Baikal combination gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Baikal combination gun

Post by Stan in SC »

I have been thinking for some time about owning one firearm which conceiveably could be used for all types of hunting A "ONE" gun if you will.
In line with this thinking I have done a lot of research and read a heck of a lot of user reviews on various models.
I had to be mindful of usefulness and of course budget considerations and came to the conclusion that a Russian made Baikal combination model MP-94 would fill the bill.The configuration of shotgun over rifle seems good.I decided on a 12 gauge over .308 and placed the order with the local gun shop on Tuesday.The gun was in distributor stock and should be here probably Friday.
I am still figuring what scope I will use.Since most of my deer hunting is in thick woods here in South Carolina I will probably use a medium power variable such as a 1-5X.
I will post more here after I receive the gun.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Baikal combination gun

Post by .45colt »

Like waiting to open a Gift on Christmas....Oooo Baby..Range Report. :mrgreen: .
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hope your happy with it. Always liked how they felt when handling them in the stores. You couldn't ask for 2 better rounds.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have several: 12/223 ; 12/308 ; and 12/7.62 x 39....... all in all i think they make pretty cool all around and survival guns. they even offer them with 30/06, 6.5x55, snd even the old 7.62 x 54R russian round, which would be nice as well.

good luck, you will enjoy it.
cable
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

hfcable wrote:i have several: 12/223 ; 12/308 ; and 12/7.62 x 39....... all in all i think they make pretty cool all around and survival guns. they even offer them with 30/06, 6.5x55, snd even the old 7.62 x 54R russian round, which would be nice as well.

If I had known that when I was in Fairbanks last June, would've rode down to Anchorage with some ammo.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

3leggedturtle wrote:
hfcable wrote:i have several: 12/223 ; 12/308 ; and 12/7.62 x 39....... all in all i think they make pretty cool all around and survival guns. they even offer them with 30/06, 6.5x55, snd even the old 7.62 x 54R russian round, which would be nice as well.

If I had known that when I was in Fairbanks last June, would've rode down to Anchorage with some ammo.
would be fun! :)
cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you could only have one, you picked a good "one"..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Germans use drillings for much the same reason, their estate owners/land managers don't necessarily know what they're going to run into that needs culling, so they'll have a shotgun and rifle at the same time. Usually twin 12s or 16s over a serious rifle round (8mm Mauser, 9.3mm, etc).
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Same thing by Winchester: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =333971329

I've always wanted one by Blaser: http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?id=277&L=1

Or get the three shooter: http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?id=54&L=1

A bit more money perhaps! :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

For a few years I carried a Savage 24 in 12/22hornet. Handy bit of kit!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

olyinaz wrote:Same thing by Winchester: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =333971329

I've always wanted one by Blaser: http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?id=277&L=1

Or get the three shooter: http://www.blaser-usa.com/index.php?id=54&L=1

A bit more money perhaps! :lol:
Oh hell yes.
I don't even need to look at the price to know it's way out of my budget, but hell. yes.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I picked up the gun today. It really looks good. Fit and finish are very good. The action is tight tight. This is normal according to the reviews and it will loosen up nicely with use. Wood is dark just like I like it and the checkering is very good.
It has sling swivels front and rear.
Overall I am very pleased with the gun and will shoot it in the next few days.

Stan in SC

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Stan in SC wrote:I picked up the gun today. It really looks good. Fit and finish are very good. The action is tight tight. This is normal according to the reviews and it will loosen up nicely with use. Wood is dark just like I like it and the checkering is very good.
It has sling swivels front and rear.
Overall I am very pleased with the gun and will shoot it in the next few days.

Stan in SC
here was a quote from a happy owner with the same combo you have:

" I have a Baikal IZH-94 O/U in 12 gauge/.308 Win & it is a good looking & solidly built gun & comes in at considerably less than $1000.

The .308 Winchester barrel in my IZH-94 gives me 3/4" groups with the 180 grain Nosler spitzer Federal High Energy ammo.......that's better accuracy than some of my bolt action rifles !!!!

The Baikal is a high quality gun that people who have never even held one in their hands like to verbally denigrate like they do the Rossi firearms "

and here is a nice article discussing these guns, twist rates, accuracy,etc.:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/baikal.html
cable
stinson
Levergunner

Post by stinson »

I have one in 12/7X57R, a bit of a handloading proposition, although Graf probably imports cartridges for it. Haven't used it much, but it shoots OK. It's blocky, and heavy, and built like a tank. I think that's the Russian way. Seems like I only have to look at it to make it rust, though - really need to keep on top of it. It's a reasonable survival gun, and, of course, can be broken down and stowed in the back of a plane. You're not going to find a less expensive combo gun, and if its rather coarse construction is not a concern, a pretty good value. Don't know how factory/distributor service is, and hope not to have to find out.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Good looking and practical, but When I go to break them, it fails to open with the effort I would expect. What's up with that? I do have a 12 ga. shotgun of theirs. It's not too hard open.

Owen
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've looked at those Bakails. If I had money/were in t buying mode I'd get one in 12/7.62x54R... because 54R is still comparatively cheap, and I can get adapters to shoot more 7.62 rimless cartridges through it than I can to get the 54R to work in a .308 chamber.

My biggest issue with them is asthetics. I just don't care for the "seperated barrel" look.

But I'd still buy one in the calibers mentioned. It would be a great partner to my 16x16/9.3x72R drilling (low pressure antique).

Ditto for the Savage .410/.22.

(I'm actually kind of a nut for Combo guns. I dream of making a 16x16/.45 Muzzlestuffer using "underhammer tech" for the .45 rifle barrel...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have one in 12/6.5x55. I have been very happy with it. It works great hunting in the Fl swamps, and since we have a fall turkey season that is concurrent with deer season you can be ready for anything.
only problem is finding a scope mount that works well as the dovetail on mine is 11 mm.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

hfcable wrote:they even offer them with 30/06, 6.5x55
I had my grubby mitts on a 12/6.5 in a shop 3-4 years ago and this describes it perfectly:
stinson wrote:It's blocky, and heavy, and built like a tank. I think that's the Russian way.
Yeah, it was rough as a cob (finished about like a Yugo AK) and very stiff to open but it's one I should have grabbed since I like the 6.5, don't mind the 12ga (I'm fast becoming a 16ga homer :mrgreen: ) and Russian firearms don't bother me. At the price point, I know what I am getting and they generally run with a minimum of maintenance.
stinson wrote:I have one in 12/7X57R, a bit of a handloading proposition, although Graf probably imports cartridges for it.
Oooooh, I'd like a 7x57R someday! As much as I like the 7x57, the R would fit nicely in the safe! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

wolfdog,
I failed to mention that the scope mounting rail is 11MM.Too small for regular rings but luckily I had a brand new set in my "possibles" box.

Stan in SC

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I have one in 12gauge over 30-06. Bought it fairly inexpensively about 3 years ago. The 30-06 barrel is suprisingly accurate.

I mounted an older fixed Weaver 3x on the metric sight rail using good old American Weaver 22 rimfire Dovetail mounts. 11mm is slightly larger than 3/8" but the mounts have enough play to fit over the rail and clamp on tightly.

It is an awkward, ugly combination with that scope on. I have a Williams 22 rimfire peep sight (one of the inexpensive ones) that I am going to try on it next. First I will load about 100 proven 30-06 loads, fire a few test groups with the scope on, then try it with the peep sight on instead.

By the way, with the scope mounted with the Weaver tip off rings, I have fired several dozen Remington slug loads, and the mounts are still tight, and in zero.

Good luck.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

junkbug wrote:I have one in 12gauge over 30-06. Bought it fairly inexpensively about 3 years ago. The 30-06 barrel is suprisingly accurate.

I mounted an older fixed Weaver 3x on the metric sight rail using good old American Weaver 22 rimfire Dovetail mounts. 11mm is slightly larger than 3/8" but the mounts have enough play to fit over the rail and clamp on tightly.

It is an awkward, ugly combination with that scope on. I have a Williams 22 rimfire peep sight (one of the inexpensive ones) that I am going to try on it next. First I will load about 100 proven 30-06 loads, fire a few test groups with the scope on, then try it with the peep sight on instead.

By the way, with the scope mounted with the Weaver tip off rings, I have fired several dozen Remington slug loads, and the mounts are still tight, and in zero.

Good luck.

good info.....that is going to be my approach to scope mounting. and good to hear that the mounts stay tight with heavy shotgun loads.
cable
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Old Ironsights wrote:

My biggest issue with them is asthetics. I just don't care for the "seperated barrel" look.
Me too but there is another version with joined barrels:
http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/baikal_izh_mp-94/
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nice. I like that one much better.

20/.223 vs 20/.22WMR would be my pick, but I definitely like the Rifle over Smooth combo better...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Alright, you've convince me.
It was either a bolt action or something like this as my next rifle purchase, so I'm going to have to roll with this in 12g/30-06... And then I'm going get spendy with sub-caliber inserts for the giggles just to make it 'the ultimate do-everything rifle' :D

And that joined barrel assembly just looks... unnessisarily heavy :p
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I already have a .410 insert for the 12 gauge barrel.
Still looking to trade some .243 and 30-06 dies for .308 dies.(See the classifieds here)
Stan in SC

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have a scope on order but today was too good a day not to go to the gun club and shoot the new combo gun.
As I said before the iron sights are pretty rudimentary.Despite that I did pretty well with the gun.I found windage was right on the money but elevation was kinda iffy since the sights were so lacking.I did get a nice grouping with the .308 and wonder of wonders I was able to dead center a bowling pin at 100 yards with a 12 gauge Breneke slug.
I feel that when I get the 1.5-4.5 scope mounted that accuracy will be most acceptable.
I am most pleased with the gun.
Range report after scope received and mounted will most assuredly follow.

Stan in SC

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I got the scope in and mounted and today I managed to get over to the gun club and sight it in.It took me about eight shots to get it 2" inches high at 100 yards which is where I like to sight my hunting rifles with scopes.
The accuracy was very very acceptable for any rifle and especially for this skinny barrel.
I got 2" or so groups at 100 yards and my 150 grain handloads exactly matched point of impact of the factory 150 grain rounds.Several rounds of handloads made figure eights with the point of impact of the factory rounds.
I give the gun a solid nine on a 1 to 10 scale.(I don't think I have ever had but one gun which I gave a ten.)
The gun precisely fills the intended purpose of "one gun".I am quite satisfied with it.

Stan in SC

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

great job! what factory rounds and what handloads were you using?
cable
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I made a comment about not being overly fond of the joined barrel, but I can't help but to think it probably does a decent job of heat distribution and possibly harmonics...
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

hfcable,
I used Remington Core lokt 150 grain rounds and the handloads were 150 grain ballistic tip blems from Midway(no manufacturer id) and the powder charge was 45 grains of IMR4895.It should chrony around 2800FPS.

Stan in SC

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

thanks, i will try that!
cable