Pawn Shop: 1939 Winchester 94 in 32WS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Pawn Shop: 1939 Winchester 94 in 32WS

Post by MacEntyre »

Found a 1939 Winchester 94 chambered in 32 WS, in pretty good condition, at a pawn shop. Bore looked great, very clean, smooth action, light trigger, missing front sight hood. Would have been much more interested if it hadn't had a tag with "$700" on it...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pawn Shop: 1939 Winchester 94 in 32WS

Post by TedH »

That doesn't seem too unreasonable. They'd likely dicker some too.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

From all those episodes of "Pawn Stars", they only like to give ½ the retail value... so they've got LOTS of wiggle room. Take CASH... several crisp $100 notes.... Start at 3 and stop @ 5... slowly! From there, never add more'n a fifty... and twenties'd do nicely!

Also, bores are nice... but it's really the outside condition that adds value.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

From the examples that I have seen, pre-war Winchesters do command a premium.

But if you really want to see sticker shock, look at the prices for pre-war Winchester M64 deluxe in .32 Spec'l. or .30WCF. And if you happen to see a M64 deluxe in .219 Zipper, look at the price tag with only one eye, that way the price will look only half as bad....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Griff, I have an old friend that grew up with my father that owned a pawn shop in town for many years. He came right out and told me exactly that one time. He wouldn't give more than half what he thought he could sell something for.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TedH wrote:Griff, I have an old friend that grew up with my father that owned a pawn shop in town for many years. He came right out and told me exactly that one time. He wouldn't give more than half what he thought he could sell something for.
And that's for something they think will move relatively quickly.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Do you have anything you might want to use as trade-in value for it? I have never seen a pawn shop yet that doesn't work a deal with you. I do like the idea of walking in with 5 $100s and a couple of twenties. All businesses have to move the stock or they can't stay in business, and cash on the counter top is a big motivator when you are in business for yourself.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Offer $500 if they come back at a little less than the tag price you can offer to split the difference.
If the finish is good you would be into it for what they sell for here. :wink:
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

If you are seriously thinking about purchasing this firearm, I suggest that you ask the pawnshop if they will take it outside in bright sunlight and let you examine it.

Buyers often are very surprised the amount of defects that sunlight will reveal.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Anyone near Waldoboro Jewelry & Pawn on US 1 in Waldoboro, ME -- I don't know the vintage, but when I was in there last week they had an older 94 in .32 WS for $395. Rather blue-worn and very "pawnshop dirty", but looked mechanically very good.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Pisgah wrote:...an older 94 in .32 WS for $395. Rather blue-worn and very "pawnshop dirty", but looked mechanically very good.
The one I'm looking at appears to have been used little, stuck in the safe a lot. I don't know how else a 75 year old rifle can stay in such good shape, cosmetically.

I like the idea of taking 3 Ben Franklins, a Grant and a few Andrew Jacksons, and looking at it in the sunlight

Can't pay too much... gotta leave some money for dies and components. Got a lot of 32s, but nothing that uses .321 bullets.

This could be my poor man's 8mm... ;)

Thanks!

- MacEntyre
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

piller wrote:Do you have anything you might want to use as trade-in value for it?
Gosh, I puzzled over this, and was surprised to find that nothing I have is worth as little as I want to give for this 32, except a Marlin 30-TK that my daughter likes a lot. Maybe I will trade it anyway, and give her my Marlin 336 Texan. ;)

If they would take the 30-TK and $100, I would be real happy!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I bought a 32 when I was young and have used it with good success on whitetails. It is harder to find ammo but its around and I recommend you stock up. ( Saw a bunch in Washington state) I have found the Hornady flat point is a great deer bullet. The 32 is also one of the easiest cast bullet rifles I ever worked with.
I can't give you a reason not to buy it :wink:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I picked this 59 vintage 94 Carbine in 32 W.S., eight years ago for $300.00, but prices continue to rise. I bought if from Griffin and Howe of all places. It is like new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

MacEntyre wrote: The one I'm looking at appears to have been used little, stuck in the safe a lot. I don't know how else a 75 year old rifle can stay in such good shape, cosmetically.

- MacEntyre
Mac, if you're describing a 94 "safe queen" that's a far cry from "pretty good condition" you said in your opening post. If that prewar 94 is a safe queen, or nearly so, you better stop jabbering here, grab $700, and buy that Winchester as fast as you can. A 1939 prewar 94 safe queen is worth A LOT more than $700! Being that it is at a pawn shop you can figure at least a little under $700 anyway. BUY IT! Post pics!
Last edited by mod71alaska on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Charles wrote:I picked this 59 vintage 94 Carbine in 32 W.S., eight years ago for $300.00, but prices continue to rise. I bought if from Griffin and Howe of all places. It is like new.

8 years ago was right at the end of "the good ol' days" when pre-64 and prewar Winchester prices still were quite reasonable. The closing of Winchester in New Haven, CT changes everything, and since then vintage Winchester prices have increased substantially. You bought your like new pre-64 94 at the right time. Good find!
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I don't think you will get it for less than $600. If you get it for less than that, you're stealing it, and I don't think the chance for stealing it from a pawn shop is very high. $700 does seem to be the going price.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

mod71alaska wrote: Mac, if you're describing a 94 "safe queen" that's a far cry from "pretty good condition" you said in your opening post.
BUY IT! Post pics!
Maybe I will take a 1941 Savage 99 to trade...

I'll see what I can do, and let you know.

Thanks!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I may be preaching to the choir, but FWIW:

Please keep in mind, "Money talks & B.S. walks" - DO NOT make a verbal offer ! !

Just tell the shop owner (ask for him), not a clerk, and tell him that you'd like to own that gun while you lay either cash or cash + trade on the counter - then keep yer mouth closed until he responds.

I've waited almost five minutes for a response (which seems like an eternity) because I know that the basic principle in bargaining is "he who speaks first, loses".

Good Luck !

(Awaiting the pics...... :mrgreen: )

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Pete44ru wrote: Just tell the shop owner ...
Well, I don't think it would have worked.

The pawn shop is under new management by an Asian family. The young man who handles gun sales asked his mother if they could trade for my rifle plus cash, and she looked at me and said, "No. Go sell your gun somewhere else."

He offered to sell me his gun for $630 plus tax.

It was a waste of time. Oh, well...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:From all those episodes of "Pawn Stars", they only like to give ½ the retail value... so they've got LOTS of wiggle room. Take CASH... several crisp $100 notes.... Start at 3 and stop @ 5... slowly! From there, never add more'n a fifty... and twenties'd do nicely!

Also, bores are nice... but it's really the outside condition that adds value.
That's about my thoughts also. 5 c notes is tops unless the gun was exceptionally minty.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Sixgun wrote: That's about my thoughts also. 5 c notes is tops unless the gun was exceptionally minty.---6
After close inspection, I would call it exceptionally minty... I'm just not willing to pay $677.25 to get it out the door.

Edit: I might visit the Mamma tomorrow and see if she will walk away from cash on the counter, the way you'uns have suggested.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Well, she was a different lady today. She was there with two different young fellows, so we started from scratch. Got away with the rifle for $599 plus tax, total $640, which is $10 more than the fellow turned down yesterday!

Off to make some pictures... stand by!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Here's a slide show: http://s98.photobucket.com/user/MacEnty ... Teeth/9432

You can see the flaws showing that it's not really 'exceptionally minty'... someone set it in wet grass in a meadow, rusted the butt plate and water damaged the finish a little. It has some dings. But it is in pretty good shape for a 1939 shooter.

I found a label under the butt plate... hard to read... I think it says "Howson". The rear sight wedge looks brand new. It was real dirty. After I cleaned inside the receiver and the magazine, it works a lot better. When I find a hammer spring, it will be all set!

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

A very nice rifle. My nice 1950s 94 was about the same price, specially after shipping and taxes, with a Lyman steel 66.

The 32 Special is a dandy! It is not that pipsqueak 30 WCF! :twisted:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, it looks like your a happy camper now! Yea, there's not much that more pleasing than coming home with a nice rifle. You done well. As that's a pre-war, you will notice that the tang is factory d&t for a tang sight, so.....get moving young man and pop an old Lyman on there!

That gun will handle cast real well....170 RCBS gas check over 20 grains of 5744 and you can shoot all day for $5 :D --------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Sixgun wrote:As that's a pre-war, you will notice that the tang is factory d&t for a tang sight, so.....get moving young man and pop an old Lyman on there!
I noticed that... and since the rear sight wedge is new, I will wager a brand new penny that for most of it's life, it had an old Lyman, and no rear sight... someone sold them separately.

I don't like a levergun without a peep, and a tang sight is my favorite.
Sixgun wrote:That gun will handle cast real well....170 RCBS gas check over 20 grains of 5744 and you can shoot all day for $5 :D --------6
From a friend who is into 8mm, I got a hundred gas checked, 181 grain, lead flat nose .321 bullets, as well as a hundred jacketed, lead nose, 170 grain .321 bullets. Just need to find a die set, and I will load them up.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

very nice Looking old Winchester, well worth all the time spent thinking bout it
my old 32 WS likes a cast bullet very well

ollogger
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You did very well. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I solicited a lesson from a forum member in technical terminology, including "exceptionally minty"...

Please accept my apologies for agreeing to a term whose meaning I did not know. :oops:

I'll stick with "pretty good", which is a North Carolina superlative. :mrgreen:
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

The buttplate on that carbine is more rare than most..my dad bought one new in 1945 when he got back from the South Pacific ..it had been languishing in the hardware in Charlevoix Michigan throughout the war..paid $46.00. My kid brother got the gun when dad died..I finally found one with the same buttplate in about the same condition as yours in a pawn shop in Spokane Wa. It's my favorite 94 carbine..wears a Marble tang sight..kills deer certifiable graveyard dead. Nice gun, MacEntyre...
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Les Staley wrote:The buttplate on that carbine is more rare than most...
I didn't know that. I prefer the crescent butt, or the curved modern butt... this one is nearly straight.
Les Staley wrote:Nice gun, MacEntyre...
Thank you very much!

I might shoot it today.

edit: raining steady... no chance to shoot!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Sixgun wrote:...get moving young man and pop an old Lyman on there!
While I am hunting an old Lyman, this one will do.

Ahhh... looks much better now. :D