Mossberg Shockwave

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Mossberg Shockwave

Post by 2ndovc »

Most of you guys are going to dump all over it, but I like it!

I had time this afternoon to stop by the range between appointments to run a few rounds through it.

What a hoot! Strictly a point as shoot type, but from the hip I was able to dust some targets from @ 15 yards pretty regularly.
Interesting thing was, at least for me that it didn't seem to kick any harder with 00 loads as it did with the light Winchester target loads. Only complaint and easily fixed is my right hand would slide up over the safety during recoil. The rear grip is hard and pretty smooth, a rubber grip wrap or some grip tape should fix that.
Usefulness, who knows but it will be a pretty good "bump in the night" gun. :D

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon May 15, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Post by JerryB »

Reckon the time is coming when that will be a real handy piece to have around.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a Remington Model 10 whose stock cracked, so made a similar style pistol-grip for it, and sawed it to 18.5" - it was nasty to fire 'from the hip' with one hand on the frond and the other on the pistol grip, but was NICE to fire with both hands on the pistol grip, like a large, front-heavy revolver. I could hit a gallon paint-can at 25 yards with SLUGS with it fairly reliably.

It had a nasty habit of going off when you racked the pump, and after a cop pointed it at my abdomen and racked the pump, I decided to 'de-mil' it for safety reasons.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon May 15, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmmmm.......hard to handle. I once had a LE Remington 870 with a folding stock and that thing beat me up. I found ...in my experience........a buttstock was just as easy to handle in tight situations and gave me greater control. The short barrel though, is a must.

Doc,
Good thing you demilled it....a shotgun is 18". :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah I meant 18.5"..... :oops: 28" overall, too. Made sure it was legal.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Does this shorty produce a pattern or does it just throw the shot widely?

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

TR,
This coming weekend to spend more time with it as far as how it patterns. First few rounds I had a tendency to shoot low but after a little practice I was hitting what I was aiming at. Old targets, bowling pins, an old paint can etc.

Jack, I understand what you're getting at and I have the short barreled shotgun thing pretty well covered with a '97 Riot, Remington 11R Riot gun and an 870 Police Magnum. The Shockwave has it's place, maybe not as a primary combat weapon but I think it will prove itself useful in some way. If nothing else it's great for knocking over bowling pins!

jb 8)

JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

If you wake up with a pain in the knee so bad you can't stop thinking about it,,,go shoot that and you will forget about your knee pain as you think boy my wrist hurts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought a black ace technical receiver that is a Mossberg with a ak type mag that can be made a pistol legally since it was a new never built receiver. I see them on you tube check them out.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... ORM=VRDGAR
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Remington now has an 870 version called the Tac-14 with the same stock?/grip?

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

If you go to Amazon (the only place they are available) and look for the OPsol Mini Clip, you can reliably cycle Aguila Minishells. You can put 9 of them in the mag tube. They are a lot of fun. I have a Shockwave too.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jengel wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:13 am If you go to Amazon (the only place they are available) and look for the OPsol Mini Clip, you can reliably cycle Aguila Minishells. You can put 9 of them in the mag tube. They are a lot of fun. I have a Shockwave too.
Definitely going to order one of those. I've been shooting the Minis out of my short barreled H&R for years.

jb 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Because the Shockwave was initially made as a PGO (Pistol Grip Only), it can legally have a 14" smoothbore barrel - as the extra length of the Shockwave Technologies Raptor grip gives it an OAL of more than 26" to make the OAL legal.

Here's the skinny on 14" barreled smoothbore shotguns: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Since I already had a 28" VR barreled Mossberg 500, not being a PGO the shortest barrel I could put on it would be 18" - so after a LOT of measuring, I cut my barrel to 18-1/2" for location convenience, just ahead of a rib post.

I installed a Shockwave Raptor PG and a Hogue hard rubber forend.

Although my Mossberg 500 is a 20ga, I was still (pleasantly) surprised at how mild the recoil was (I was shooting 3" magnum buckshot & slugs) when I shot it - most likely due to the angle of the Raptor grip.

I'm extremely please with how my "Whippet" gun turned out.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I have a pistol grip stock like that on my 1887 IAC clone. Not much fun to shoot, but it is excellent for it's intended purpose. :wink:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I saw those when they first came out and have been watching what's going on with them. Loaded with mini shells it would be a great home defense gun. With a laser or light you could take it to a new level.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

tman wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:08 pm I have a pistol grip stock like that on my 1887 IAC clone. Not much fun to shoot, but it is excellent for it's intended purpose. :wink:
I was shocked the price on them.I have the cammiron in the shotgun. I spelled that wrong.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Saw these discussed elsewhere, apparently Texas, and perhaps other states aren't thinking they are OK. Check local laws before travelling with one.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

This is true. Before my dealer ordered this one he had called the ATF and was referred to the OH Atty. General. Who in turn told him to call the ATF again. Finally was put through to someone in the AG's office that when asked about the Shockwave he was told to " Do whatever you want" as far as selling them. Not a solid ruling but not thinking I'm going to wear it around town either.

jb 8)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

2ndovc wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:35 pm This is true. Before my dealer ordered this one he had called the ATF and was referred to the OH Atty. General. Who in turn told him to call the ATF again. Finally was put through to someone in the AG's office that when asked about the Shockwave he was told to " Do whatever you want" as far as selling them. Not a solid ruling but not thinking I'm going to wear it around town either.
I feel a lot safer knowing the government limits what kind of guns law-abiding citizens can own... :roll:

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think the problem is that this is classified as a FIREARM and not a shotgun. Some states say a shotgun can't have less than an 18" barrel but this isn't a shotgun.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm I had a Remington Model 10 whose stock cracked, so made a similar style pistol-grip for it, and sawed it to 18.5" - it was nasty to fire 'from the hip' with one hand on the frond and the other on the pistol grip, but was NICE to fire with both hands on the pistol grip, like a large, front-heavy revolver. I could hit a gallon paint-can at 25 yards with SLUGS with it fairly reliably.

It had a nasty habit of going off when you racked the pump, and after a cop pointed it at my abdomen and racked the pump, I decided to 'de-mil' it for safety reasons.

That's when you have to."de-mil" the cop..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 pm I think the problem is that this is classified as a FIREARM and not a shotgun. Some states say a shotgun can't have less than an 18" barrel but this isn't a shotgun.
Just remember that federal regulations and state regulations do not always mesh.
The ATF may call that a firearm and says it okay because of it's over all length.
Texas, for instance, will call it a short-barreled firearm because the barrel is shorter than 18", even though it's over all length is 26". Possession is a 3rd degree felony (0 to 5 years)

I'm not endorsing the government's position. Just cautioning everyone to be aware that each state may have it's own rules pertaining to firearms, reloading equipment, interstate commerce..... Be careful what you do
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, my local favorite dealer says he has 2 on backorder, so I put dibs on 1🗽. If it looks as good in person I may get it just for the heck of it. I don't really need another pump shotgun, I have 4 now. Oh, wait this is not a shotgun, it is a firearm! I must Need that as I only have revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns but no firearms. So I need a firearm. :D :D :) :) God Bless.⛪
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Several seem to have negative opinions on that grip, but I like it a lot better than a pistol grip, which torques my wrist bad.

I bought an 870 marine magnum with a pistol grip. ..shot a tube full of buckshot. ...then I put a conventional stock on it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Choice is a wonderful thing. Something for everybody.
I believe that under any circumstance a handgun is easier to hide, transport and will get you more and quicker useful hits on target. I keep an 870 Tactical loaded in the house, and until they make a shotgun that will fit in my vest pocket or truck console, I'm good for now. 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

It just so happened that I handled one of these at the local gunshop today. I found it interesting, and kind of attractive, but that grip on the back is definitely too slick, and too straight, which makes it difficult to point effectively, I think. I suppose it has merit as a home defense or maybe vehicle defense choice, but it would be pretty much worthless in a hostage situation where one might need a little precision.

But it is interesting as heck! And I am amazed that it's not an NFA weapon. On the federal level, it's legal to own, but state to state, the water is a little murky and might land someone in trouble, so I wouldn't recommend putting in the car for interstate travel, just yet.

It does look dangerous as all get out, and might have a pretty good deterrent effect if that mattered. If I did buy the first thing I would do is put some kind of friction tape, or rubber wrap on that grip.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hickock 45 has a youtube video out on that gun. He does quite well with it. Way more hits than misses and he claims that his videos are never edited to make them show more hits.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I watched the Hickok vids, and some others, what I glean from it is:
1. It's a fun gun to shoot
2. It could be effective in a home defense situation
3. Even though though fun and effective, it still not the best choice for anything, unless it's needed for shear compactness, as it's still harder and slower to shoot then a regular stocked shotgun, and not as concealable as a good pistol.
4. You need to be careful of a couple of things, one being the safety can bite the web of you hand under recoil if you don't grip it right, and you probably should keep the strap on the pump handle, to help insure you don't let you hand get in front of the muzzle or you will be minus a hand.
5. I still kind of like it, and might get one, mostly for the fun of it, and possibly to include, on a very limited scope, in my personal protection arsenal.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

As another person who's actually shot one with that Shockwave Technologies Raptor grip, I can un-equivocally state that:

1) The grip does NOT slip in the had during firing, due to the sticky rubberized material it's made from.

2) Since the trigger hand does not move due to the grip material, there's no interference with the Mossy's tang safety.

3) Due to the flat angle of the Raptor grip, it's extremely comfortable to shoot, especially in comparison to a more vertical pistol grip like the earlier Mossy Cruiser's/Persuader's were issued with.

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:44 pm .

As another person who's actually shot one with that Shockwave Technologies Raptor grip, I can un-equivocally state that:

1) The grip does NOT slip in the had during firing, due to the sticky rubberized material it's made from.

2) Since the trigger hand does not move due to the grip material, there's no interference with the Mossy's tang safety.

3) Due to the flat angle of the Raptor grip, it's extremely comfortable to shoot, especially in comparison to a more vertical pistol grip like the earlier Mossy Cruiser's/Persuader's were issued with.

Question; Did you shoot the actual Mossy Shockwave or another shotgun that someone had added a Shockwave Tech. Raptor Grip? I just wonder if there is a difference, since the one I handled seemed pretty slick and I have shot enough shotguns to know that it would slip in my hand. I am just wondering if Shockwave Technologies offers a slightly different composition when just buying the grip alone, not the actual Mossy Shockwave itself?
NRA Life Member, Patron
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Texas has a bill in the legislator to allow sale of the Shockwave in Texas. Per the article that I read in the TSRA monthly, there is only one other sate in the US where the Shockwave is not legal.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Lastmohecken wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:21 am
Pete44ru wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:44 pm .

Question; Did you shoot the actual Mossy Shockwave or another shotgun that someone had added a Shockwave Tech. Raptor Grip?

I just wonder if there is a difference, since the one I handled seemed pretty slick and I have shot enough shotguns to know that it would slip in my hand.

I am just wondering if Shockwave Technologies offers a slightly different composition when just buying the grip alone, not the actual Mossy Shockwave itself ?

As I posted earlier, I added a Raptor grip, that I bought directly from Shockwave Technologies, to my Mossberg 500 when I shortened the barrel.

I wouldn't think that Shockwave Technologies would make the same grip with two different compounds, one for them & a separate one for Mossberg; but it's entirely possible that Mossberg isn't using ST as a grip vendor (buying the grips, and is instead simply licensing the Raptor design & making the "Shockwave" grips themselves, from whatever grip material they previously used for their Cruiser/Persuader lines.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ok guys here it is from someone that owns and shoots one;

In response to some of the above posts,

The rear grip IS hard and smooth. My right hand slides up the grip during recoil with 2 3/4" shells of various brands and loads. They all seem to be pretty equal and in recoil and controllability but that is purely subjective.
Some people just can't get the hang of shooting from the hip. I've been doing it since I was a kid with various types of pistol gripped shotguns. I just like them and enjoy shooting them.
FOR ME, the answer to the sliding grip/ hand/ safety was easily solved by a rubber grip wrap from Tuff1 that I had on an equally slippery Glock 21. Problem solved.
Just got back from a weekend shooting and camping. The Shockwave was a big hit, a lot of fun and doesn't kick nearly as hard as my SBH with the 3 3/4" barrel!!

jb 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

2ndovc wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 pm
Ok guys here it is from someone that owns and shoots one;

In response to some of the above posts,

The rear grip IS hard and smooth. My right hand slides up the grip during recoil with 2 3/4" shells of various brands and loads.

FOR ME, the answer to the sliding grip/ hand/ safety was easily solved by a rubber grip wrap from Tuff1 that I had on an equally slippery Glock 21. Problem solved.

Thanks for chiming in !

That pretty much indicates to me that Mossberg isn't installing the sticky Shockwave Technologies Raptor grips, and is making their own from whatever material, after licensing the design from ST.

Give my experience with my ST grip, rather than using a rubber grip wrap, I think I'd just switch out the Mossy grip for a gennie (a ST Raptor grip) - doubly so for a 12ga (my gun's a 20ga).

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Buck Elliott wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 2:16 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm I had a Remington Model 10 whose stock cracked, so made a similar style pistol-grip for it, and sawed it to 18.5" - it was nasty to fire 'from the hip' with one hand on the frond and the other on the pistol grip, but was NICE to fire with both hands on the pistol grip, like a large, front-heavy revolver. I could hit a gallon paint-can at 25 yards with SLUGS with it fairly reliably.

That's when you have to."de-mil" the cop..
No kidding. Holy stuff! :shock: