Gunsmoke Trivia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Gunsmoke Trivia

Post by MistWolf »

Griff wrote:In answer to the OP: Joshua Stryker, played by Morgan Woodward.
Interesting. According to my sources, the first Marshal of Dodge City was "Mark Dillon" in "Mark Dillon Goes To Gouge Eye". The first recording was made in 1949 with Rye Billsbury as Marshal Dillon. A second audition was done with Howard Culver playing the Marshal. However, Culver was starring in "Straight Arrow" and hos contract prevented him from accepting the role. A third "Gouge Eye" audition starred Jon Dehner in 1952 and it was this rendition that finally sold the series.

Griff, what have you got?
I am American
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

MistWolf wrote:
Griff wrote:In answer to the OP: Joshua Stryker, played by Morgan Woodward.
Interesting. According to my sources, the first Marshal of Dodge City was "Mark Dillon" in "Mark Dillon Goes To Gouge Eye". The first recording was made in 1949 with Rye Billsbury as Marshal Dillon. A second audition was done with Howard Culver playing the Marshal. However, Culver was starring in "Straight Arrow" and hos contract prevented him from accepting the role. A third "Gouge Eye" audition starred Jon Dehner in 1952 and it was this rendition that finally sold the series.
Griff, what have you got?
In the late 60's an episode had Stryker returning to Dodge City after 15 years in prison for murder while he'd been Marshall and Dillon had been his deputy. Dillon had been appointed after testifying against Stryker.

Radio might have played that different.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Griff wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:How many notches does Matt Dillon have on his gun?
One.

Ding Ding. Correct Sir.

One to remind him that he killed a friend.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Here is a pretty good link. You can click on the names to the right and it will give you trivia about each person.

http://www.gunsmokenet.com/GunsmokeTGAW ... smoke.html
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Is not the gun Dillon used most a 7.5" Great Western arms. I have a nickel plated version of it with the same fake stag grips. Think the original guns have barrels made by Weatherby.
xerts1191
Levergunner

Post by xerts1191 »

Here's a shot at answering the question about Matt's horse Buck, I believe he was a 1/4 horse buckskin gelding, I think all in all they used 3 over the year's?
xerts1191
Levergunner

Post by xerts1191 »

Here's one for yah,
Who is the man most famous for being gunned down in the opening scene of Gunsmoke?
He taught several Hollywood star's how to shoot. Good article about him in "Guns of the Old West" magazine spring 2011 edition.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Lever30 wrote:Here's one for yah,
Who is the man most famous for being gunned down in the opening scene of Gunsmoke?
He taught several Hollywood star's how to shoot. Good article about him in "Guns of the Old West" magazine spring 2011 edition.

Arvo Ojala
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Lever30 wrote:Here's a shot at answering the question about Matt's horse Buck, I believe he was a 1/4 horse buckskin gelding, I think all in all they used 3 over the year's?

You are correct. Several were used over the 20 year run. Festus calls his horse Buck one time and that is the only time a name is ever mentioned.

http://www.gunsmokenet.com/GunsmokeTGAW ... /horse.htm
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

Griff wrote:In the late 60's an episode had Stryker returning to Dodge City after 15 years in prison for murder while he'd been Marshall and Dillon had been his deputy. Dillon had been appointed after testifying against Stryker.

Radio might have played that different.
I did not know that. I've been watching Gunsmoke on Netflix but the Instant Watch only runs from Season 7 to 11.

I also came across a CD set that has some of the old radio shows including the Gouge Eye episode. I have become a fan
I am American
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Any of you remember this guy? Russel wiggins. He played on a few episodes of gunsmoke. Russ was a friend of mine and a guard with me at lockheed. He still may be there, I retired 11 years ago.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0927805/filmoyear
xerts1191
Levergunner

Post by xerts1191 »

What "Gunsmoke" character was in "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer, and what was his character name in the movie?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Lever30 wrote:What "Gunsmoke" character was in "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer, and what was his character name in the movie?
Buck Taylor...turkey creek jackson
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

RIHMFIRE wrote:What movie did James Arness star in that was produced by John Waynes Batjac
Production Company

"Gun the man down" is the answer!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

RIHMFIRE wrote:
Lever30 wrote:What "Gunsmoke" character was in "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer, and what was his character name in the movie?
WASN'T IT TURKEY CREEK JOHNSON ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Turkey Creek Jack Johnson and Texas Jack Vermillion.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Terry Murbach wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:
WASN'T IT TURKEY CREEK JOHNSON ??
oh well ..I was at least close..... :wink:
Buck Taylor is a very accomplished artist...
I saw some of his work on tv....most memorable to me
was the stuff he did for Tombstone...the Ringo Kid....Michael Beign
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

check out buck taylor
http://bucktaylor.com/files/prints.php

ringo kid is not list though.........
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You might not recognize "Curly Bill" in some of his other roles.

Powers Boothe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_Boothe

Or Ringo for that matter - says he started in Grease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Biehn
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lever30 wrote:Here's a shot at answering the question about Matt's horse Buck, I believe he was a 1/4 horse buckskin gelding, I think all in all they used 3 over the year's?
I believe it's called a "line-back dun". Every horse I remember seeing Matt ride has that telltale stripe down the center of their back... dark mane and tail, whereas a buckskin is generally just one color... and usually a little lighter or have "chrome" instead of darker points.

I believe there were more than 3, I've heard numbers as high as 6 or 7... officially, I think they admit to "several"! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Hey Rube, As far as I can recollect Festus didn't ride a horse but a mule and it's name was Ruth.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

There is a neat horse ranch along I-15 about 12 miles north of St. George utah. Neat white buidings with blue roofs. Someone here told me Festus, Ken Curtis, used to own it. You can see it well on the west side of the freeway.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Since one Wayne/Arness question was ask, what movie did they co star in that takes place in Hawaii?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

UncleBuck wrote:Hey Rube, As far as I can recollect Festus didn't ride a horse but a mule and it's name was Ruth.

Yep. He did ride a Mule.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Not just a Gunsmoke thing, but any of 'em. Does it bother anyone else that the good guys hardly ever gather up the bad guys' 92s and Colts/Great Westerns after they've killed or arrested them? They just leave them there in the dirt or bushes and ride off. Ditto the bad guys' horses. I thought those were supposed to be hard times! Also, it always struck me as almost irresponsible of Lucas to not even have a sixgun in his saddlebag or house. What if his 92 goofs, no backup? He's going to let some good-for-nothin' hoodlums kidnap Mark 'cause his only gun is broken or absconded with? The McCains hard working, poor ranch folk to go around buying expensive spare guns you say? He's killed enough bad guys to have built up an impressive Colt collection!

Back to Gunsmoke. I've seen Chester brandish a lever several times--almost begrudgingly--but any reason he entirely eschews a handgun, even a lil' belt pistol? Seems he gets caught gun-less fairly frequently, and thus at times he's less than useful to big Matt. Sometimes almost seems he's an anti-gunner. Traumatized over his leg injury or a family loss I've forgotten about?
These things bother :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I usually notice what they do with the guns - good point.

MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

jeepnik wrote:Since one Wayne/Arness question was ask, what movie did they co star in that takes place in Hawaii?
Big Jim McLain
I am American
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

MistWolf wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Since one Wayne/Arness question was ask, what movie did they co star in that takes place in Hawaii?
Big Jim McLain
Is that movie any good?

Last night I was watching Tall in the Saddle with John Wayne
and in the special features...it showed Wayne and Arness in the movie
Sea Chase......which was filmed in Hawaii
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gak wrote:Not just a Gunsmoke thing, but any of 'em. Does it bother anyone else that the good guys hardly ever gather up the bad guys' 92s and Colts/Great Westerns after they've killed or arrested them? They just leave them there in the dirt or bushes and ride off. Ditto the bad guys' horses. I thought those were supposed to be hard times! Also, it always struck me as almost irresponsible of Lucas to not even have a sixgun in his saddlebag or house. What if his 92 goofs, no backup? He's going to let some good-for-nothin' hoodlums kidnap Mark 'cause his only gun is broken or absconded with? The McCains hard working, poor ranch folk to go around buying expensive spare guns you say? He's killed enough bad guys to have built up an impressive Colt collection!

Back to Gunsmoke. I've seen Chester brandish a lever several times--almost begrudgingly--but any reason he entirely eschews a handgun, even a lil' belt pistol? Seems he gets caught gun-less fairly frequently, and thus at times he's less than useful to big Matt. Sometimes almost seems he's an anti-gunner. Traumatized over his leg injury or a family loss I've forgotten about?
These things bother :)
In my mind they just dont show the part where they gather up the guns. :mrgreen:
I think you are looking too far into it. They were old westerns. Most are not accurate depictions of what happened for real in those days.

The Rifleman didnt need a six shooter....he's the RIFLEMAN :wink:

Chester was prone to shooting himself in the foot.