Poll: Do you own a "Trapper" length lever gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Poll: Do you own a "Trapper" length lever gun?

Post by Streetstar »

Since the pic request went up ............... receiver safety .45 followed by my somewhat custom Marlin, then the slick side Winny AE - also in .45

----- Doug
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

yup
trapper1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I have three: 1. Henry large loop carbine .22lr
2. Marlin 1894 .357 mag. (oops, I lied, just checked-18 1/2" barrel)
3. Winchester AE 94 trapper .44mag
Shot 1 deer(doe)with the Winchester in my back pasture.
The Henry is my go to squirrel gun, no telling how many I have shot, maybe 30 this year. Never used to bother them but all of a sudden they chewed a hole in my soffit and got in the attic, so now I thin them out. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Only one. :oops: A Marlin 1894P. 16.5", 44 Magnum ported. Other than XO sights, it's bone stock. It loves factory Winchester 240 JSP "White Box" rounds. Taken 2 deer with it....1 doe @ 9 yards, and a 4 point buck @ 35 yards. :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

It was my first levergun, bought from a friend of my dad for SASS shooting:
Winchester 94 AE Trapper
44 mag/sp
Pre-Safety

No game, but a LOT of steel. Shot 9+1 (tube's too short for 10 and specials don't feed realiably) in SASS for 4 years. Before I could save up enough for a rifle that could hold 10+.

It is my go to gun, truck gun, whatever gun. It is an extension of my arm and I can hit without really even thinking about it. I love that little rifle.
Chad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Winny 94
30-30
Factory
No game yet :(

16 inch barrel. Should make a great brush gun. Great idea for a post Joe! :D
fisheadgib
Levergunner

Post by fisheadgib »

Just one, a mod 94 wrangler in .44mag. Never hunted with it yet but it has sent a lot of lead downrange. Very fun plinker.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I have a Winchester 94AE in .45 Colt. I have taken one coyote, two or three armer-dillers, and a timber rattlesnake with it.

Also have a 9422Magnum Trapper. I haven't hunted with it.
Georgia On My Mind
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

yes, a marlin TDS in .22lr. 16 inch barrel. It is my primary small game rifle afield. bushy tails and ground hogs and bunnies and foxes.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

20"rossi carbine cut back to 16+. neat and handy,
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I believe mine was made close to the 1992 date when they first starting putting the Frankenstein bolt on it. It is close in serial number to my Big Bore which I bought in in early 1992(also has the crossbolt). I love the saddle ring on the Trapper as you can flip the ring up and it protects the safety from being bumped back into the reciever when you want the darn thing to go off. It now wears Ashley A/O rear peep with Ashley front blade and nylon sling.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Hobie wrote:A co-worker at the shop shot a deer this past season. Hit it low and it was eviscerated. STILL ran 75 yards. Animals don't know that what being shot is or that you are supposed to stop and die. They go until they can't. Nothing is 100% drop 'em where they stand.
Especially if you gut shoot it.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Griff, I am posting this picture just 'cause you are making me feel guilty...

I know, I know....terrible pictures, maybe this is better, it is the one on the far left....

Little bugger has taken 13 Whitetail, one Black Bear and one very large Bull Elk up in the Bitter Roots, across the Clark Fork. Pretty dern good for a "Trapper" chambered for that .44 M pistol caliber...

Those Timber Carbines don't count 'cause of the long 18 1/2" barrels!
Last edited by Old Time Hunter on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OTH,
There's not enough Winchesters in that second photo. You should do something about that. :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Joe, you are absolutely correct! Gotta do something about that don't I...

Found a Jap/Win Model 92 today....yep, Trapper size...chambered for .44 Mag, but the guy wants $900 for it!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

One, So Far.
Factory Marlin 1894CP (with paint & Sights),
.44 Mag.
My beat around gun. (If you look close in the photo I haven't gotten all the mud off from the last ATV ride)
Three does the farthest one ever went was 50 yards and a few feral critters that some used to call pets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned a few over the years.
Currently I have a 16 inch barreled Winchester "Lengendary Lawman" saddle ring carbine, unfired.

And a Winchester 94 Angle eject .357 trapper, which I have removed the crossbolt safety, and added a filler, which one of the guys on here made for me. It's a great shooter, and I have killed several varmits, etc with arround the house.

I also have a Browning 92, which I think pretty much qualifys as a Trapper in 44 mag. I have killed a few varmits with it.

And I also have a little Browning BL22 which is so short and light, that I would consider it more a or less a trapper.

As far as 30/30's go, I like Trappers but I think I like the old 20 inch barreled pre-64's better over all for handing and shootability, just my humble opinion.
NRA Life Member, Patron
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Paladin wrote:One, So Far.
Factory Marlin 1894CP (with paint & Sights),
.44 Mag.
My beat around gun. (If you look close in the photo I haven't gotten all the mud off from the last ATV ride)
Three does the farthest one ever went was 50 yards and a few feral critters that some used to call pets.
I like it.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Griff got it right, and I was one who contributed to the paucity of photographic evidence! :D
:D So I am making amends :D
Top is the 357Mag bottom is the 44Mag :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Pre angle eject 30-30. Like it so much that i'm looking for a .22 trapper, 39, 1873, henry,etc.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Nope, no trappers. Had one once, didn't care for it. Just to........short :lol: :lol: I like a 'rifle'. 24' or 26" best.

I did miss out on a 1894P over the weekend that a friend had for sale. Oh well, Prob'ly wouldn't have liked it either......... :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I have two, both 94 Angle Ejects in 45 Colt. Wonderful rifles, very versitle and accurate. Nice power also, esp in such a short light carbine.

I have a Franken Marlin 336 in 38-55 that I'm seriously considering making a trapper out of.

Cat
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Did I miss this thread? Better check my glasses; Trappers are my favorite!

We have a few: Winchester M94's in 44 Mag, 45, & 30 WCF; and the EMF 92 in 44 Special put together by NKJ. Only complaint is my long time favorite 44 Special load works in everything but the M92, so I had to go back to the reloading bench and range. :mrgreen:

The 45 & 44 Special have some pest ground squirrels and dinner rabbits to our credit. Rabbits aren't real crunchy, but they taste good and fit my idea of eating green. :D

EMF M92 44 Special:

M94 in 45 Colt:

John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wow, I'm gettin old. I saw this thread with my name on it and could not remember posting it. :oops:

Poohgyrr,
Make up some dummy rounds and send the .44 Spcl back to NKJ. I'll bet he can tune it to feed those rounds. At least if they are not super extra long or something weird.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have one. A marlin 1894 that is off at Wild West Guns getting a copilolt conversion. When it comes back, it will be a takedown, parkerized, recoil reducer in buttstock, ghost ring rear sights and glow in the dark front bead sight, scout scope mount, WWG trigger, action job, and med size WWG lever, straight stocked. Caliber is .44mag. I have not taken game with it, but the chamber and action will be tuned for Randy Garrets 310 grain Hammer Head ammo. This is my companion rifle to the Smith trail boss and designed to be my truck rifle, my takedown MC travel rifle, and camp rifle. It will start making meat as soon as it arrives. I sold the TDS I had when I responded to this topic before.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Just noticed that I already posted in this thread some time back.

:oops: :lol:
Last edited by FWiedner on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

94AE in 30-30,rebounding hammer but no safety.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Joe, I didn't remeber it either, and mayhave respondedback then but
1) Yes - two
2) 1979 W94.30-30 and Interarms Rossi .44 Mag
3) Factory, except I had the big loop lever on the Rossi swapped to another one for theregularlever--just seemed better sized for the little'r gun.
4) Nope no game--asyou say, yet.

Funny this came up again as I just had my '79 out admiring it today for the first time in quite awhile. In very nice shape with only some very bare hints of receiver speckling--of the kind you might even find on a Pre 64 that hadn't always been perfectly wiped down after an outing. My recollection is it's quite a kicker and fire-breather. Those 4" really do matter! But I still like it a lot.

Folks sometimes forget that an original, unmolested or un-humped-up Pre War 14-16" Trapper (aka baby carbine)--in both the 1894 and its 1892 cousin--is now just about the most precious of regular production Winchesters there is, even in today's economy. Very occasionally you'll run across an 1894 that someone isn't aware of this rarity (I did once but didn't even have the relatively modest fee then...shoulda begged, borrowed or...)...but very rarely an 1892 owner!

I did see an 1892 Trapper at a gunshow that with my learned but not expert inspection could not say had been refinished at all,or even freshened, but must have been. It was very nearly like new(99.5) ..and they had it loose in a rack along with a bunch of lesser guns! Looking back, it must've been Turnbull'd or such (without his usual case hardening) but again to these eyes did not look refinished/reblued or restocked at all. If so, the best fooling job ever. These folks were the sort that at least sorta knew their values (it was $4K) but otherwise didn't care and weren't conversant on (ie, not particularly Win or even lever folks),...but IF it was all original, their price was actually a little on the low end...I've seen these go for $10-20k anywhere near that shape--so made me wonder. Either way, it was moot as even their price was way beyond my mere mortal means...but what a gorgeous piece that really took you back to what it must've been (or now be) like to open a crate and pick up a brand spanking new ca 1900 Winchester Trapper!
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

Sorry I don't have a picture, but I have 1 trapper.

1894 Marlin in .357 that I bought new about 6 months ago. I traded in my Mossberg 464 and a S&W revolver for it. I just shoot at the range and didn't like the price of 30 WCF for just going down range. I own a Heritage Big Bore in .357 and figured I'd get a lever to match.

What I do find interesting is that here in Southwest Florida, you can find a good amount of 20 inch barreled leverguns, but finding a pistol caliber trapper is like pulling hens teeth.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nope, don't own a single trapper and never have. Don't know if I ever will. But, that's what makes the world go round.
Old Law Dawg
wsmrto
Levergunner

Post by wsmrto »

I happen to be lucky to have a Marlin 1894 S Limited (one of 250 made ) in 45 Colt with 16 1/4 barrel. Changed to Skinner sights both Ft and rear. Use 255 LFN over 11 Gr of unique, or 300 Gr Hornady XTP 's over 22 Gr of 4227. I have it set to about 2 in high at 50 yds and on at 100. I also have a very early issue 1895 GS 45/70, with the ported 18 1/2 in barrel. Got a huge Cow Elk with it several years ago. It was pole axed and fell on her feet, not one step forward, just lifted her front leg and fell on herself. Total of 360lbs of tender, lean boned out meat wrapped in the package. In addition a Win 94 20 inch also in 45, and a Marlin 336 in 30-30, new still in the box from 1998. I drew for a Deer hunt The end of Oct in the Guadalupe's of Southern NM. I will have two rifles depending on the days hunt, the short little 45 in the heavy scrub and forested areas and a 6.5 Swede in the open canyons and rimrock.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2 winchester 94s in 45. One wood and one synthetic stocked one, as well as a custom marlin 1894 in 44 mag
----- Doug
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

Just one right now, a late production Winchester Wrangler .44 Magnum with the tang safety. She's still pretty much stock, but I carry it a lot. It's got a groundhog and raccoon to its name, but that's all. When I tell the boys to go and get 'Dads rifle,' there's no wondering which one I mean. It was a gift from my wife and my mother before my 2007 deployment, so it means a lot to me.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have this one. A pawn shop score for a nice price. I have shot it on three occasions. The target is my first at 100 yards with it. The first shot in the white was holding the center of the black. The next two was holding the black on top of the front sight. The trigger on the gun isn't what you would wish for, but a little more refinement on the zero, maybe down 3", and I think the gun will be alright. Those shots were fired from sitting.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dave,

Your Trapper looks just like mine. Right down to the Williams FP sight.
The trigger pull on mine was also atrocious when I got it. Had a gunsmith take it down to a reasonable level and it's been one of the best lever guns I've ever owned. Also the one I've had the second longest, 31 years.
It's my "I'll turn loose of it when hell freezes over" 30-30.

Joe
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Yes. Winchester 94 trapper in 44 mag
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

1> Do you have a (any) Trapper length (16" barrel) lever gun(s)?
Yep, four of ‘em.

2> What brand and caliber is it?
Three Winchester '94s, two in 30WCF, one in .45 Colt, and one Mirukochester '92 in .45 Colt.

3> Is it factory or custom?
Two are factory and two are “semi” custom.

4> Have you used it hunting and if so what was the results?
Only used one hunting groundhogs on a friends farm (.45), results were very dead groundhogs. :wink:
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

J Miller wrote:Dave,

The trigger pull on mine was also atrocious when I got it. Had a gunsmith take it down to a reasonable level and it's been one of the best lever guns I've ever owned. Also the one I've had the second longest, 31 years.

Joe
I had a guy quote me $75 to make my trigger break clean at 4 or 5 lbs. I may take him up on it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dave wrote:

Joe
I had a guy quote me $75 to make my trigger break clean at 4 or 5 lbs. I may take him up on it.
Ah, you got a paranoid guy. The gunsmith that did mine took it down to 2.5 pounds. Been there since 1981. Well over a 1000 rounds in the 30-30 trapper and well over 3K rounds in the 45 Trapper.
I've run across a bunch of so called gunsmiths who would not take trigger pulls down below 4 or 5 pounds. It's not because it can't be done safely, it's because they are litigation paranoid. I don't let them touch my guns.

Joe
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

No. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

J Miller wrote:
Dave wrote:

Joe
Ah, you got a paranoid guy. The gunsmith that did mine took it down to 2.5 pounds. Been there since 1981. Well over a 1000 rounds in the 30-30 trapper and well over 3K rounds in the 45 Trapper.
I've run across a bunch of so called gunsmiths who would not take trigger pulls down below 4 or 5 pounds. It's not because it can't be done safely, it's because they are litigation paranoid. I don't let them touch my guns.

Joe
I guess I am the paranoid guy :lol: I am not sure how far down he would take it, but a crisp 4 pounds is fine for me for a gun like that. Emphasis on crisp.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I currently own the following:

Marlin 39 TDS 16+"
Marlin 1894 S Limited 45 Colt 16+"
Marlin 336 Marauder 30-30 16+" (Bought from TNBigBore, and it's one of the smoothest Marlins I own, and equally as accurate as it is smooth)
Marlin 1895 LTD III 45-70 18" (for that gun, I consider 18" trapper length; it is PERFECTLY balanced for one-handed carry around the receiver. IMO, the best modern 1895 variant every offered by Marlin, tied with the original 1972-issue "B"-prefix half-magazine straight stocked 1895s with the 22" bbl).
Two Rossi 92s 357 Magnum 16+" (changed the ejector springs and these are terrific little carbines that have no reason to be as accurate as they are. I can chase 4" cubes of oak around the 50 yd and 75 yd berms all day, hitting 9/10 or 10/10. It's almost boring).

I've sold off:

Marlin 336 SDT 30-30 16+"
Marlin 1895 SDT 45-70 16+"
Marlin 1895 STP 45-70 16+"
Marlin 1894SS LTD 44 Mag 16+"
(sold when I sold all the 44 Magnum toys last year and kept the more-interesting 45 Colt toys; I loaded 44 Magnum down and loaded 45 Colt up; I was stuffing 9 gr of Unique under 240 gr 44s and 250/255 gr 45s. Doh!)

Those four were too clubby with the bulky forends, and butt-heavy due to the density of the laminated buttstock. Even loaded, the guns would "settle in the stern" if one-hand carry was attempted at the receiver. And after handling slim Marlin "Cowboy" furniture, I cannot see toting an extra 1.5+ lbs of timber around when the CB guns just handle so much better.

Never hunted with any of them; I no longer hunt.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Why yes I do have a Trapper, and no you cannot buy it! :lol:

Marlin 1894P in 44mag, ported 16.5" barrel.

Factory stock as the day I bought it. Added an Ashley Ghost Ring rear sight and called it good.

Yes. Several coyotes, Several deer and a rabid skunk. Most were Bang/Flops with Winchester "White Box" 240 grain JSP's. 1 coyote ran 25 yards and 1 doe ran 10 yards. All shots 120 yards or less.

I'm about to send off a beater Marlin 336 in 30/30 for a chop job to 16.5" and a Cerakote finish afterwards. Hope it makes as many memories as the 1894P.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

I have a 9422/22lr Trapper and just love the gun. I have been looking for a trapper in 30-30 but they are very pricey in my area. I live the rifle and the way it handles and carries.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Late Pre USRAC (4928xxx) .30-30 Trapper for sale elsewhere. Not cheap but not ridiculous and as the saying goes (too often) "aint makin'these any more"...and appears as new. Someone'll get a nice little baby carbine. http://www.trailcreektrade.com/gunlist.html
Scroll down to "Old style...trapper."
No dog in this fight but great folks to deal with. Got a pair of NOS .44 Special Rodeos from them two years ago @ very reasonable and responsive.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I have one Winchester:
M-94 AE SRC 357 Mag.
Factory
Punched holes in paper.
Beautiful little rifle !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

Gak, Thank you for the heads up!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I almost forgot about this Marlin Marauder. It has aggravated me because when I put a Foolproof rear sight on it, the front sight was too short. Not a big deal since I wanted to replace the basketball size factory front bead anyway. I have installed a lot of front sights, but the dovetail on this gun is so shallow I have to hog a lot of metal off the bottom of the new front sight then final fit it.
First try the front sight was crooked when I got finished. Second try, knowing the situation, I was very careful and the sight turned out just crooked enough to aggravate you. I guess I need a mill or someway to slice a goodly portion of the bottom of the front sight off perfectly flat.
I ended up putting the Foolproof on my Winchester which didn't require a higher front sight and just leaning this gun against the wall. I did kill one deer with it with the crooked front sight a couple years ago but just one.
I am not sure how much I will use this gun but so far have not been able to bring myself to sell it.

tattoo13
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tattoo13 »

I have a custom 336, used it for deer, coyotes and armadillos hammers deer just like my other 336. I likes 170gr CoreLokts.
Easy in and out of the truck, easy to swing and shoot out the window (armadillos and coyotes).
I love it enough I keep thinking of paying for my Guide Gun to get cut down.