Model 92 Deluxe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Model 92 Deluxe

Post by Pitchy »

Picked up this 92 deluxe last year, nice wood on it and a good shooter.
Whoops :oops: it`s a Browning 44 mag.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Model 92 Deluxe

Post by Griff »

Nothin' wrong with those Browning "clones." I love my Browning 1886!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Looks darn nice! And if it's not been said yet - WELCOME TO THE FIRE.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

A rose by any other name

Post by pricedo »

The Browning 92s as show in the pics on this thread are a beautiful rifle but unfortunately are no longer made.
The commercial agglomeration that now calls itself Winchester Repeating Arms now markets imperfect clones of the original legacy lever action rifles including the 1886, 1892 & 1894 for about $1500 a pop that are made in "upstate Japan". :shock:
I still consider Winchester lever action rifles not made in the New Haven factory clones even if they are made by a company that calls itself Winchester.......but that's just traditionalist old me.
I own 3 "pre-Braztec" Rossi model 92 clones without the silly lawyer safety switches that are on the new Braztec guns that are all good shooters in 357 Mag, 44 Mag & .454 Casull & they look more like the original Winchester 92s than the new Winchester 92s do with their cross bolt & tang safeties.
I paid an average of $500 each for my Rossi guns & they shot & functioned like a dream right out of the box & I'll bet that even for a $1000 difference per gun the dead on the ground bucks I harvested with my Rossi guns didn't know the guns that killed them weren't originals.
A couple of my friends told me that I got lucky and beat the odds by getting 3 good Rossis.
When I bought the Rossis I didn't know I wasn't supposed to like them.
Unfortunately I don't usually go with the flow & assess a gun or gun maker by anecdotal gossip but rather based on several thorough hands on trials by shooting at the range.
I wouldn't part with any of my Rossi 92s. :D
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Griff wrote:Nothin' wrong with those Browning "clones." I love my Browning 1886!
Me too, bought it new and a favorite.

Thanks for the welcome olyinaz :)

Yep the Rossi are good too, have the rifle version in 44. :)

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: A rose by any other name

Post by Griff »

pricedo wrote:The Browning 92s as show in the pics on this thread are a beautiful rifle but unfortunately are no longer made.
The commercial agglomeration that now calls itself Winchester Repeating Arms now markets imperfect clones of the original legacy lever action rifles including the 1886, 1892 & 1894 for about $1500 a pop that are made in "upstate Japan". :shock:
IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/ ... /howdy.gif[/IMG] Pricebo, Welcome to the Forum.

Subjects that have been cussed (not literally as we limit ourselves to only polite disagreements) and discussed at length. The new "japchesters" are being made in the same plant as the old "brownchesters", with exception of the mdl 94AE. That I understand is new machinery.

And, IME, you did get lucky with 3 outta 3 good Rossis. Mindya, my 3 worked, but they were neither slick, nor were they ready for a wide variety in ammo. A little trial & error and sweat equity has them now operating "...like a dream!" :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Griff wrote:
pricedo wrote:The Browning 92s as show in the pics on this thread are a beautiful rifle but unfortunately are no longer made.
Image Pricebo, Welcome to the Forum.

Subjects that have been cussed (not literally as we limit ourselves to only polite disagreements) and discussed at length. The new "japchesters" are being made in the same plant as the old "brownchesters", with exception of the mdl 94AE. That I understand is new machinery.

And, IME, you did get lucky with 3 outta 3 good Rossis. Mindya, my 3 worked, but they were neither slick, nor were they ready for a wide variety in ammo. A little trial & error and sweat equity has them now operating "...like a dream!" :lol: :lol:
You needed to bracket up the IMG tag on the left of the photobucket URL so I could see the graphic. I did the honors in the quote.
"Howdy" to you too.
I did indeed luck out on those Rossis.
I should have bought a lottery ticket at the same time while the lucky streak was still running & maybe then I could afford one of the new Winny legacy lever actions advertised on their website. I like the quality Winny checkering on the real walnut stock but that doesn't put meat on the ground or holes in the 10-ring just a lot more dollars on the hefty price tag. :lol:
A friend of mine complained about crumpled cases in an early Rossi .44-40 model 92 but Rossi has bought new machinery & pulled up their socks since those early days.
The Rossis may have a rep for being rough out of the box but I don't see any of the hotshots from Marlin, the new Winchester, Henry, Chiappa, Uberti, Pedersoli or Browning having the parts to market 92 clones in .454 Casull or .480 Ruger. I could be wrong but I don't see anyone elses guns out there on the shelves in the 2 "hand cannon" calibers I just mentioned.
I've fired 500+ full power .454 rounds out of my Rossi .454 & it's still "blueprint" (nothings moved) & I much prefer the Marlin 39A style push rod & loading slot in the magazine tube charging capability over laboriously loading every cartridge through the receiver loading port..........that's not Rossi rough.........that's called Rossi ROUGH & READY. :D
The rich satiny blue on my Rossis is as good as that on my old Belgium Browning BLR & that's saying something.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

No need for the "oops" at all. Looks great!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

What`s the difference between the Rossi action and the Browning, my Rossie rifle will cycle my cast elmer Keith style bullets and the Browning won`t, too long.
Is it because ones the carbine and ones the rifle ????
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I really like that buttstock. :D It sure sets it apart from others.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pricedo wrote: I much prefer the Marlin 39A style push rod & loading slot in the magazine tube charging capability over laboriously loading every cartridge through the receiver loading port.
Me too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have one too. The loading gate broke on mine. I was able to get one, but that was close to 30 years ago. The brownings is just one pieace, not two pieces like the original winchester.

Gary Norsk
Levergunner

Post by Gary Norsk »

B Bill the 92 browning has a one piece loading gate. ** Gary
Gary Norsk
Levergunner

Post by Gary Norsk »

Pitchy The carrier has a shell stop at the back, I had cut one back for a original 92 for the 218 Bee with a hack saw and a wood chisel about .060" it was soft as butter. You might ask Nate Jones about your rifle. Gary
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

[quote "I don't see any of the hotshots from Marlin, the new Winchester, Henry, Chiappa, Uberti, Pedersoli or Browning having the parts to market 92 clones in .454 Casull or .480 Ruger. I could be wrong but I don't see anyone elses guns out there on the shelves in the 2 "hand cannon" calibers I just mentioned.
I've fired 500+ full power .454 rounds out of my Rossi .454 & it's still "blueprint" (nothings moved) & I much prefer the Marlin 39A style push rod & loading slot in the magazine tube charging capability over laboriously loading every cartridge through the receiver loading port..........that's not Rossi rough.........that's called Rossi ROUGH & READY. :D .[/quote]

Would you consider the .454 Casull and the .480 Ruger "hand cannons" to be in the same league? I thought that the .454 Casull was a bigger beast than the .480 Ruger (in terms of performance and working pressure).
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

how about a turnbull 92. recreation of the winchester down to the color of the stain, no lawyer parts.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0007-1.jpg
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

buckeyeshooter wrote:how about a turnbull 92. recreation of the winchester down to the color of the stain, no lawyer parts.

How about it? :?:

I'll drop my family off at your place after I buy one of Doug Turnbulls fine looking guns because I won't be able to feed them for a month or two after I pony up the $1750 for the gun. :mrgreen:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

pricedo wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:how about a turnbull 92. recreation of the winchester down to the color of the stain, no lawyer parts.

How about it? :?:

I'll drop my family off at your place after I buy one of Doug Turnbulls fine looking guns because I won't be able to feed them for a month or two after I pony up the $1750 for the gun. :mrgreen:
That could be a problem! I have no family so I can eat peanut butter and jelly and spend the rest on leveractions! :D

Really though-- If you are looking at a 'new' winchester for several hundred dollars more you can buy it from Turnbull with the upgrades done. I'll probably buy a 71 from them this year after they upgrade them.