For No Particular Reason, Or Need---92FS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

For No Particular Reason, Or Need---92FS

Post by Blaine »

I was in The Toy Store yesterday, and a Beretta 92FS caught my eye. They are just about giving away 9mm ball these days....I'm trying my best to hide my own truck keys, but it's not that easy....
Can anyone talk me out of it? :oops: ( I don't need another EDC, just would like to have a cheap to operate a full size plinker)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Re: For No Particular Reason, Or Need---92FS

Post by Ragnor »

I too visited the Toy Store last week and came home with S&W 5906. You work, you deserve it. Sorry, not much help to talk you out of it. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Talk you out of it ! You came to the wrong place.... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Blaine, just keep repeating "It's only a nine", "It's only a nine".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Wish I could help, but I've never had a particular desire for a "9" and yet a Ruger P95DC somehow found it's way into my gun cabinet a couple weeks ago.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Everybody needs at least one full size 9mm. The reasons are many.
NRA Life Member
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

…and the Beretta 92 has a proven track record as being a very reliable pistol.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

BlaineG wrote:I was in The Toy Store yesterday, and a Beretta 92FS caught my eye. They are just about giving away 9mm ball these days........just would like to have a cheap to operate a full size plinker)
My poison was a Glock 17....
This, after I swore I would never buy a Glock, after I swore I would not have another plastic gun, and after I claimed to be all finished with the 9mm cartridge.

A hundred bucks worth of chrome doo-dads later it was keeping ball ammo in surprising small groups.

The next challenge is to replace the factory barrel and get home cast bullet handloads to shoot as well and cheaper than the stupid prices that .22 ammo fetches now.

I've plain given up on ever seeing .22 ammo as cheap and available as before the pretender seized power.

Jack
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Do it -- a collection of militaria would not be complete without a copy of the current service pistol.

they can be darn accurate too ---- just dont shoot extended strings of MP-5 spec ammo out of them :oops: :oops:

(they have a big grip frame though -- if you have the mitts for it, they're awesome )
----- Doug
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

They don't fit my hand. YMMV

I've been bitten by the Glock bug. After I messed with Jr's a little I kind of got fascinated by it. They just work, every time. The G19 is probably the most popular everywhere and it has recently been the prize pick of the USMC.

Just sayin.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I can understand a 9, but a Berreta? As someone who gets issued the M9, that is probably the last pistol would choose for a personal gun. I've qualified expert no problem, but I absolutely despise the upside down backwards decocker on it, or any pistol for that matter. And of course you know my personal choice is a Glock. If I wanted something with cool factor I would prob look for a Browning High Power. Other than that the Glock and XD are the only two options I consider practical.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Blaine,
If you like it buy it. I was never a lover of the 9 but there several of them hanging around here. My favorite is a Walther P-1. Just like a P-38 but with an aluminum frame.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

It's a fun pistol. Full sized, very little recoil. I like the 20rd MecGar magazines.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Go for it. One can never have to many quality guns. I have not owned a Beretta but have several handguns that chamber the 9mm round. I keep around 1500 rounds on hand so I don't run short on ammo for them.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CraigC wrote:It's a fun pistol. Full sized, very little recoil. I like the 20rd MecGar magazines.

That SS is pretty darn sharp. :mrgreen:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm worse than an old woman when I go shopping....I've been back and forth to the Toy Store, and burning the midnight oil on web sites.
It doesn't have adjustable sights. I promised myself never again, and it's about a 100 bucks to add them as an accessory... :(
Looking at revolvers today... :lol: :lol: Maybe a 686...I already load for .357, and 38 spc....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Couldn't get rid of the one I had fast enough. Worst auto I've ever owned.
Rarely got through a full mag without a FTF, especially if it was cold out.
Like what was said above, if you want a cool 9 get a Hi Power!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote:Couldn't get rid of the one I had fast enough. Worst auto I've ever owned.

jb 8)
:shock: They sure are real proud of them HiPowers. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I picked up a 92FS about 7 years ago. I've never had a problem with it. I like the big grip.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CraigC wrote:It's a fun pistol. Full sized, very little recoil. I like the 20rd MecGar magazines.

OOh, I love those grips. Aftermarket? If so, from whom? :mrgreen:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote:Couldn't get rid of the one I had fast enough. Worst auto I've ever owned.

jb 8)

After my active duty time was up, i was re- MOS'ed as a unit armorer for a local reserve unit --- i didnt do anything trick --- but once we got in 5 match tuned 92's for an upcoming competition ----- I was a believer then -- Those things would shoot ! --- but sounds like you got a bad magazine (or who knows - poorly profiled feed ramps or something - i cant say )

I cant believe i havent gotten a 92 myself -- but in my civilian life, i just havent been interested in shooting 9mm -and the grip is not my favorite ---- that said, that stainless one here in the thread with the rosewood grips sure is an eye catcher :)

I'm 75% a revolver guy though , and i would have a tough time with a choice between a 92 and a new production 686 if i were Blaine --- i'd probably still get the '92 and hold out for a pre-lock 686 later . In these uncertain times, i dont think people are really targeting the 6 shooters, single shots and lever guns much in a "gun grab/ban" scenario -- but who knows -- Hillary wants em all
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Streetstar wrote:

jb 8)

After my active duty time was up, i was re- MOS'ed as a unit armorer for a local reserve unit --- i didnt do anything trick --- but once we got in 5 match tuned 92's for an upcoming competition ----- I was a believer then -- Those things would shoot ! --- but sounds like you got a bad magazine (or who knows - poorly profiled feed ramps or something - i cant say )

I cant believe i havent gotten a 92 myself -- but in my civilian life, i just havent been interested in shooting 9mm -and the grip is not my favorite ---- that said, that stainless one here in the thread with the rosewood grips sure is an eye catcher :)

I'm 75% a revolver guy though , and i would have a tough time with a choice between a 92 and a new production 686 if i were Blaine --- i'd probably still get the '92 and hold out for a pre-lock 686 later . In these uncertain times, i dont think people are really targeting the 6 shooters, single shots and lever guns much in a "gun grab/ban" scenario -- but who knows -- Hillary wants em all
I just "found"... (remembered) a 50th Anaverseary .357 BH......It has to go back to Ruger for work....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Oooh, congrats. My 6 1/2" .357 BH is one of my favorite shooters. Almost didn't buy it because I wanted a shorter barrel, but don't regret it at all. What barrel length did you get?
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Don't sweat it Blaine, I do the same thing.

I've got a Glock 21SF that i use as a house gun. A guy at work wants it for his dad and i told him i would swap him for a Glock 19.

I'm not sure why.... :?

I guess cause it would be something i could carry if i wanted (the 21 is big). It's cheap to shoot. It would be easier for my wife to handle.
Thing is, I'm really not a big Glock guy but............maybe cause it's spring. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

OldWin wrote:Don't sweat it Blaine, I do the same thing.

I've got a Glock 21SF that i use as a house gun. A guy at work wants it for his dad and i told him i would swap him for a Glock 19.

I guess cause it would be something i could carry if i wanted (the 21 is big). It's cheap to shoot. It would be easier for my wife to handle.
Thing is, I'm really not a big Glock guy but............maybe cause it's spring. :D
When I brought home the first G17 and the wife and daughter shot it, I was a believer. The increase in confidence and shooting was amazing in comparison to the 1911 and a sp101. The fact that they could just pick it up and not worry about an external safety and the low recoil impulse made them nearly instantly better shooters. While it's true that practice makes you better, that's not always practical or going to happen. When a gun has the ability to improve a persons shooting that dramatically simply due to its design and function why would you NOT choose it over something more complex requiring more time spent training with it to have the same level of ability?

I'll say it again, I find the design and function of the Berreta to be one of the most impractical pistols I have ever used, but for a toy I'm sure it's fine. How well it shoots is really irrelevant to me.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
OldWin wrote:Don't sweat it Blaine, I do the same thing.

When I brought home the first G17 and the wife and daughter shot it, I was a believer. The increase in confidence and shooting was amazing in comparison to the 1911 and a sp101. The fact that they could just pick it up and not worry about an external safety and the low recoil impulse made them nearly instantly better shooters. While it's true that practice makes you better, that's not always practical or going to happen. When a gun has the ability to improve a persons shooting that dramatically simply due to its design and function why would you NOT choose it over something more complex requiring more time spent training with it to have the same level of ability?

I'll say it again, I find the design and function of the Berreta to be one of the most impractical pistols I have ever used, but for a toy I'm sure it's fine. How well it shoots is really irrelevant to me.
I've mentioned before that my Daughter picked up my Glock 30S (.45) and shot it really, really accurately. Recoil didn't bother her a bit.
A full size 9 would be more formidable "toy" than a .22 Mag, A good plinker, and cheaper to shoot, and reloadable in a pinch.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Streetstar wrote:

jb 8)

I had 8 magazines. No difference.
Shouldn't have to be Match Tuned to function properly. Obviously I had a bad one.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

The grips are from VZ in "black cherry". I've got some gorgeous Herrett's cocobolo grips for it but they're a bit too thick.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I will try and help.

To me the 92 always felt like holding the wrong end of a baseball bat. And I don't have small hands.

I owned one ever so briefly, handling the estate of a good friend (selling off the handguns anyway). It was his favorite pistol, which meant a lot to me. :cry: And I could have had it for a song. And I still didn't keep it, I dislike them that much. :lol:
Slow is just slow.