Is it worth becoming an FFL

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Is it worth becoming an FFL

Post by kmittleman »

Hi All,

After buying some guns online, I'm considering become an FFL so I can avoid the fees associated with firearm transfers. Does anyone know if I can become an FFL just for my own buying - is that allowed? Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is it worth becoming an FFL

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I had an FFL for quite a few years just for the reason you state and gave it up for several
reasons.
When Clinton was POTUS they passed a bunch of new rules that made it a pain.
In our county, at least, you must have a store front and post your hours.
I did a few transfers and sales to others but not enough to make it worth the trouble.
And you have to keep a BOUND BOOK with all the info for the feds.
All in all,not worth the hassle for me. :x
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When you closed up shop, where did you send the book to?
I always wanted to know.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I just gave up my 03 C&R FFL, for some of the reasons Chuck said, as well as State laws will effect FFL's also. I my opinion its not worth the hassles and problems with inspections and compliance.

I used to get good deals with the dealer status with some of the big suppliers, but they have really cut back on on dealer pricing, so even with that its not worth it.

Steve
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

IMHO it ain't worth the BS one has to put up with anymore and God knows what stuff is yet to come !

I had thoughts once of getting a C&R for use at home , but they require you to keep an exact log of everything you have and keep it readily available to them .

Also if I'm not mistaken you have to have a store front anymore to get a license .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Mescalero wrote:When you closed up shop, where did you send the book to?
I always wanted to know.
If you have a 01 FFL or one of the other FFL that you are using for a business, then you send them to the ATF.

Steve
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I know several individuals that had to give them up because of the storefront requirement. Bunch of BS.

Kevin
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If you use your C&R to "flip" firearms you have become a "trader" and not a "collector", in the eyes of the law. Selling a firearm, to purchase a better example, of what you are selling is ok. I never got a C&R because of all the potential problems.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

jdad wrote:If you use your C&R to "flip" firearms you have become a "trader" and not a "collector", in the eyes of the law. Selling a firearm, to purchase a better example, of what you are selling is ok. I never got a C&R because of all the potential problems.
There is no problem with "flipping" guns, it's all for your personal collection, that is what the 03 C&R is for. I have had no reservations about buying and selling for better examples in my collection.

I think the problem you are implying, is when you buy and sell to make a profit, then it becomes business and that is not what the 03 C&R is for.

Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have heard of stories about regular, private citizens getting into tax problems for buying and selling at gun shows, if they do so on a regular basis...I can not confirm this.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

SteveR wrote:
jdad wrote:If you use your C&R to "flip" firearms you have become a "trader" and not a "collector", in the eyes of the law. Selling a firearm, to purchase a better example, of what you are selling is ok. I never got a C&R because of all the potential problems.
There is no problem with "flipping" guns, it's all for your personal collection, that is what the 03 C&R is for. I have had no reservations about buying and selling for better examples in my collection.

I think the problem you are implying, is when you buy and sell to make a profit, then it becomes business and that is not what the 03 C&R is for.

Steve
Exactly what I meant. :D I like to shoot 'em until I get bored with 'em and then sell 'em, to find something new and interesting.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Also, FWIW, a proviso of holding an FFL is that BATF can (under the law) make an un-announced "inspection" of your books & premesis, even if it's your domicile.

SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

jdad wrote:
SteveR wrote:

Steve
Exactly what I meant. :D I like to shoot 'em until I get bored with 'em and then sell 'em, to find something new and interesting.
:D I like your style, just too many ones out there to try and why be stuck with a boring one.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Also, FWIW, a proviso of holding an FFL is that BATF can (under the law) make an un-announced "inspection" of your books & premesis, even if it's your domicile.

Not true for a 03 C&R FFL.

Steve
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Mescalero , The FFL manual has an address where to send the book. I don`t remember where though and I have never heard from them since. :?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Mescalero,The FFL manual has the address to send it to. I cant remember just where though, it`s been a bunch of years now. I have never heard anything back from them. :?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have in my mind and I do not know where it came from.
A building in Philedelphia, 3 stories underground, a big depository, and a civil servant named Homer, with coke bottle bottom glasses.
And he could not find what you are looking for if his life depended on it.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Mescalero wrote:When you closed up shop, where did you send the book to?
I always wanted to know.
From the ATF website:

When an FFL discontinues business, the FFL must send their firearms transactions records to the National Tracing Center (NTC). The NTC receives an average of 1.2 million out-of-business records per month and is the only repository for these records within the United States.

Records can be mailed to the NTC or, alternatively, they may be delivered to your local ATF Office in order to comply with laws for surrendering records (which include all bound log books/acquisition & disposition books and computer printouts, ATF Form 4473’s, Theft/Loss Reports, Multiple Sales Reports, and Brady forms).
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had one for a few years. Nope, not worth it
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:I have in my mind and I do not know where it came from.
A building in Philedelphia, 3 stories underground, a big depository, and a civil servant named Homer, with coke bottle bottom glasses.
And he could not find what you are looking for if his life depended on it.
Let's see, was that "Buttle", or "Tuttle" - hmmmmm......

Ever see the movie, "Brazil"...? One of DeNiro's best...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0783225903/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I had a C&R for three years and then I got rid of it. It kept tempting me to buy a lot of junk just because it was cheap.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No,
I have not seen it?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Most of the guns that interest me are the old ones. The C&R has been very nice to have and has saved me some money and a long drive to my FFL who handles the newer guns that C&R doesn't cover.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I gave mine up years ago for those same reasons. If you live in an area that doesn't require a store front and allows you to do business out of your home your home becomes subject to unannounced inspections anytime they feel like it.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

earlmck wrote:Most of the guns that interest me are the old ones. The C&R has been very nice to have and has saved me some money and a long drive to my FFL who handles the newer guns that C&R doesn't cover.

Interesting. So can you buy modern guns off of the web and not have to go through another FFL? Or is it solely for old stuff?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

kmittleman wrote:
earlmck wrote:Most of the guns that interest me are the old ones. The C&R has been very nice to have and has saved me some money and a long drive to my FFL who handles the newer guns that C&R doesn't cover.

Interesting. So can you buy modern guns off of the web and not have to go through another FFL? Or is it solely for old stuff?

-Kevin

If I'm not mistaken a C&R allows you to buy guns on the C&R list that are 50 years old .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had the C&R, and renewed it once, back in the 1990s when really good surplus was cheap and plentiful. I ended up with cosmoline all over the house and a maxed-out credit card (was divorced at the time). I also obtained a manufacturer's FFL in order to comply with the laws governing the sale of jacketed bullets that I made on Corbin swaging equipment. During this period I had a home visit by a BATF agent who drove five hours down from Portland. When she saw my swaging press and supplies occupying a corner of my reloading bench in the den, she allowed as how this might not have been a good use of a federal agent's time. When I asked if she wanted to see my bound book for the C&R, she declined. After the five-minute chat, she drove back to Portland.
Makes a tax-paying American feel real good about things ...
:lol:
I did get a call last year from the National Tracing Center, asking about one of those Steyr straight-pull carbine in 8X56 Hungarian that I had traded or sold more than 10 years ago. The agent was tickled that I still had my bound book information handy, and I could help him out.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

6pt-sika wrote:If I'm not mistaken a C&R allows you to buy guns on the C&R list that are 50 years old .
Yes, it is an easy and inexpensive deal-- sort of an FFL-light license -- doesn't need a store front, does require keeping records of your acquisitions/dispositions. Covers lots of the stuff (say pre-63 Winchesters as of this year :D ) that us levernuts love, and you can get 'em shipped to your door. If you look on Gunbroker.com you'll see many of the older guns advertised as "C&R eligible". And if the seller doesn't mention it, usually an inquiry will stimulate him to realize that his item is so eligible.

If interested you can download the application off the BATFE website, I'm remembering it as taking about a month for it all to happen...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I think mine took more like six weeks, but I was surprised at how painless it was to get the license, and how good it felt to have the keys to the man toy store ...

:lol:
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

Sorry going to revive this topic for a sec.

Would it be worth getting an FFL to sell/buy ammo? No guns just ammo. Its not like the ammo manufacturers arnt' backed up them selves, and I doubt they would like oh lets sell to this little guy to help him start up while the bigbox mart and what have you are also trying to get ammo.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I think you might have a hard time getting a distributor to sell to you as a new customer now the way things are. I sent my license in when ol' billy boy made it to hard to comply, it just wasn't worth it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15