Cabela's has gone to the dark side

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Cabela's has gone to the dark side

Post by rodeo kid »

I was in Cabela's the other day to get some 20 gauge shot shells and wandered over to the pistol case. The horror! Every handgun had a trigger lock. They never had them before, but since the buyout from Bass Pro they now have them and will not take them off. The used rifle racks did not have them. How they sell any guns is beyond me. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Cabela's has gone to the dark side

Post by J Miller »

Buying a gun you cannot examine is buying a pig in a poke. Something I will not do.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 pm Buying a gun you cannot examine is buying a pig in a poke. Something I will not do.
I will from a guy on this forum, because it is kind of necessary, but I also trust them to do a 'return' without hassle if needed. I won't from a retailer who has an 'attitude', though....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I thought the buy out with Bass Pro fell through?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

The big Cabelas by Spokane (actually it's in Idaho) had trigger locks on the used guns when I was there last several years ago. The smaller outlet store in Yakima has had them for at least a year now also. I dont know if either place did or did not have them on the handguns.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rusty wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:38 pm I thought the buy out with Bass Pro fell through?
Last I heard the Feds stopped it for now. Said it gave one company too much of the market.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sounds like Company Lawyers making some decisions.... :roll: They think it's possible for someone to walk in with a pocket full of ammo and have at it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

They were not on the ones in the Fort Mill (SC) store. May be they are just complying with local law. Blame a lawyer. And a politician. You will be right 98% of the time... :evil:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

we had a moron go into a K-Mart (when they sold guns) with a pocket full of 20-gauge shotgun shells, asked to see a shotgun (which was a 12-gauge), loaded the gun with his 20-gauge shells then tried to rob the store. When everyone left in a panic he then went outside and met one of our LEO's face-to-face, he dropped the shotgun when confronted--and that's when we discovered that he had the wrong ammo...after all he was a moron... :)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

they are most likely getting a insurance break....in some of those area...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:18 pm
Rusty wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:38 pm I thought the buy out with Bass Pro fell through?
Last I heard the Feds stopped it for now. Said it gave one company too much of the market.
Last I read (SHOT Show media) Bass Pro, Cabela's, and Gander Mountain COMBINED made up only 11-13% of the retail hunting/shooting/fishing and small boat sales in the US market. Pretty consistent every year since 2008, from an $84B to over $95B (billion) industry annually. That's a lot of untapped sales from their standpoint.
Nonetheless, the feds did put a stop order on the Bass Pro buyout. Too bad, as it seems to me Cabela's is losing touch with the paycheck sportsman.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I noticed that rifles on the "used" rack at the Cabelas near me don't have magazines in them, if they were originally designed and manufactured with removable magazines. I thought this was odd, and kind of turned me off.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe they likely take the magazines out of guns out on the floor so they don't disappear.

Several years ago in walmart, I was curious why they mad you pay for ammo from the case right on the spot. They said it was because people would walk around the store and fill their pockets with the ammo and leave the empty box on a shelf somewhere, particularly 22 bulk boxes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

mohavesam wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:40 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:18 pm
Last I read (SHOT Show media) Bass Pro, Cabela's, and Gander Mountain COMBINED made up only 11-13% of the retail hunting/shooting/fishing and small boat sales in the US market. Pretty consistent every year since 2008, from an $84B to over $95B (billion) industry annually. That's a lot of untapped sales from their standpoint.
Nonetheless, the feds did put a stop order on the Bass Pro buyout. Too bad, as it seems to me Cabela's is losing touch with the paycheck sportsman.
I believe the Feds are looking at more than just "sporting goods" sales. Most of the data for sporting goods stores includes companies that don't even sell guns or fishing tackle. If you narrow it down to the things Cabelas and Bass Pro sell, their share of the market is much better.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have aCabelas Visa card. I hate to see Bass pro get a hold of that and screw it up. They manage it extremely well with great customer service.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
shiloh505
Levergunner

Post by shiloh505 »

Rodeo Kid I don't know which Cabela's you were in but I work at a Cabela's in Ohio. We don't have trigger locks on our handguns in the display cases. We do have trigger locks and theft alarms on long guns out on display. You'll also see any AR out on display with a zip tie holding the upper and lower together. The low lifes around here were stealing the bolt carrier groups out of the display rifles. They steal ammunition and anything else they can. We also deal with customers that want to disassemble a gun they're looking at. The problem is many don't know what they're doing and try and disassemble it without following the correct steps and we've ended being handed back Glocks and other handguns with slides stuck out of battery and more blunders. We try for legendary customer service all the time but sometimes the less than knowledgeable customers cause steps to be taken that end up hurting other customers. I'm constantly surprised at how many people who claim to have a CCW license handle guns completely unsafely. The first thing they do is put their finger on the trigger, muzzle us and everyone around the counter or point the gun at themselves. 90% don't practice basic safety steps when handling firearms. We don't say much because they are customers but it makes me question just what is taught in these CCW classes. Safety certainly isn't.

As to the merger I work for Cabela's and don't know where it stands. I don't think it's completely off. I think it's still being negotiated.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

\
shiloh505 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:09 am ... I'm constantly surprised at how many people who claim to have a CCW license handle guns completely unsafely. The first thing they do is put their finger on the trigger, muzzle us and everyone around the counter or point the gun at themselves. 90% don't practice basic safety steps when handling firearms. We don't say much because they are customers but it makes me question just what is taught in these CCW classes. Safety certainly isn't.
I'm also constantly surprised at how lax or just plain bad most people are at basic safe handling of guns. Yes, its all gotten more rigid over time, but I think its for a good reason, many people had very bad habits and did some very stupid things to themselves or others. This is one thing I have little remorse over the change over time.

I think people confuse "Ive always done it this way and never had a problem" as being good, rather than lucky.

http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.co ... wn+hand%22
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Rusty wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 am I have aCabelas Visa card. I hate to see Bass pro get a hold of that and screw it up. They manage it extremely well with great customer service.
Me too! It's the only card I have.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:14 pm Sounds like Company Lawyers making some decisions.... :roll: They think it's possible for someone to walk in with a pocket full of ammo and have at it.
You are probably right! But I would hate to be the moron that tried to slap ammo into a gun I was checking out at the gun counter in a Cabalas. How many CCW holders do you think would be in a 50' radius? It's not like he is shopping at a Starbucks!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Shilo, I was in the Oklahoma City store. This is the first time I have seen them since they opened. And there is no local law requiring them. Other gun stores have never had them. Only Bass Pro, Academy, and now Cabela's have them. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!