M-1 carbine and Mini-14 musings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

M-1 carbine and Mini-14 musings

Post by wecsoger »

Always had the hots for the old classic M-1 carbine. Looked at 'em over the years but never committed.

Latest go around is the so-called Inland new reproduction manufacture.

Once I started doing more research, I'm still not convinced, especially once I started comparing to the Ruger mini-14.

(somewhere, someplace I know there's some AR platform guy already pounding on his keyboard!)

............M-1 carbine.....Mini-14
length.....35.75".............38"
barrel........18".............18.5"
weight.....5 lb 3 oz.........7 lb

so essentially, same size weapon

M-1 carbine mags have always been problematic and sometimes v. expensive. TAPCO has highly rate gen II synthetic 30 round mag at$17 per

M-1 110gr round, 967 ft/lbs. 5.56 SS109 round rated at 1303 ft/lbs.

M-1 carbine has never been highly rated for reliability. After-market mags have been the only problems I've ever had in the Mini-14 world.

Throw some after-market sights on the Mini-14 to increase accuracy, make it same as or better than the M-1

Old collectible M-1's I've seen are selling for a kilo-buck or more, the new manufacture ones are list at $1000-$1100.

I saw a plain Jane Mini-14 in the rotary at my local wally world just recently at $785.

So, I'm not really contemplating any new purchases for now.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: M-1 carbine and Mini-14 musings

Post by Les Staley »

The M1 carbine ship has sailed a generation ago. When we were kids in high school you could buy them thru the DCM for about $20. Designed as a replacement/substitute for pistols in the military, officers and other support personnel were armed with them. My dad carried one in a radio car in the South Pacific, receiving fire direction from the front and relaying the coordinates to a battery of 105 howitzers. He said he never fired it in anger, but made up for it by raining down tons of explosives on the Japs. I got one from an old retired friend, and my wife and one daughter killed whitetails with it at close range. I still have that "hand stamp" Inland. Sometime I'll tell you about Ruger's only complete fiasco, the Mini 14. JMHO. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've had a bunch of Mini-14's over the years. They are a good, reliable rifle and are the cheaper to shoot when compared the M1 shooting factory ammo. I don't have any Mini's now.

The M1 carbine is a ball, and kind of in a class by itself. When one is un-molested, and doesn't have worn out springs and magazines, they are very reliable and shoot surprisingly well. That said, there is no free lunch, stick with a G.I. version.
The best solution I have found to the magazines is the current production Korean examples. They are an exact copy of G.I. (other than finish), including some of the manufacturer codes. I haven't bought any in a few years but they were only like 6 bucks for the 15's and $12 for the thirty's. They run perfect in my
Inland from 7-44.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i had only one Ruger Mini 14 and i sold it as i became frustrated at the accuracy issue i had with it. it functioned flawlessly and proved to be very reliable but i could not keep it within an 8" target at 100 yards...

M1 Carbine? never owned one...but i did get issued one compliments of the US Army. it was issue weapon when i was sent to Thailand at beginning of war in VN. accurate and reliable in jungle. there are conflicting accounts of it's performance in the frozen clime of Korea, though; but it must also be remembered that MOST equipment suffered in performance in that environment.

as has been stated on MANY occasions, the M1 Carbine was NOT designed or intended to replace the M1 Garand as the MBR of the US military of the day. i had two friends who carried, and used, the M1 Carbine thru Europe during WWII and had nothing negative to say about it; it is designed for CLOSE engagements against LIGHTLY protected personnel.

those who doubt the capabilities of the M1 Carbine need to look up the statistics of German, Japanese, Korean and VC/NVA who fell by way of the M1 Carbine.

too many times, folks want to compare the M1 Carbine to the M1 Garand, the M-14 or other high powered, semi-automatic rifles...no comparison.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Before you spring for a new Inland dig around the net. Many of the reviews are not flattering as to reliability. :shock:
Merle from PA
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've owned a dozen or so Mini-14s and none of them would come up to my (or anyone elses) standard for accuracy. I've glass bedded, scope sighted and reworked triggers all to no avail. While in the US Armey I was issued a Winchester M-2 which would hold in about 6 or 8 inches at a hundred yards. I killed a lot of armadillos with it but never really warmed up to it. At that time I was shooting a 92 converted to 357 and much preferred it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

The little M1 is much handier than a Mini-14 in my opinion. I had one of the Universal knockoffs for few years when I was hunting feral dogs. With 311316HPGC cast bullets it put down dogs reliably. I was pushing them to about 1900fps with 296/H110. The best it ever did from the bench was about 3.5" at 100 yards and that was a fluke, 4.5" was far more typical. I never shot a critter with it past about 60 yards. Good gun for fast close work but once I was done with the dogs it went down the road.
I have very little experience with Mini-14s other than borrowing other peoples at the range so can offer no comment on them other than they are noticeably larger than the carbine.

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Mini-14 is a great and reliable design, but most are not too accurate. My friends, family, and self have probably owned 15 or 20 over the past forty years, and SOME have been very accurate. Dunno why the M-14 is so much more accurate since it is the same design.

I'd like to have a Mini-14 in 300 Blackout though...and THAT might really compare more directly to the M-1 Carbine.

I do think that a Mini-14 really IS the ultimate 'truck gun'. I know an AR-15 can 'do everything better', but just can't bring myself to abuse and neglect one in that manner.

There are companies that will make your Mini-14 into a sub-MOA rifle if you do desire, by re-barreling and bedding the action. Lots of money though.

I put a barrel-clamp thing on mine that shrink groups 50% or so, and have thought about an adjustable gas block. But it's 'niche' is NOT really the hit-a-golfball-at-a-hundred-yards one anyway. Within the 223 realm, if I had to bet my life on a first-shot-hit it a golfball at 100 yards, I'd have my ten-pound Savage bolt action in the Ultimate Sniper stock, and 10-40x scope. If there were lots of goofballs I'd use my almost-as-heavy AR bull-barrel setup, but if I had to run around and carry the weapon with me, possibly engaging moving or closer targets, I'd go for a regular AR-15 kind of setup OR a Mini-14. The modularity and compactness of the AR would probably win out.

So sadly, the Mini-14 is relegated to 'truck gun' status, losing out to the AR 'platform'.

But I think if you look at ammunition options, and overall rugged design, Ruger makes a superior firearm versus the slightly lighter M-1 Carbine. Their older style sights are awesome.

If you want a gun that 'may have been at Normandy' though, get an M-1 Garand or Carbine...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a vintage QM M1 carbine that my Dad picked up at some point after he came back from Korea, and a Mini-14 that I purchased back in... 1983...? Same year I bought my 336ER.

Both the M1 carbine and the Mini-14 are accurate and reliable shooters. I witnessed my Dad drop a dozen or so deer with the M1 carbine, and I have killed literally hundreds of coyotes with the Mini-14.

I've not yet found a 110gr ball ammo that the M1 carbine doesn't shoot well. My Dad was a machine with it. The Mini-14 shoots well but just a bit different depending on what ammo is used. If I recall, it shoots better with any 5.56 ball than it does with any .223. Still, the Mini-14 will touch a jack-rabbit or a varmint coyote at 100yds like a bolt of lightning.

These guns don't get out of the closet as much as they used to, but I've no doubt that they are still terrific utility guns. If I didn't rotate my Marlin 1894CS and my Model 94 Trapper as truck guns, I'd feel confident with either one of these. Rock solid.

It's likely that I will never sell or otherwise get rid of either one of them.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a pair of M1 Carbines . Both were refit for Korea , ones an Inland I believe and the others a Winchester . My father and grandfather bought them thru the NRA in 1962 I think for the astronomical price of $12.50 plus $2.50 shipping each .

The Winchester was my pops and the Inland my grandfathers . My grandfather loved that little rifle and killed a pile of turkey with it . He always carried a clip with Norma 110 soft nosed and a clip with FMJ's , he used the FMJ's on turkey .

I'd like to add another to the group . I would like to find one that was never changed out for Korea . One without the bayonet lug and the later rear sight . Preferrably another Winchester or a Saginaw .

Think I have something like 2000 rounds of recent manufacture ammo and I'd say half FMJ and half SP .

I wanted a Mini 14 when they first hit the market and were unobtainable . Once they were easily obtained I no longer wanted one . I think MSRP on them when they first came out was $225 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Mini-14 Keeper. factory iron sights. Bottom of target 25 yards, adjusting sights. Top target 50 yards.
A week after this was taken I replaced both the front & rear sights. Front sight is now a Choate replacement. The rear is a Tec-sight replacement, similar to a M-14 rear sight.
The two fliers are my bad, or a heated barrel. This is a stock barrel and furniture. The way the piece shoots I will not attempt to bed the stock or free float the barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lefty Dude on Sun May 15, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

This is a two shot group after I replaced the sights and using Factory Remington 223 solids. The distance is 50 yards. This was the first two shots out of the cold barrel, and before I completed the final rear sight adjustment. After looking in the spotting scope and seeing one hole, I increased the power and saw the double.

I have had three Mini-14's in the past 30 years, this is the best one of the bunch. I bought it pre-owned from a Friend last year for $450.00. it set in his gun safe since 1989, fired maybe 20 rounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30