...never did trust electronic safe locks...!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

...never did trust electronic safe locks...!

Post by AJMD429 »

Can't get mine to work today.

New battery no help.

Not real happy, since Christmas is usually when we do some family shootin' (...I laugh when I think how strange that must sound to city-folk... :o ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Re: ...never did trust electronic safe locks...!

Post by Marlin32 »

Been there done that. Had to call a safe smith to unlock it, and he put a new electronic lock, but a better quality one on.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Get out the angle grinder, you will be in in no time. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Mine won`t reset half the time, have to bang on it and shake the handle then beep and it works.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Get some C-4.....that will work.....just be sure you don't do it like the Polish bank robber who tied up the safe and blew the guard.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Take battery out, wait a few minutes reinstall battery and try it? Might need to reset itself?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I guess I'm too "old school" and have lived in a mechanical world and don't believe I'll ever get out of it. I never did trust electronics of any kind, unless of course I'm forced to. If I have a choice, I always go for the mechanical variation. Even when I bought my last new Jeep, I was adamant to the salesman about roll up windows vs. the motorized ones. Did not even want air conditioning but I had no choice on that.

I like things that when they break, I don't have to call anyone. Still use Maytag wringer washers.----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My jeep also has rollups. No electronics here, Sargent & Geenleaf for me. The beads are from a couple of dancers in Las Vegas, all 37 strings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Dang! That Old Savage guy gets ALL of the neat stuff! Look at those beads.....and how they once hung around the "soft stuff". :D ---6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Dang! That Old Savage guy gets ALL of the neat stuff! Look at those beads.....and how they once hung around the "soft stuff". :D ---6
I'm sure his memory is failing... those look like Mardi-Gras beads... from New Orleans.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:shock: That really bites. Good thing there's no emergencies. But, I guess you have Donner und Blitzen out, and ready to go if need be.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

This Spring I had the same issue with my ten year old Champion safe. Would not open, even after installing 2 new batteries. Combination was changed once that day safe was installed to a combination I selected.

Called the dealer who advised me to call Champion Safe. After jumping through a few hoops, Champion sent out a loaner key pad. Still did not open.

Dealer representative came out and unsuccessfully tried several Champion provided "master codes" as well as new batteries. He called Champion and again unsuccessfully tried another master code. Dealer rep drilled out the safe door to remove the computer chip, open it up, and install a time-tested S & G dial lock.

Old lock sent back to Champion to test it. Champion found a problem in the computer chip as there was power from the battery/key pad to the computer chip. For someone reason, the computer chip would not accept the combination or the master codes. Learned the difficult way that electronic safe door looks are unreliable and like a home computer, they will fail. All that for a mere US$475.00, tax included.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, the devil in disguise no doubt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm feeling better about my cheap-o StackOn and Homak already.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My ammo/ pistol safe was made by Wilf Charles, a blacksmith who did a lot of work for the SAS, the lock failed a few days ago, I couldn't believe it, but a good spray of lubricant got it working like new, I would never trust anything electronic on something so important.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My gunsafe is 34 years old... the S&G manual lock has not failed once... 'Nuff said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

electronic locks? I could never understand putting a lock onto a "safe" that anyone could walk away with.

I like the kind you twirl around. Can you imagine Wyat Earp fiddling with a touchpad?
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I have a friend that services safes. For every mechanical lock that he has to fix, he fixes about 10 electronic. :)

Cat
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Will never own an electronic gun/safe lock.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I did engineer a figurative back-door, so I can get in, but will definitely be replacing the lock.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:My gunsafe is 34 years old... the S&G manual lock has not failed once... 'Nuff said.

That's about how old mine is..closer to 30......open it almost daily...still works.......

OLD SAVAGE......mmmmmm......the good stuff.....nice and soft...very playful :D ---6

hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

My safe is also 30ish years old. It gets opened at least once a day. It is a S&G manual lock and has never given any trouble. I changed the combination when we set it in the house. The Company which sold me the safe at a gun show did not want me to set the combination as so many people seem to screw it up and they have to send a repairman out on site and charge $ and it upsets the new buyer.
I do not plan on ever owning an electronic lock safe.

busa
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

AJMD429 wrote: Not real happy, since Christmas is usually when we do some family shootin' (...I laugh when I think how strange that must sound to city-folk... :o ).
I get ticked enough at some family members the rest of the year, so can't wait until Christmas to do some "family shootin" Some of them need taken care of right away! ;)

But I wont have an electronic lock on a gun safe either. Too many horror stories for me to want the hassle. Dials are pretty low tech, and I like that.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sorry for your luck but thank you for reinforcing my thought on why I stuck with the old fashioned dial.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Didn`t you guys with electronics safes come with keys to open them, mine did it`s a Stack on.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Pitchy wrote:Didn`t you guys with electronics safes come with keys to open them, mine did it`s a Stack on.
That's the answer - if you have to go digital, does it have a key bypass?

A digital lock is sort of okay if it comes with a key bypass. But those 4 digit digital ones, unless they have a timeout feature after a few tries, can be defeated in time just by starting with 0000, 0001... Just punching in 20 4-digit combinations a minute - pretty slow - means you will reach 9999 in about 8 hours 20 minutes. Leaving a normal, curious kid at home with one of these guarding your guns is not such a good idea; an hour a day for less than a week gives you all the combinations. And of course if your combination is 5555, that's about 4 hrs 10 minutes tops.

Besides a mechanical (dial) lock safe for most stuff, I use a smaller quick entry handgun safe with an electronic digital lock. But it has a strangely configured bypass key, not a standard pin tumbler type that can quickly be picked. And I have an electronic handgun box for transporting purposes, quick to open. But again, it features a key lock as well.

I question the wisdom altogether of purchasing a fireproof safe with an electronic lock, which would be the first to melt and be rendered useless.

The digital buttons that work in combination without the keypad 0 through 9 are easy to defeat. I picked up a Radio Shack infrared home alarm system out of the red tag bin - for a ridiculously low price - many years ago because the store owner lost the simple 4 digit combination for the control box. It featured 4 buttons to be pressed in combination, so there were only 256 possible combinations to disarm it; Like Button 3, Button 4, Button 4, Button 2. I took my prize home and "cracked" it in a short time while watching a TV program. It was good enough as an internal disarming device.

I used it for a year or two. Then, we went on vacation and dear ol' Dad came into the house to get something, but didn't have the combination. The loud external horn went off while he was fiddling with the control box and its back up gel cell battery. So he ripped the box from the wall and stomped the poor thing to death. :cry:

Rest In Peace, Home Alert Alarm System. Hello, ADT.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JohndeFresno wrote:...the loud external horn went off while he was fiddling with the control box and its back up gel cell battery. So he ripped the box from the wall and stomped the poor thing to death. :cry:

Rest In Peace, Home Alert Alarm System.
Now THAT would have been fun to watch.... :lol:

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:...the loud external horn went off while he was fiddling with the control box and its back up gel cell battery. So he ripped the box from the wall and stomped the poor thing to death. :cry:

Rest In Peace, Home Alert Alarm System.
Now THAT would have been fun to watch.... :lol:
that was truly funny
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I don't like them either.....I'll stick with the old fashion combo locks
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Sixgun wrote:I guess I'm too "old school" and have lived in a mechanical world and don't believe I'll ever get out of it. I never did trust electronics of any kind, unless of course I'm forced to. If I have a choice, I always go for the mechanical variation. Even when I bought my last new Jeep, I was adamant to the salesman about roll up windows vs. the motorized ones. Did not even want air conditioning but I had no choice on that.

I like things that when they break, I don't have to call anyone. Still use Maytag wringer washers.----6
yea well I had the tumblers slip in mine, $350 to get it opened, now I have a electric lock on it. So you can get 'got' either way. :roll:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

buckeyeshooter wrote: yea well I had the tumblers slip in mine, $350 to get it opened, now I have a electric lock on it. So you can get 'got' either way. :roll:
I have read that this can happen if you slam the door shut on some safes. Is that what happened??
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Sixgun wrote:I guess I'm too "old school" and have lived in a mechanical world and don't believe I'll ever get out of it. I never did trust electronics of any kind, unless of course I'm forced to. If I have a choice, I always go for the mechanical variation. Even when I bought my last new Jeep, I was adamant to the salesman about roll up windows vs. the motorized ones. Did not even want air conditioning but I had no choice on that.

Agree with you about Mechanical/Electrical mechanical over electronics. Am amazed that you get your lady to use a wringer washer. A tip of the hat :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

tman wrote:

Agree with you about Mechanical/Electrical mechanical over electronics. Am amazed that you get your lady to use a wringer washer. A tip of the hat :mrgreen:
He don't... notice he used the "1st person" in that sentence... :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JohndeFresno wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:yea well I had the tumblers slip in mine, $350 to get it opened, now I have a electric lock on it. So you can get 'got' either way. :roll:
I have read that this can happen if you slam the door shut on some safes. Is that what happened??
Can't happen on mine... nearly air-tight, air compression slows it down so it just barely closes, still have to push it the last bit to engage the lugs!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I'm at an age where I just don't give a flying pelosi what others think. Been there and done that.....automatic washers last 4 years..tops..aggravation inbetween those 4 years. After dealing with aggravation from 1972, I decided to take contol from the capitalists and live life "my style".

If your smart, you can do 2-400% more clothes in a wringer than you can in an automatic in the same amount of time. Wash the whites....then use the same water for the darks. Horse blankets, quilts, bedspreads????....no problem. The only "problem" is that you have to stay there...no walking away and talking on the phone.

These thing don't break down.......maybe a belt every twenty years. Plus, you have to put the clothes through twice in order to use the dryer.

I call my style of living ...free.....no credit cards, vehicles I can work on...horses for transportation if need be..lots of dogs to replace electronic security......solar lights and and other things for security issues...

plenty of guns and ammo if someone approaches within 100 meters.

I may be the definition of a nut but myself and my neighbors feel the same...you loot-I shoot :D ----6

It's real...I don't steal pictures off of the internet....yep...loaded for bear...all of them.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

And I asked if you had a BAR and no reply.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy wrote:And I asked if you had a BAR and no reply.

Sorry Pitch....didn't see it....

It's nothing special...semi automatic...but dang!!!! This baby shoots! It's almost a little scarey, pumping out '06's as fast as I can pull the trigger....and little recoil.

There's a reason for my signature line.....I've got a few AR-'s and those babies shoot as does the M1A.......but there ain't nothin like the BAR....unless, if course, you have a Ma Deuce floatin' around.

After ripping off a couple of XX mags, you feel......so realaxed!----6
Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Slipping Tumblers. When I had the dial lock installed on my safe I asked the repair tech about any maintenance on the dial lock.

The tech said that dial combination locks are just about maintenance free, but-- and there always is a 'but'- you get what you pay for. He then said if the number sequence is too close together that can/will cause unusual tumbler wear and lead to locking/unlocking problems.

According to the tech, unusual tumbler wear could/can also occur if quickly spinning the dial several times before applying the combination sequence to unlock. Supposedly people do this to "align everything up." He said doing the same after locking the safe dial can/will cause excessive tumbler wear.

There just might be something to what he said. A friend had his safe dial lock replaced because he said the tumblers were worn. He told me that two numbers were very close and the locksmith told him that was the problem. Now I do not recall the age of his safe and/or if the dial lock was "quality".
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ray,
Maybe so..but I've never experienced it. I've had my first safe since ...just guessing...mid eighties and the second one came 20 years later.......both S & G......and I spin those babies near everyday.....

Maybe what I do has something to do with it......I spray into the dial with R.E.M.---Oil every couple of months......you know...spray like I don't have to pay for it...in fact, I don't.....my buddy owns a large gunshop and is Remington themed.....anyway, forget that bs....its cheap anyway......

Life is short...Let your heirs worry about the small stuff .----6

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sixgun wrote:
Pitchy wrote:And I asked if you had a BAR and no reply.

Sorry Pitch....didn't see it....

It's nothing special...semi automatic...but dang!!!! This baby shoots! It's almost a little scarey, pumping out '06's as fast as I can pull the trigger....and little recoil.

There's a reason for my signature line.....I've got a few AR-'s and those babies shoot as does the M1A.......but there ain't nothin like the BAR....unless, if course, you have a Ma Deuce floatin' around.

After ripping off a couple of XX mags, you feel......so realaxed!----6
Thanks I asked about it another thread, I remember when ya could buy one in Gun list or something about 20 years ago or so for 1,500 bucks sure wish I`d would of bought one.
Is there a outlet for them now and how much?
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pitch,
Ohio ordnance Works makes them. GI parts except the receiver and the barrel. A bit over 4---6

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I prefer CV38 over C4 or Semtex to get safes open. It is not as loud and works more like a super powerful cutting torch. Det cord will really mess it up. It is all about the brisance.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ray Newman wrote: (EXCERPTED, annotated - JdeF)
1) ...if the number sequence is too close together that can/will cause unusual tumbler wear and lead to locking/unlocking problems.

2) ...unusual tumbler wear could/can also occur if quickly spinning the dial several times before applying the combination sequence to unlock.

3) ...doing the same after locking the safe dial can/will cause excessive tumbler wear.
Great tips, Ray!
I new about #1; worthy to remember for those who reset a combination to their own preference. Some safe manuals warn about this.

I didn't know about #2 and #3 and have been quickly spinning the dials each time for years. The above information makes sense, so I'll stop that practice.

Thank you for the tips!
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Pitchy wrote:Didn`t you guys with electronics safes come with keys to open them, mine did it`s a Stack on.
My Stack-on pistol safe failed yesterday, top 2 rows of keypad don't work. 3 new batteries, still no luck. Half hour search for manual revealed there are in fact keys for backup. Another half hour search for keys and safe is open. I don't think I'll bother getting the keypad fixed, just keep track of the keys, perhaps keep them in one of the other electronic safes. ;)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW:

If you are replacing a gun safe mechanical dial combination lock, the UL 768 Group II S&G 6730 is the industry standard and the minimum performance level you should consider.

There are only 2 worthwhile gun safe mechanical locks, and many knock-off's: S&G and LaGard.

The equivalent La Gard 3330 mechanical dial lock would also be a good choice.

The 3330 is still all-brass internally, while S&G has started using plastic parts inside their mechanical dial locks.

Since, of course, I never read the owner's manual when I bought my Champion safe about 15 years ago, I rapidly spun the dial both to first clear the lock prior to dialing in the combination, and after closing the safe.

Last week, I couldn't get the safe open until after about 20 try's, and the combination dial felt very very "loose".

Once I got it opened, I had a locksmith come to the house, thinking the lock needed replacement.

Wrong. :roll:

The locksmith said that most just needed adjustment - which he proceeded to perform, then he manually reset the combination using the same combination the safe already had.

After that ( & $75 later), the combination dial felt remarkably tighter, and was E-Z-Peazy to open.

BTW - when I told him that I had occasionally lubricated the lock with a clockworks lube, he told me that I was fortunate that the lube didn't reach the tumblers, or I would have needed to have the lock drilled out from the front of the in-opened door & replaced. :o

I tossed the lube.............................

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Found this interesting Troubleshooting Guide for the 'mechanical' type locks:
Bad News = there obviously are things that go wrong with them, or there wouldn't be such a guide

However - the 'Troubleshooting Guide for Electronic Locks" is probably shorter:
  • Page One - Title Page
    Page Two - List of various Electronic Lock Models
    Page Three - List of methods to Fix Electronic Locks
    • a) Drills
      b) Saws
      c) Explosives

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

"Troubleshooting Guide for Electronic Locks" :

Page Three - List of methods to Fix Electronic Locks

a) Replace

b) Please refer to "a", above

:mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess a locksmith told this guy the electronic keypads last about three years.... :?
Then there's this guy who gets into electronic safe without combination
Or this guy, who gets into a mechanical-lock safe... :|
This is sort of an advertisement, but interesting: