348 win reloads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dogman
Levergunner

348 win reloads

Post by dogman »

newbie i have reloaded for years no problems. but new to 348 win about 4 months no problems. sunday i had a hangfire and a complete misfire out of ten loads. load was 50 gr imr 4895 200 gr hornady cci 200 primer bullet was crimped. temp was about 20 degrees. maybe i need magnum primers ?. any help will be appreciated. thanks dogman. ps i no this is not a bear load only need a load for deer thanks again.
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 348 win reloads

Post by Ironwood »

My first thought was oil on the primers.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I had the same problem using CCI primers with several types of powder in the 348. I changed to Winchester LR primers and it solved my problem. I would also try incresing your powder charge and stay away from loads with a lot of airspace.

Mike
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I agree, most people find the Winchester LR primers a bit hotter. Still, you shouldn't have that much trouble with a single base powder. You do probably want a 70% fill or better. I'm not sure where 50 grains of 4895 lands in that regard. I'll have to check QuickLoad on that.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I was using 3031 and RL7 one day when it was 60 degrees both worked fine and several days later the temp dropped to 20 degrees and I started having hangfires with the same loads that were fine before. I have had real good luck with RL7 as long as I use 45.0 grains but when I dropped to 43.0 grains with CCI primers the hangfires started. I ended up pulling the bullets and starting over with WLR primers. I have loaded some with Puff-Lon but I have not had a chance to try them yet, trout season opened.
dogman
Levergunner

Post by dogman »

I had good luck with this load. very accurate in my guns. worked good on deer in nov. thanks for ideas. dogman
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Lymans #45 load book has a accuracy load of 53 grs of IMR4895 for 2450fps from a 24" bbl with the 200 gr hdy. 4895 is temp sensitive I used the above load for years was in the Big Hole elk hunting a few years ago in 0* & 20 below my load was 10-12" low in that temperature. Had some 250 gr bear loads with AA4350 still low now I use RL-15 and am working on RL-17. going to a mag primer will solve some temp problems but not all you have to change powder I prefer extruded powder over ball powder as Snooky Williamson said it was made for winchester rifles. danny
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

QuickLoad says that's 81.6% fill with the Hornady 200 grain seated for a 2.795 OAL. It shows a peak pressure of 32.4kpsi and a muzzle velocity of 2390fps from a 24" barrel. Case water capacity is 75.0 grains with a case length of 2.255".

I've not measured a Hornady bullet to make sure it's the same dimensions that QuickLoad thinks. I usually do that and measure some cases for water capacity before I look at things too closely in QuickLoad.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.