bolt which I believe he did.
Did he come back with any results?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Did the guy with the 94....

Post by OldWin »

Sorry to jump in Nath.

Thanks for the idea. I'm pretty sure I have a 94 carbine that could benefit from this mod.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

No need to apologize.

I really want this to become recognised as an improvement to the later Winchester m94's.
I certainly wish I could compare a pre 1900 model to post 64 examples.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Are you talking about on the lever or the bolt?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nath wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 4:31 am No need to apologize.

I really want this to become recognised as an improvement to the later Winchester m94's.
I certainly wish I could compare a pre 1900 model to post 64 examples.

N.
I have a bunch of 94's, from Ser #33xx to the one in question (1960). The vast majority of mine are pre war and none of them have the issue with the forward lever travel. Only the post war one. It was my first Winchester, my dad bought it for me when I was 12. I shot my first deer with it but haven't used it a lot since I started buying my own guns. I'd like to get it tuned up a bit a use it.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BenT wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 6:30 am Are you talking about on the lever or the bolt?
The eye on the lever where the pin , cross pin on the bolt connection.
I have noticed thrust still on the pin from the lever when the rising lug should of taken over.

I only ever got chance to try it on one 94, I never realised until my last 94 in ownership by me but the one I did relieve the eye a fraction locked via the lug very consistently and shot very well with a number of loads.

The carbines prior had all the same bad lock up. I was just to dumb to realise what the actions were telling me!

Now I beg someone to try it too so we can all benefit....maybe.

A guy on here, I forgot who, said they had done but not had chance to test it.
I was hoping he reported an improvement.

Thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Your earlier post on this subject caught my eye and I immediately thought of my carbine in question.
Naturally, I got sidetracked with something else and didn't get to it. I was glad to see it come back up. I will have to try and locate your old post on it. If I recall, you had pictures and described the procedure in detail.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

OldWin wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 pm Your earlier post on this subject caught my eye and I immediately thought of my carbine in question.
Naturally, I got sidetracked with something else and didn't get to it. I was glad to see it come back up. I will have to try and locate your old post on it. If I recall, you had pictures and described the procedure in detail.
Good.
IIRC, someone else supplied pictures to help confirm my explanation.
In a nutshell the lever must not be holding the bolt closed, only the raised lug. The lever detent should hold the lever in place firmly and not easily overcome, to achieve this some of the eye needs relieving where it would bear on the cross pin when the action is closed.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I fixed this by using a smaller diameter pin. I used the shank of a drill bit for a pin of the correct diameter. It was only a 1/64 smaller that the factory pin and it made all the difference.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BenT wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 pm I fixed this by using a smaller diameter pin. I used the shank of a drill bit for a pin of the correct diameter. It was only a 1/64 smaller that the factory pin and it made all the difference.
What was the "difference'?
Did the rifle shoot different?

Thanks.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The problem I was trying to fix was the fact that I needed to squeeze the lever hard to disengage the lever safety. This was on a 94 in 307 Win, which needless to say I never found a magic load for. It never shot better than 2 MOA. Which is fine for deer hunting.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BenT wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:16 pm The problem I was trying to fix was the fact that I needed to squeeze the lever hard to disengage the lever safety. This was on a 94 in 307 Win, which needless to say I never found a magic load for. It never shot better than 2 MOA. Which is fine for deer hunting.
That's great. How did it shoot after?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The biggest improvement was cycling the lever. There was no resistance at the end of the lever stroke. Shoots good!