Got a new barrel for my 1911... ;-)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Got a new barrel for my 1911... ;-)

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't shoot my Rock Island double-stack much; I got it just 'because' - I like my Para Ordnance P-14 so much I wanted a 'spare' in similar configuration. The Rock Island is a VERY well made gun, but is all-steel, and much heavier, and given the P-14's utter reliability and lighter aluminum grip frame, it makes a better carry gun.

Then I came across mention of the MechTech Glock/1911 Carbine kit in a thread on this forum... :| Then I explored their website, and found out that the MechTech 'CCU' is essentially a new 'upper' that replaces your barrel and slide. Hmmm.........

Then I got a paycheck (first in quite awhile)... :mrgreen:

So....I went to http://www.mechtechsys.com/faqs.php#c0 and decided what to order, then gave them a call on Thursday....the following Tuesday I got a package in the mail... 8) 8)

Package Arrives

What's in the Box...?

Just take out the magazine and remove your slide and barrel...

Position your frame in the rear of the 'upper'...

...and slide it forward, then install the slide lever like normal...

(the safety still works just like normal, by the way)

It is NOW ready to fire...!!!

(It honestly takes less than a minute to remove your slide/barrel and install the 'upper'...)

...but you can order with their wire collapsible stock, or an 'AR' adapter, and put whatever sights you want on it...

The little part sitting on top of the serial number is a 'ParaBlock', which enables use with 1911's that have barrels with integral ramps like the Para Ordnance; turns out my Rock Island is a virtually identical double-stack to the Para P-14, but has a 'normal' 1911 frame with the ramp on the frame not the barrel. Thus I didn't need the ParaBlock for the Rock Island. May come in handy if I decide to use my P-12 frame on it, though...

This is the normal 14-round magazine in place.

The 15-round magazine BARELY protrudes from the grip frame, and the 20-rounder is pretty compact vs. most 'stick' magazines.

The completed 45 ACP Carbine... 8)

I will put irons on it most likely, but just wanted to put an optic on it for a quick range-test....

Fourteen shots at 50 yards (off a rest) with mixed-brands of factory ball ammo. Not bad...!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:45 am, edited 7 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got a new barrel for my 1911... ;-)

Post by Streetstar »

That is too cool --- i may have to get one for my Glock 20 when my 10mm Sig comes in next month --- otherwise that Glock may start gathering a lot of dust - :lol:
----- Doug
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

They are pretty cool, the ones I have messed with have all been accurate, and dependable.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A decade or two ago, you could get a single shot upper like that that would take a .308...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

NICE!!!
Of course by the end of the tread, someone is going to tell you it should be in 9MM ;)
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

horsesoldier03 wrote:NICE!!!
Of course by the end of the tread, someone is going to tell you it should be in 9MM ;)
Well if they do they can buy one because they make them in 9mm,10mm,45 acp and 460 Rowland
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

horsesoldier03 wrote:NICE!!!
There's a lot better ways to shot 9mm from a carbine. :D Not that you gain anything by doing it.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:
horsesoldier03 wrote:NICE!!! Of course by the end of the tread, someone is going to tell you it should be in 9MM ;)
There's a lot better ways to shot 9mm from a carbine. :D Not that you gain anything by doing it.
Yeah. It seems like any argument for 'less than' a 45 ACP (or 10mm) from a pistol kind of evaporates when it comes to a (more controllable) carbine, as long as the magazines have decent capacity. My 20-rounders seem to work perfectly in the P-14, and even the factory 14 and 15 round ones hold about half a pound of lead... 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, that is really nifty! I've always wondered what the performance of a 10mm would be in a carbine. With a slow burning powder like #9 it might pick up some velocity over a pistol. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Andy, I too have wondered about a 10mm carbine. Might be motorcycle compatible 8)
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Oh! Double stack! You have redeemed yourself!
The price point keeps me away, but not too dang bad.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

From "Octo" :D
Andy, I too have wondered about a 10mm carbine. Might be motorcycle compatible 8)
Well it certainly would be, that is for sure! When hiking or camping in black bear country I have always carried my 10mm 1911 with some Double Tap ammo in it in a strong side holster. But when in "Grizzly country" I carry the 460 "snubbie". -Tutt

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AJMD429 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
horsesoldier03 wrote:NICE!!! Of course by the end of the tread, someone is going to tell you it should be in 9MM ;)
Yeah. It seems like any argument for 'less than' a 45 ACP (or 10mm) from a pistol kind of evaporates when it comes to a (more controllable) carbine, as long as the magazines have decent capacity. My 20-rounders seem to work perfectly in the P-14, and even the factory 14 and 15 round ones hold about half a pound of lead... 8)

There is literally nothing to gain performance wise shootng 9mm from a carbine. There is more control and accuracy, but if I'm going bigger in a weapon, I'm going bigger cartridge wise.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Frank, it might also be the same for the 10mm but having never seen any chronograph results with the 10mm in a carbine, I just don't know. That is why I recommended using #9, or for that matter #7 or Power Pistol as anyone of them might offer the best results with the 10mm data I have from software predictions. I agree with your summation on the 9mm though.

Regards,

-Tutt

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great info and post. I had a full auto M-16 with a 10mm upper but it was too hot for a blowback action and would split cases with my normal carry ammo (Norma Loading from a ammo company).
It is not the critic who counts
1894c

Post by 1894c »

darn that is so cooool, sorry about my language, but that is really cooooool... :)
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

They make 'em in 10mm?!?

8) 8) 8)

-Stretch
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

CowboyTutt wrote:Frank, it might also be the same for the 10mm but having never seen any chronograph results with the 10mm in a carbine, I just don't know. That is why I recommended using #9, or for that matter #7 or Power Pistol as anyone of them might offer the best results with the 10mm data I have from software predictions. I agree with your summation on the 9mm though.

Regards,

-Tutt
Based on case capacity, the significant gains in a 6" barreled 10mm pistol, and the significant gains i found loading for .357 in a Marlin carbine, the significant gains I found loading 10mm overall, I am fairly certain there is a significant gain to be had from a 10mm carbine. The 9mm is severely limited by case capacity in this instance.
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm not much for Tactical pelosi, but that is just very, very nice....accuracy is impressive for a throw-together kit like that. :D :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like that, a lot! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:I'm not much for Tactical pelosi, but that is just very, very nice....accuracy is impressive for a throw-together kit like that. :D :mrgreen:
What's interesting is HOW FAST it is to assemble - literally pop the slide off and replace it with the 'upper'.
I'd estimate it takes about one minute, maybe less (I'll have to time it).

THAT opens up the possibility of it as a 'car gun' type accessory for those who want the extra reach of a 'long gun' in case there is a social breakdown and they are 'trapped in the city' or have a 30 mile walk home. You could have IT in a vehicle anywhere (or nearly so), since it is NOT A FIREARM. Assuming you're legal for CCW where you go, you could either just keep your handgun as-is and deal with whatever bad stuff is going on, or within seconds (maybe a minute), transition to a long-gun and have the extra velocity and accuracy (and perhaps 'intimidation' factor).

Hopefully, none of us will ever be in the big city and stranded during riots or whatever, but should that happen, the MechTech could be part of a solution to get home safely, without having to inventory and deal with the red tape of another 'firearm'.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm thinking I may just buy a double stack frame, build my own "lower" add one of those kits, and just leave it assembed.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:I'm thinking I may just buy a double stack frame, build my own "lower" add one of those kits, and just leave it assembed.
I have a birthday coming up... :D :D :D :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sure Blaine! I guess my Birthday gift from you is still in the mail? Only a day late......:twisted:
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote:Frank, it might also be the same for the 10mm but having never seen any chronograph results with the 10mm in a carbine, I just don't know. That is why I recommended using #9, or for that matter #7 or Power Pistol as anyone of them might offer the best results with the 10mm data I have from software predictions. I agree with your summation on the 9mm though.
Here's some more on that - there has been a ballistics test of the 10mm MechTech unit by Shootingthebull410 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiOLTN_320c.

As far as the 9mm, see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY4iFl82WiA

Here's a general review I don't know if I posted before or not - http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/1 ... ech-c-c-u/.

SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Good to know they are approved by the ATF, I was worried about the classification.
I bet one in 460 Rowlands would be a stomp-er.

Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another interesting review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYMCQyUVkMg. This one shows the innards and it looks well designed (haven't had mine that far apart yet).

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, thanks for the links. I was shocked at how well the 10mm gained out of a carbine. :shock: Wow! Sure would make a dandy cartridge in a lever gun it would seem. Hmmmm. -Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Went out today and just fast-fired two 20-rounders at the 24" 15-yard gong. No failures to feed (mixed ammo), but one of the rounds shot off one of the wires it hangs from, so couldn't count hits after that. :lol:

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

but one of the rounds shot off one of the wires it hangs from, so couldn't count hits after that. :lol:
My best friend once made an unrepeatable shot into one of the arms of my chronograph with his BFR in 454 Casull. I still rag him about that to this day... :lol:

Regards my friend, :D

-Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just found a Hickock45 review of the MechTech using a Glock 'lower'...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just came across this 10mm review....sorry if it is a repeat, but I don't think I saw it before.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... -test/amp/

minish
Levergunner

Post by minish »

Ballistics by the inch shows a 200-300 fps gain for 9mm in a carbine length barrel in a few real world guns.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice, can't imagine having that much fun. 16" 9mm Contender barrel chronoed 1330-1380 fps with R-P and S-B 115gr bullets in factory loads. My 18" 45auto Contender barrel averages 1050fps with Lee 255gr bullet with HS7 and am better than a full grain under max. Tho factory W-W 230gr only picked 50fps.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I can't use a MechTech upper...

They don't fit on an Officer's size lower. :cry:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Old Ironsights wrote:A decade or two ago, you could get a single shot upper like that that would take a .308...
I'dlike the one that turns the 1911 into a 10-12" single shot pistol in 223.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!