Anyone shoot 17hmr?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Anyone shoot 17hmr?

Post by m.wun »

1200rds of Hornaday ammo were givin to me. I had a Savage rifles in this caliber before but the trigger was pretty poor. Being I have this ammo I went and bought a Ruger American to burn this stuff up. Anyone here have a problem with split case Necks? I get a split case neck on 1 out of 10 rounds. It seems to be in the same spot every time, in line with firing pin dent. I remember having some issues with the Savage rifle like this but not near as much. Not real sure if it's a ammo deal or a chamber issue. I almost bought a CZ rifle in 17hmr as I have a 22lr that is a stellar gun.kind of wishing I spent the extra cash on the CZ.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Anyone shoot 17hmr?

Post by Batman1939 »

I have a CZ American model 453--with set trigger. It is very accurate and I've had no issues with split cases. They seem to be very popular on the Rimfire Community Site as well. I've mostly shot the Hornady ammo.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I know when the HMR first came out there were many complaints about split necks. Could be chamber or manufacturer...
Polishing the chamber might help. But you need a very small polishing rod. I suppose a handy guy could solder a case to the end of a rod, apply lapping compound to case neck and then turn it to polish the chamber. Just go easy!
My uncle in Idaho swears by his HMR for ground squirrels out to 150.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I bought a Ruger 96/22 WMR and for about a hundred bucks and 5 minutes of labor switched the barrel out with a Green Mountain in 17 HMR. It has been a very reliable and accurate shooter, and no split necks after many hundreds of rounds. I don't know if this is because it is an aftermarket barrel with a sort of match chamber or just good luck.

A levergun in 17 HMR is really kind of nice. I don't have a lever action in 22 Hornet but I do have one in 218 Bee, but the gap between that and 22 LR is nicely filled by my Ruger in 17 HMR.

Here's the little 17 HMR Ruger 96 with a Ruger 77/22....the 96/17 is definitely smaller and handier than the 77/22, but not quite as much as it looks like due to the angle of the photo.

I have a Contender carbine barrel in 17 Hornet, and really wish a levergun were available for that. With modern manufacturing, I think it would make a superb little varmint round.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've had my CZ for a very long time, and never a split case, or ammo issue.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Love my Winchester Low Wall (Miroku, Japan) in 17 HMR...

Carries well, shoots great -- and it has a LEVER to open the action!
Low Wall 17 woods 01 (Medium).jpg

Check out my "speed loader" too! :wink:
Low Wall 17 woods 03 (Small).JPG

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've not heard of split necks on bolt guns. I thought that was on early autos. I have a Ruger American in 17 and haven't experienced that but I haven't shot it a whole lot
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I never gave much thought to the 17HMR until a couple of years ago.

I stumbled across a you tube channel called The Wild North.

The 17HMR is what he uses for a trapline gun.

After watching a few hrs of his vids I have a lot of respect for the little rd now.

---------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a Lil' Badger in 17hmr. Split cases are common in older lots of ammo. Hornady used to replace it, idk if they will anymore.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Fantastic little cartridge. Be sure to keep the barrel clean as that little spitfire can increase pressures with a fouled barrel. This ain't your grand dads pedestrian 22RF. This little pill moves out like some centerfires.

I have a few...Savage, CZ, Anschutz, TC Contender....All are serious tack drivers.

www.17hmrboreguide.com
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
saw whet owl
Levergunner

Post by saw whet owl »

I have a Marlin 917V in 17 HMR. With a Burris mini 6X scope, it is pretty easy to head shot squirrels out to maybe 40 yards. You need to do this (head shoot), as a body shot is pretty destructive on game you intend to eat.

Having several 22 caliber diameter cleaning rods on hand, I dislike that one must buy a 17 caliber cleaning rod.
Last edited by saw whet owl on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Take this tongue in cheek, people say how fast the 17hmr is, I tell them, it's only 100fps faster than a 30/30 with a 150gr bullet, at least in ballistic charts. I really like the 17 tho! You can always find it on the shelves when there is no 22 or 22 mag!Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a .17 WSM just because I got one of the last of the slim barrel ones for $64.99 at Wal Mart. Savage B-Mag which I put an old Bushnell scope on.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I've never had a split case, but I can relate a little Savage 17HMR that I loaned to a pal, who wanted to shoot it with his son. I think it retailed for $159 or so. Anyway, he returned it saying he couldn't get it to group. He showed me the ammo and I surmised why his frustration. He had fired probably fifteen rounds of CCI 22 Magnum through the little 17HMR!

I know Savage builds a tough rifle - but in a little featherweight bunny gun??? Incidentally, I scrubbed the chamber and bore and gave it a good soak with the foamy foam overnight. It shoots into 1" on the 75-yard target and stays clean - with the correct ammunition. :?
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well that's one way to fire lap the bore!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a 9422M and never had a .17.....Can someone 'splain why the .22 mag isn't just as good or better? I seem to be able to hit small stuff at 150 yds, or so.....22mag has more bullet weight, penetration...maybe not quite as flat shooting, but at longer ranges retains more FPE.....Or not??
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:42 pm I know when the HMR first came out there were many complaints about split necks. Could be chamber or manufacturer...
Polishing the chamber might help. But you need a very small polishing rod. I suppose a handy guy could solder a case to the end of a rod, apply lapping compound to case neck and then turn it to polish the chamber. Just go easy!
My uncle in Idaho swears by his HMR for ground squirrels out to 150.
Good if you want them dead, better if you want them meatless :shock:

While they are really really flat, they shoot flames out a pistol.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:20 pm I have a 9422M and never had a .17.....Can someone 'splain why the .22 mag isn't just as good or better? I seem to be able to hit small stuff at 150 yds, or so.....22mag has more bullet weight, penetration...maybe not quite as flat shooting, but at longer ranges retains more FPE.....Or not??
Blaine, not better, just different.