Reloading Center for Cramped Quarters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Reloading Center for Cramped Quarters

Post by JohndeFresno »

We have covered all this before.

But I suspect that folks enjoy seeing the latest reloading ideas for cramped quarters; especially urban dwellers who, like me, may only have space in a corner of their garage or small workshop to toss around lead, powder, primers and the like.

This is my latest setup, and it works quite well for me. With my Hornady Lock-N-Load press (on the left) and its quick click-in dies, the total setup time, from the first photo to the last, is less than one minute! If I change powder charge or bullet seating within a designated cartridge, the extra time only amounts to a few minutes.

The RCBS Rockchucker press in the center is reserved for certain rifle loads; the RCBS Piggyback Progressive press on the right is semi-permanently set up for a particular 9mm Luger practice load for my newest acquisition, the S&W 9mm Shield semi-auto.

1) Reloading Center is a converted prefabricated cabinet and workbench area along the interior garage wall.

2) Press covers are removed, then a folding table attached to a cabinet door drops down to hold components from a separate storage area, keeping my reloading bench uncluttered. The table is a double hinged affair with a simple gate hook to secure it to the cabinet on the left. Unhooking the latch allows it to drop quickly into place on its folding leg.

3) The top cabinet opens up to allow access to several tools, a scale, dies, and other items.

4) Cabinet doors are removed for ease of access. I use Lee Autodisk Powder Measures, with the adjustable Powder Bar, on the Hornady press; one for each caliber. Since I practice frequently with two loads in the little 9mm Luger pistol, I have two preset Autodisk Powder Measures in that caliber.

5) This is a close-up photo of the lift-off hinges that allow me to quickly remove the cabinet doors. As a side note, the small red stickers on the die boxes indicate that they are preset for the Hornady press with a click-on collar attached.

Now, setup and cleanup is a breeze, which allows me more opportunities to reload small batches when necessary on a moment's notice.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Reloading Center for Cramped Quarters

Post by Sixgun »

John,
YOU are the master of organization. I'm impressed as I thought I was overly organized. Geeze, you make my reloading bench look like Griff's. :D

But.....I really can't see where you are hurting for space......leave the dang car out of the garage and take it all over.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Laughing - thanks, Sixgun! In one fell swoop a compliment and...
Have you seen Griff, lately? Somebody said that they just found him thrown under a bus... !
:lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Really making me think I should go down and clean up my little loading room. :oops:
It's in the old part of the basement that used to be the old coal bin. Small but cozy and I'm the only one allowed in so the Neat Nazi can't give me a hard time. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:John,
YOU are the master of organization. I'm impressed as I thought I was overly organized. Geeze, you make my reloading bench look like Griff's. :D

But.....I really can't see where you are hurting for space......leave the dang car out of the garage and take it all over.-----6
Nice John. I think that's a vast improvement from when I visited!

And, Jack... whatever to you mean?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Griff.....my apologies. I remember that recent post of the "big clean up". Something made me think otherwise........mmmm........I remember now....you still have that pic from about 5 or more years ago when you were trucking a lot and left the bench like I thought I remembered it? That was funny you know, everyone was posting pics of their bench's and then you posted one that looked like it was hit by a tornado. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Dang Griff.....my apologies. I remember that recent post of the "big clean up". Something made me think otherwise........mmmm........I remember now....you still have that pic from about 5 or more years ago when you were trucking a lot and left the bench like I thought I remembered it? That was funny you know, everyone was posting pics of their bench's and then you posted one that looked like it was hit by a tornado. :D ----6
Yeah, after the rebuild, I've tried to keep it lookin' for like humans live here!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My dad has a sign on his desk, he just celebrated his 84th! The sign says
' a clean desk is the sign of a sick mind'

I like the compact idea, but my thought for a loading station has always been a U shape. That way you can spread out left and right by only a swivel chair.

My set up now is just some old cabinets, powder storage, dies , primers each in a drawer, had to move all my lead into their own dresser.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

YOU are the master of organization...
I agree -- well done!

And gee whiz, even the cabinets are numbered...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Levergunners. I was hoping to be of some help to some folks with extremely limited reloading space like this city dweller.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice! But, are you letting you wife have the whole kitchen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Clean, neat and well-organized spaces inevitably leave me feeling inadequate ...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My reloading "center" for cramped quarters, is the same as my loading center for laoding in the field, or at the range. I use my old Huntington hand loader, which accepts regular 7/8-14 dies, and my Harrell's powder measure. Everything I do at home for normal reloading I can do with the Huntington. It can even do some case forming as long as it's not requiring any high leverage to do so.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Savage wrote:Very nice! But, are you letting you wife have the whole kitchen?
Bringing powder and lead into the house makes for an unhappy bride. Unhappy bride means dark clouds and less giggles...
Garage is not a Jay Leno sized affair; just a tight 2 car garage with 2 cars...
Nor do I have a barn in the South 40. My crops fit into 10ft X 4ft - that's my South 40.

As for the kitchen, OS, let's put it this way:
If one is married to a gourmet chef class cook who concocts a different delicacy every day, would they interfere with their workspace? :roll:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

There was an old timer round these parts that was half 'smith, half retailer, half gun dealer, he worked out of his house.
His Desk was covered in gun parts, walls were covered in guns for sale/ repair and supplies, his kitchen was set up for reloading. He had a couple of shotgun presses bolted to the counters. Rifle press on the table. Cabinets had more powder(his stock) then food. The powder for sale he kept in the fridge!
He was a pipe smoker, all the customers brought him tobacco at CHRISTMAS that he would proceed to mix all together- that was the foulest pipe smoke ever!
I miss that place!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GunnyMack wrote:There was an old timer...
I miss that place!
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Ha, nice, but that would take a special kind of woman...
My first child - '94 30-30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote:
YOU are the master of organization...
I agree -- well done!

And gee whiz, even the cabinets are numbered...

Old No7
That's what struck me. Numbered cabinets. I think I have organizational OCD, and even I don't do that! Now I need to do so when I get home!!! :D :D :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Not OCD - advancing age...
I keep a list of certain things - which cabinets!

But not to worry, I'm working on a workaround for failing memory...

And while you are there, what forum is this, anyway?